Why Do Ford Pickups Sell So Well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It makes you wonder. I see a lot of the new Super Dutys on the road. Man that is one ugly truck! Perfect "Bro-Truck" to lift and put a light bar on for all the guys who will never tow a trailer and want a status symbol.

Imo the ford bodies stay together better than gm and dodge. My 87 does not rattle. Every gm or dodge I have driven rattle like a can of marbles. My wifes 04 tahoe is miserable to drive becaise it rattles so much.

I have a feeling in the next 5 or so years Ford will be giving up the title in the US. I'm not sure who takes it but I see Ford sliding down a rung or two. I think they should be watching out for Ram trucks. I was a die hard Ford guy, if I were in the market for a pick up I'd buy a Ram. I have several friends that share the same views.

Soon, Mahindra will be the #1 selling brand in the US and Ford Chevy and Dodge will go out of business forever.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
Ecoboost has the other guys beat imho.
Ford did not take bailout money
Good marketing

http://www.factcheck.org/2011/09/ford-motor-co-does-u-turn-on-bailouts/

Sure, Ford took Government money. But it was not the same fate that GM had (loans + government ownership), or Chrysler (Forced marriage to Fiat and loans) had.

Ford is still owned by the Ford family - they have the controlling (or nearly) interest in the company. Had they did what GM and Chrysler did they would have lost that control which wasn't happening. So they mortgaged EVERYTHING including the name on the door to turn it around. NY Times Article

Was it a bailout? I don't think so as it seems a bit different than what happened to the other 2.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I have a feeling in the next 5 or so years Ford will be giving up the title in the US. I'm not sure who takes it but I see Ford sliding down a rung or two. I think they should be watching out for Ram trucks. I was a die hard Ford guy, if I were in the market for a pick up I'd buy a Ram. I have several friends that share the same views.

Doubtful they will lose the crown.
6a00d83451b3c669e201b7c91444a2970b.jpg

Still don't get the love for the Ram. It is outclassed in nearly every metric by GM and Ford. In the 1/2 ton space it's a distant 3rd in nearly all metrics, and the only saving grace in the 3/4 and 1 ton is the Cummins and I wonder how long that will last. Once FCA goes to the Chinese I wonder how many sales they will also lose.

Last edited:
All of my Fords have held up well and my next new vehicle will be another F150 mostly because today's affordable performance vehicles are trucks.
I'm going to better than the video, that's a super crew model, mine will be a regular cab, 8foot bed, 3.5 EB with 3:55 gears. Should weigh less than the truck featured.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
Ecoboost has the other guys beat imho.
Ford did not take bailout money
Good marketing

http://www.factcheck.org/2011/09/ford-motor-co-does-u-turn-on-bailouts/

Sure, Ford took Government money. But it was not the same fate that GM had (loans + government ownership), or Chrysler (Forced marriage to Fiat and loans) had.

Ford is still owned by the Ford family - they have the controlling (or nearly) interest in the company. Had they did what GM and Chrysler did they would have lost that control which wasn't happening. So they mortgaged EVERYTHING including the name on the door to turn it around. NY Times Article

Was it a bailout? I don't think so as it seems a bit different than what happened to the other 2.

Ford wasn't bailed out as a matter of pure happenstance. Ford had hocked the company to the gills to retool and as a consequence was sitting on a pile of cash and non-revocable lines of credit when the crash hit.

I like my Ford a lot---its a lot of capability for not much money and the 3.7L is a way underrated engine. But let's be historically accurate.

I am on my 4th F150. My current ride is a supercrew 4x4 with the 2.7 Ecoboost. (This is NOT the base engine in the F150 as mentioned in another post - for 2017 the base is a 3.5 l V6 (non ecoboost).))

Before I bought my current truck, I test drove the Ford, Ram, and GMC trucks. I was not interested in a Toyota, just personal preference. I found things I liked in all three trucks, and things I didn't like. In the end, I bought another F150 for a variety of reasons. That included:

-Good service from the previous three F150's (190+ thousand miles out of all before selling)
-Liked the Ecoboost engine feel and fuel mileage from the smaller ecoboost
-Aluminum body is a selling point in a state that uses a ton of salt in the winter

From a fleet perspective, we've always used either Ford or Chevy trucks and they all have their quirks and positives.

