VW faces big test of dealer faith...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 5170
Originally Posted By: Garak
What really is the bigger picture, though?

In general, this populous is extremely concerned with "doing thier part" for a cleaner environment and conservation of resources, maybe not as fervent as Prius owners, but along the same lines. This issue is viewed as a betrayal of those values.

As a long time diesel owner, the angle Ive seen from most all is the benefit of logevity and reduced lifecycle costs as a result, via fuel savings.

Of course its harder and harder to achieve these days in the USA. Cake in the rest of the world due to fuel tax structure and whatnot.

Originally Posted By: wemay
The level of vitriol is what's disproportionate IMO. Anger for feeling betrayed is normal but the vehicles never left anyone stranded roadside. It doesn't let VW off the hook though. There needs to be a balance. I'd be more upset as a shareholder or dealership, and expecially factory employee.

Yes, there are reasons to be upset, but as you and I both note, it's disproportionate. It hasn't left anyone stranded, or in a coma or a coffin. And, has already been indicated, a large proportion of owners of diesel vehicles do so for fuel economy benefits, or just like having diesels.

Years ago, someone in this city had a Ford cube van, and had the side all painted up with their story about how it was a lemon and how much they spent on repairs and to never buy a Ford. It's such a garbage vehicle, yet your company continues to use it on a daily basis? Okay....

I had a '15 Passat TDI. Loved the car and got low 40's combined mpg. Volkswagen and Bosch gave me $30k for a car that I spent 22K on. I started shopping around and ended up buying two "New" never licensed 2015 TDI Golf's. One a sportwagen and the other a standard hatchback. The two vehicles cost me 38k and are financed at 72 months and no interest. I am getting mid 40's combined on mine. My daughter is getting mid 30's but has 80% in town driving. The inside of the tail pipe is pristine now just as it was before the "Fix". Very clean as long as you don't include the nox. I'm not mad at VW. It's too bad they got caught. Emissions per mile are excellent and were before the fix. The amount of fuel used versus the pounds of nox produced per mile make them a very clean car but nobody cares about that. I also like the driving dynamics, fit and finish and resale value on the diesels. I research and test drive almost everything that I desire when I go to buy new cars. I keep going back to VW's and Chrysler minivans for some reason.

I also had a VW diesel (Jetta) and sold it back. It was a financial decision. The VW was a nice car. They were paying a lot more than the car was worth. Plus there was the penalty payment. So, I added a few bucks more and bought a Jaguar XE diesel. The Jag ran about the same price as a Passat.

The Jag is better in every way save one: the trunk is smaller. Better mileage, better ride comfort, better handling, faster, and since it is mostly an aluminum chasis I expect it to last longer what with the salt muck that gets slopped on the roads here.

I did consider getting one of the '15 Jettas, but I was left with a lingering doubts about what other systems VW falsified test results for. The NOx rules are subject to questioning. A co-worker has rust starting on his Passat. Was it due to cutting corners on the galvanized metal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back