Rotate air filter every oci?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately those diagrams are still in a lot of manuals, although the Nissan dealer here covers them. Ignorance is king. You study filters enough you would never try to clean them, both from the media structure and the fact that the exterior dirt increases the surface area.

As for:
Quote:
OK, some bad oil analysis results, claimed to be due to air filter cleaning (I assume with compressed air)
This is an interpretation of the results and, while it seems reasonable, doesn't seem to have been definitively proved.

There is a lot more there than oil analysis, but actual investigating and talking with the users who swear by cleaning "carefully"

And filters that are designed to be pulse cleaned are designed for surface load. The automatic systems shoot the pulse when the restriction goes slightly up. Once the frequency of the pulses gets too frequent (from saturation of the media), you change filters.

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
Do any of you rotate your filters each oci? By rotate I mean spin 180 degrees and reinstall.

No they are cheap enough I just replace it with every OCI.

Originally Posted By: Bear
Ha! Brings back memories. I did this every summer on my 350 4 barrel. It was a great sound!
But did that make it measurably faster?

My buddy forgot to put it back on his dad's pristine 350/4 bbl - we had to take my old Ford for a month ...

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Only if you flipped the lid over (you know you did) ...

I remember that.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: CR94
Originally Posted By: Bear
Ha! Brings back memories. I did this every summer on my 350 4 barrel. It was a great sound!
But did that make it measurably faster?

No, just sounded like it. What a roar!

Originally Posted By: widman
Unfortunately those diagrams are still in a lot of manuals, although the Nissan dealer here covers them. Ignorance is king. You study filters enough you would never try to clean them, both from the media structure and the fact that the exterior dirt increases the surface area.

As for:
Quote:
OK, some bad oil analysis results, claimed to be due to air filter cleaning (I assume with compressed air)
This is an interpretation of the results and, while it seems reasonable, doesn't seem to have been definitively proved.

There is a lot more there than oil analysis, but actual investigating and talking with the users who swear by cleaning "carefully"

As a reader, one can only go by what was posted. As I said, it seems reasonable, but it doesn't seem conclusive.

You've got some bad analysis results along with anecdotal evidence of filter cleaning. This is clearly a selected sample, and, on the face of it, it seems quite possible it is a biased one.

Are there similarly bad analysis results without evidence of filter cleaning, and if so how many cases?
Is there evidence of filter cleaning without similarly bad analysis results, and if so how many cases?

In the cases described, how carefully was the cleaning actually carried out?

Without that information one can't draw very firm conclusions.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Originally Posted By: widman

As for:
Quote:

As a reader, one can only go by what was posted. As I said, it seems reasonable, but it doesn't seem conclusive.

You've got some bad analysis results along with anecdotal evidence of filter cleaning. This is clearly a selected sample, and, on the face of it, it seems quite possible it is a biased one.

Are there similarly bad analysis results without evidence of filter cleaning, and if so how many cases?
Is there evidence of filter cleaning without similarly bad analysis results, and if so how many cases?

In the cases described, how carefully was the cleaning actually carried out?

Without that information one can't draw very firm conclusions.

I've probably got a thousand examples. Just last week someone came to me asking how he could possibly have oil consumption since he carefully cleaned his air filter every week. I see it over and over and over. Documented many times on my Spanish version of the site.

And many others who don't touch their filters until the restriction gauge hits orange who have practically no wear or consumption, including my Toyota T100 with more than 400,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
Do any of you rotate your filters each oci? By rotate I mean spin 180 degrees and reinstall.

I rotate my underwear, but that's it
smile.gif

>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back