Had my first close call

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jacked up tendons and ligaments love MET-Rx Big 100 meal replacement bars. Take my word for it. And a good quality vitamin and mineral supplement.

This is exactly why I wont ride any more. I cant make the 6 mile trip to work without almost getting smashed numerous times. Last time I had to ride over a curb,sidewalk and bushes then ended up in the kmart parking lot.

No more for me.

iPhone picture of license plate and damage next time. Always file a police report. Sorry you had to deal with this, plenty of losers out there.

A couple months ago I was riding. The road I was on is busy 24/7. There is a car dealership up ahead on my right side, some person in a truck was pulling out of there to turn left as he saw an opening.

Knowing how some people gun it right after the person in front of them I hovered my hands of the clutch and brake. Sure enough I could see tires moving under the parked dealership cars. Some woman decided to gun it and turn right immediately after the truck in front of her was pulling out. She did not even look despite the obvious lack of vision from the parked dealership cars blocking a clear view.

It was a close call. I do not bother making a scene of things especially with how road rage has gotten people in worse situations. I went on my way and all was well.

Glad to hear you are ok

Thanks for your responses everyone. Luckily for my my arm has had no pain or issues. Just 1 tiny mark, her mirror must have been near falling off already. I have always told myself i would stop riding if i had a close call and this was it. Granted I rode for fun and practicality, it isn't a lifestyle thing for me.

Time to sell the Zuma and find a car I can mull over oil choices forever on!

I've had some close calls too, and the guy who discussed blind spots in newer cars is right on. I have 3" spot mirrors on everything I own now, esp the Challenger as there are serious blind spots on these cars. As far as riding goes, I keep on riding (with hi-vis armored jacket, knee guards and modulating headlight) and try to mitigate my risks because I love motorcycling that much. It's a sickness I tell you.

Hmmmm.....in my book, a close call is when you get to within a gnat's whisker of getting hit, but not actually getting hit.

But still, glad to hear damage to you and your bike was minimal.

And I'll concur with the other posters re: blind spots. They're not just at the 'to the left/right and slightly behind' positions, they're all around. A lot of modern cars for styling and (ironically) safety reasons have low-profile greenhouses and thick roof pillars which can make it difficult to see smaller objects like bicycles, motorcycles and pedestrians at a quick glance as they're more likely to be obscured. This does not absolve the driver's responsibility to look around the obstruction, but sometimes that doesn't happen and here we are.

So, it's just best to assume that the area in a 360° arc around any vehicle is its blind spot.

The Challenger is bad when changing lanes to the right. I adjust my RH mirror out further than I would normally do because the sail panel is so big and the pass. seat partially obstructs the quarter window.

Motorcyclists and bicyclists do their share of stupid stunts, too.

Years ago a motorcyclist made a quick left turn behind a pickup coming in the opposite direction. The problem? the pickup was towing an empty flat utility trailer. The biker was knocked off his bike and run over by two following vehicles that had no chance at 40-50 mph to miss him.

Even if you are careful, an expert rider on a good handling bike you can still get injured or killed by someone's moment of distraction or just being in the wrong place at the right time.

Riding today is more dangerous than ever with all the distracted drivers/zombies on the roads.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Calling the police most likely wont do a thing at this point. If anything, it would potentially hurt the OP.

Good point. Since it's been days, the OP might be looked at as a guilty party, too.

In my state the relevant statute covers " ... the driver of any vehicle involved in an accident resulting in injury ..... ", so, in my state, it's theoretically possible.

A couple of weeks ago there was some type of scooter / camry collision in front of my office. Enough force was involved to toss the guy's prosthetic leg unto the property next door. I heard the noise, and ran out to see the poor guy crawl about fifteen yards from the impact site into the middle of the road.

My faith in humanity was somewhat restored - instead of using the camry / scooter / injured guy as a slalom to negotiate at as high a speed as possible, motorists immediately blocked the road with their cars to protect him, and fortunately an EMS station is literally only a few blocks away, so he didn't have to lay face down on triple digit hot asphalt for more than a few minutes.

Glad you are o.k. Here's the deal.....don't ride in high traffic times or at night. Ride early Sunday mornings.

Originally Posted By: JoelB
I guess that's just how it goes sometimes with distracted drivers.

Still might be something to be learnt to try and help avoid a similar situation in the future. I believe the MSF is good in the USA - https://www.msf-usa.org/ , look up the safety booklets if you have not done already.

Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19
A couple months ago I was riding. The road I was on is busy 24/7. There is a car dealership up ahead on my right side, some person in a truck was pulling out of there to turn left as he saw an opening.

Knowing how some people gun it right after the person in front of them I hovered my hands of the clutch and brake. Sure enough I could see tires moving under the parked dealership cars. Some woman decided to gun it and turn right immediately after the truck in front of her was pulling out. She did not even look despite the obvious lack of vision from the parked dealership cars blocking a clear view.

It was a close call. I do not bother making a scene of things especially with how road rage has gotten people in worse situations. I went on my way and all was well.

Glad to hear you are ok

This is a total dealership thing. Dealership rows around here are notorious for T-Bone accidents. For some reason, these people simply freak and plow out into the road without using proper caution.

My best guess is that most people are absolutely horrible at judging range and speed and just say "the heck with it" and blow out into traffic.

People are even worse when it comes to motorcycles. They don't know if you're a mile away or a foot away.

The most frustrating part about the whole incident is that my confidence in my safety on 2 wheels is at an all time low. I'm not sure what else i could have done, I slowed down to turn slowly, no abrupt braking or sudden movements. I had my Hi-viz helmet and a colorful shirt on, I had my blinker on early and moved far to the right of the lane to try and get out of the way.

As far as my riding style I'm not sure what i can take away from this other than that people really just don't care about bikes.

Last edited:
Here's the harsh reality: We are all fallible.

If you're going to ride, it's strongly advisable to become the best rider you can be, for your own safety and enjoyment of the experience. But there are no guarantees.

I'm reminded of Larry Grodsky, one of the biggest advocates of Motorcycle Safety and proper riding training. He was killed while riding when he hit a Deer.

Are Motorcycles dangerous?, absolutely. I've known many people that have died on a Motorcycle. The majority of people find them to be too dangerous. Knowing the risks, yet still having the desire to ride, I've spent all of my riding life trying to improve my riding skills.

People have all sorts of methods to cope with the stress in their lives. Some people drink, some do drugs, some climb mountains, some obsess over Motor Oil, whatever.

I ride.

Originally Posted By: JoelB
The most frustrating part about the whole incident is that my confidence in my safety on 2 wheels is at an all time low. I'm not sure what else i could have done, I slowed down to turn slowly, no abrupt braking or sudden movements. I had my Hi-viz helmet and a colorful shirt on, I had my blinker on early and moved far to the right of the lane to try and get out of the way.

As far as my riding style I'm not sure what i can take away from this other than that people really just don't care about bikes.
It's not you...it's them. They don't see you. Stay away from traffic and don't ride at night. Take a MSF course and always Scan...Identify...Predict...Decide...and Execute an avoidance maneuver.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
Here's the harsh reality: We are all fallible.

If you're going to ride, it's strongly advisable to become the best rider you can be, for your own safety and enjoyment of the experience. But there are no guarantees.

I'm reminded of Larry Grodsky, one of the biggest advocates of Motorcycle Safety and proper riding training. He was killed while riding when he hit a Deer.

Are Motorcycles dangerous?, absolutely. I've known many people that have died on a Motorcycle. The majority of people find them to be too dangerous. Knowing the risks, yet still having the desire to ride, I've spent all of my riding life trying to improve my riding skills.

People have all sorts of methods to cope with the stress in their lives. Some people drink, some do drugs, some climb mountains, some obsess over Motor Oil, whatever.

I ride.

That's a dark art all of itself.

Too many go straight from an incendiary event to the seat of their bike and kill themselves.

Not saying that's you at all. Just reminded me of that unfortunate situation.

Best advice I have for the OP is to always assume the worst. Be a truckload more observant of the stupid things people do, and why they do them.

One thing I do is play a game you could call "What Idiot Will Do What". I'm constantly watching other drivers and predicting their mistakes. I've gotten really good at the game, and it has saved my butt too many times. When driving with people, I continually get questions about how I knew something was going to happen. Just experience and deduction.

In the OP's situation, he definitely should have maintained lane presence. Don't ever make room in a lane. Some jackhole will try to whip around you, especially if you are turning and take the side off of you. She was not distracted. She tried to pull a funny one and it nearly cost you dearly.

Remember that as a scooter driver, you are a menace to society, even worse than a truck towing a trailer. People see you in front and they'll sacrifice their first born to get around you.

Finally, always call the police on people who display disregard for human life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back