Brake pad/shim/clip replacement out of PM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been hearing some occasional brake squeal from the front brakes on an 09 Prius - the last year of the 2nd gen cars. The brake pads have about 50% left on them last time I pulled the front wheels to check the brakes, the car is just shy of 150K. I was debating replacing the brake pads, shims and abutment clips/support ledges out of PM and to hopefully cure this squeal.

I live in the valley of two hills so the service brakes are getting applied to scrub the rotors clean of rust, but I'm concerned about rust jacking. Am I over thinking this?

Might be worth taking the brakes apart, scuffing up the rotors with sandpaper, regreasing and replacing the abundant clips but for an occasional noise I wouldn't sweat it unless it is really bugging you

With the Fords, I always end up having to take the clip out and sand down the bracket and pad ear and then put it all back together. Otherwise they cause the brakes to get hung up.

If it was me and I was doing my own work, I'd just go in there and clean everything up. Make sure everything slides freely and wire brush clean the clips. If it still makes enough noise to bother you, then do the replacement. Worst case, you're out a couple extra hours.

Some would argue that if you're going in there, might as replace the pads, but I'm cheap and would want to avoid wasting perfectly good friction material.

Agreed, I would take it apart and scrape,scrub, and grease where necessary.

Nothing is as good as Toyota OEM pads. Every other aftermarket pad has been a dusty disappointment to me.

Grease the backings and slide pins. If its not one of those I'd guess it wouldnt hurt to fully clean out and relube the caliper bolts and replace the boots. Actually, I would replace the brake pad clips too, they might be worn too. Starting with the above should cost you +/- 10$ and solve it.

Last edited:
I'll take everything apart tomorrow, I have a tube of the mythical Toyota grease for the slide pins. I'll throw some aftermarket hardware for the clips, too late to get a dealer delivery for tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back