The Rams seem to sell a lot as you get a lot of truck for the money (as anyone who buys on will mention) as I found when shopping. The F150 was more up front, but it would pay for itself over its lifetime in saved fuel.

All in all, Ford sells a solid truck in a huge variety of flavors to meet just about any want or need and at the end of the day means they sell a ton of them...

Originally Posted By: pbm
If I were in the market for a pickup I'd buy a Ford over a Chevy based on Ford not taking a bailout.

You are, of course, free to make buying decisions on any criteria you choose.

Ford didn't need a buyout because through collosal mis-management during record vehicle sales, they nearly went bankrupt. As a result, they divested assets (selling car companies such as Jaguar) and went to lenders of last resort to borrow funds to take them out of a crisis. They did so at a time when lenders were not just lending, they were lending at a reckless pace. Armed with those funds, they were able to weather the loss of cash flow that affected all domestic car makers after the financial crisis.

GM and Chrysler were in good financial shape, but the loss of cash flow affected them deeply and forced a financial crisis not really of their own making. Furthermore, lending essentially stopped after the crisis, making the options Ford was able to avail themselves of impossible.

It just goes to show that you can't predict the future, and sometimes the world bites you despite all your best efforts.

Personally I would choose my next truck based on the merits of the vehicles themselves, but I'm not you. Both GM and Chrysler (RAM) beat Ford on the number of vehicles still registered over time (number of older vehicles on the road). There are more than just new car sales as a criteria for choosing a vehicle.

The differences in sales volume between the big three domestic truck manufacturers are real, but they are not huge. You could also say that more people choose trucks other than Ford (GM and RAM together).

Again, I am not criticizing your choice of vehicle ... if you want a Ford, go ahead and buy one. The differences between the major truck offerings are not particularly great; they all offer similar packages and get the job done. Ford makes a good truck, as do the others, and I would consider all three based on my needs and wants, just as I think anyone should.

I just don't see the buyout issue as some kind of badge of honour, or dis-honour. The auto manufacturing sector of the US economy is arguably the last remaining large manufacturing capacity, and still is a huge job creator. On a more long-term view, the US could not and cannot afford to lose the domestic manufacturing ability the Big Three offer. Just like the Financial Crisis was sudden and unpredictable, there is a Strategic need to be able to quickly transform auto manufacturing to military manufacturing should the need arise. Losing two major automakers would significantly harm that ability.

There are Ford guys and GovMo guys. They will support their brand even during times when the quality is lacking. I have a friend with a Chevy full size pickup. When he starts it up there is a very loud engine knock that runs about 30 seconds or longer depending on the outside temperature. He says it's the best truck he has owned.

The Big 2 will always enjoy good sales of trucks over the foreign brands. That's not to say the foreign brands don't sell well, Toyota has sold a lot of Tacomas and Tundras.

Not sure why Ford or GM trucks sell as well as they do. I have owned 87 cars and trucks including many Fords, Chevrolets, GMCs, and Rams. I would rate Rams first, Fords second, and GM trucks last. The GM trucks got last place because of numerous transmission issues in every on of them. My current Ram is the best of all in comfort, power, ride, handling, reliability and mileage. I will be staying with Ram in the future.

Originally Posted By: SilverSnake
Not sure why Ford or GM trucks sell as well as they do. I have owned 87 cars and trucks including many Fords, Chevrolets, GMCs, and Rams. I would rate Rams first, Fords second, and GM trucks last. The GM trucks got last place because of numerous transmission issues in every on of them. My current Ram is the best of all in comfort, power, ride, handling, reliability and mileage. I will be staying with Ram in the future.

When we bought our 2014 RAM we shopped hard. Drove Chevys, drove Fords, drove Toyotas, drove everything we could get our hands on. ALL of them were subject to my "24 hour test drive rule. We no longer trust the ten minute ride around the block idea. We need to get up in the morning and take them to work, play, etc.

We bought a RAM.

Now nearing 60k miles we are still in love with it. Smooth, quiet, great mileage.

