Fuel product for cleaning out catalytic converter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something strange I noticed when I took apart an exhaust system on a heavy oil burning car, the inside of the exhaust was filled with black soot, both of the oxygen sensors were covered in black sticky powdery soot as well. Not only did this engine burn oil regularly, it burned a heavy batch of oil when I started up the car after pouring a little oil into each cylinder to do a compression test (tons of smoke out the tailpipe).

But when I took everything apart and looked into the cats, they were the normal clean, grayish/white color. Not a trace of soot on the actual comb even though there was some slight soot on the inside of the steel housing of the cat itself. I assume the cat burns all of that off, I expected to see the comb covered in soot with passages blocked/reduced surface area.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
Originally Posted By: bigjl
THere is Ann additive in the UK called Cataclean that has been proven to work.

It is often used when a car fails its annual MOT emissions check.

A car trade magazine tested it and found that it improved emissions.

I have used it a couple of times on newly purchased runarounds and cars I had bought to resell to good effect.

If memory serves it also cleans up the lambda sensors aswell.

https://www.cataclean.com/

I used Cataclean on my wife's X3 when it was throwing a catalyst efficiency code; it kept the light off for over one year.

Nice result.

I used the diesel additive in my Jaguar XJL a few times as a preventative measure as lots of use in London traffic and having a DPF is a pain.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Cataclean sells for around $25-30.Worth a try????

In my personal experience I would say yes, it is worth a try

Also worth considering as part of a regular preventative maintenance routine. IMHO

Originally Posted By: Tman220
No additive that I could think of would make any difference at all.

The best additive as long as the Cats aren't too far gone already, is your right foot, use it! use it hard and use it often.

The best way to clean and keep a cat clean is heat, and working oxygen sensors of course.

+1 If this doesn't work it is time for a new cat

Originally Posted By: paulri
It says to use a bottle every 3 months. Is this what you did, or did one bottle do it for you?

Originally Posted By: MCompact
I used Cataclean on my wife's X3 when it was throwing a catalyst efficiency code; it kept the light off for over one year.

I just used one bottle every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back