Originally Posted By: George7941
but other than that their engines are pretty solid

Lolwut? Take a walk through the service department at a Chevy dealer. Count how many cylinder heads you see laying around on workbenches and toolboxes. Then go do the same at any other dealer.

Originally Posted By: cb_13
Originally Posted By: Elevguy
Originally Posted By: pbm
If I were in the market for a pickup I'd buy a Ford over a Chevy based on Ford not taking a bailout.
Ford took an EPA grant for 14 billion for development on alternative fuel vehicles but that not a bailout rite?

Student loans and welfare checks can both come from the government does that make them the same?

Well said.
I have a problem with GM because the stockholders took the hit while the unions were the winners....it's almost something you'd expect from a Leninist society...

Originally Posted By: itguy08

Doubtful they will lose the crown.
6a00d83451b3c669e201b7c91444a2970b.jpg

Still don't get the love for the Ram. It is outclassed in nearly every metric by GM and Ford. In the 1/2 ton space it's a distant 3rd in nearly all metrics, and the only saving grace in the 3/4 and 1 ton is the Cummins and I wonder how long that will last. Once FCA goes to the Chinese I wonder how many sales they will also lose.

Ram sales have been growing at a nice pace. You're correct, IF the Chinese buy Chrysler all bets will be off. That isn't cast in stone yet. IMO Ford quality has been dropping while their competition is slowly catching up. The aluminum bodies were a big mistake, I know a few people who were loyal Ford owners that swung over to Ram because of it.

Ram sales have been growing at a nice pace. You're correct, IF the Chinese buy Chrysler all bets will be off. That isn't cast in stone yet. IMO Ford quality has been dropping while their competition is slowly catching up. The aluminum bodies were a big mistake, I know a few people who were loyal Ford owners that swung over to Ram because of it.

Except GM and Ram have pretty much confirmed aluminum is on the table for them as well. I'd say the gamble paid off - sales are up 8% so far this year. In the 1/2 ton space they have to still meet CAFE and that means weight reduction and the easiest way is aluminum.

Sure Ram has been increasing bit it's starting to level off and GM was the one that lost the most. Ford has still been growing at a rate that is outpacing Ram's gains. GM is the one that needs to be worried - GMC and Chevy sales are off by -7.6% (GMC) and -5.8% (Chevy). Don't know why - the GM's are nice trucks too and both are better than Ram. Having the most cash on the hood has helped Ram a bit but I wonder how long that will keep up given FCA's dire financial situation.

2017 US Auto Sales
2017_Sales.png

Last edited:
I'm not sure why Ford trucks sell so well but I bet some of it is tradition and some of it is they do build a good truck. When I was in the market for a full size 1/2 ton in 2011, I drove all the brands and bought the Tundra. Ford was a very close second but the Toyota dealer gave me a better price. To me the Ford and Toyota were very close and I'm sure I'd have been happy either.

Like others here I shopped all the trucks in the 1/2 ton market. I found really good features on all of them. But in the end I chose a F-150. I like the truck and it is by far one of the nicest vehicles I have ever owned. I doubt I will be buying a new vehicle again. They are simply too expensive.

It will be interesting to see how they rework the Silverado's and the Ram's in the next few years. The air ride on the Ram is fantastic and the 6.2 in the Chevy is a winner. Ford and Chevy co-developed the 10 speed trans in the new F-150 and it will find it's way into the Silverado soon. The Toyota is nice but they need to refresh the Tundra. I don't know who signed off on the look of the Titan but they must be a spy from one of the big 3 cause that thing is *****. (still a nice truck)

Ford took a gamble on the aluminium body and it seems to be paying off. They have also doubled down on the ecoboost engine's and so far that is working well also. If you need a crew cab truck you can't beat the flat rear floor and the most interior room in the 1/2 ton market. I bought the 2.7 ecoboost in my F-150 and I drive it like a truck. I like the ride but to be honest all the trucks mentioned ride pretty smooth too. I think it boils down to choice of the individual.

So to answer the OP why are they selling so well... I still don't know but I think it's because they are a better product overall than the competition. I'm driving a lowly XLT model and it has so many features I can't imagine what all extra you get in the higher trim lines. I also couldn't afford them either. Good trucks are out there and if I found a good deal I wouldn't hesitate to pick any of the other brands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back