Chinese looking to buy FCA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: edyvw

Problem is that Mercedes platforms are already outdated.

People keep parroting that statement about the Mercedes-derived LX/LC Chrysler vehicles with absolutely NO justification other than "its design roots go back to the 90s and the LX has been in production since 2005." Well, yeah? So flippin' what? Its not like there haven't been incremental (and not-so-incremental) improvements that whole time. I have driven the latest Camaro (Alpha platform, less than 5 years old) and the latest Mustang (similar). Other than the fact that they're both smaller and lighter and therefore inherently more nimble, there's not any glaring difference that can be attributed to the Challenger's "old" platform architecture. If anything, it is more remarkable for remaining in the same zip-code with them despite spotting them 600 pounds or so. Suspension tuning, selectable-rate dampers, drivetrain, interior, stability systems... ALL those are very improved in 2017 over what they were in 2005. Its not like engineers have discovered anything new in suspension design in the past 20 years anyway. Could the same size vehicle be re-rendered to save some weight compared to the basic chassis from 2005? Probably. But unless they make it SMALLER, its still going to weigh more than an Alpha-platform Camaro. I'll take the added size and better rough-road manners, since I'm not going to be racing it anyway, thank you.

What FIAT can offer for the future?

Now that is a very good question. Right now the Chrysler component of FCA is definitely short on money to develop new offerings. A new Wrangler is in the works, but a Challenger/Charger replacement probably won't happen before 2020 and maybe even longer for a major update to the Grand Cherokee (although nobody's gritching about Benz needing to update THEIR vehicle built on exactly the same platform... double-standard in full play). When you only have the support from the parent company to develop ONE platform at a time, things get grim pretty quickly.

It is outdated not because it is developed in 1990's. Who cares about that. I have engine in my BMW that is except two turbos, same since 1998. Problem is that platform is too heavy. As for MB, please, it is not double standard at all. It is not only platform, it is engines, transmissions etc. FCA did good thing to go and buy ZF products in order to be competitive, but they need to do something about engines to stay competitive. That is if you compare it to MB or BMW. If you compare it to Honda & co, FCA is fine, more or less.

Last edited:

People keep parroting that statement about the Mercedes-derived LX/LC Chrysler vehicles with absolutely NO justification other than "its design roots go back to the 90s and the LX has been in production since 2005." Well, yeah? So flippin' what? Its not like there haven't been incremental (and not-so-incremental) improvements that whole time. I have driven the latest Camaro (Alpha platform, less than 5 years old) and the latest Mustang (similar). Other than the fact that they're both smaller and lighter and therefore inherently more nimble, there's not any glaring difference that can be attributed to the Challenger's "old" platform architecture. If anything, it is more remarkable for remaining in the same zip-code with them despite spotting them 600 pounds or so. Suspension tuning, selectable-rate dampers, drivetrain, interior, stability systems... ALL those are very improved in 2017 over what they were in 2005. Its not like engineers have discovered anything new in suspension design in the past 20 years anyway. Could the same size vehicle be re-rendered to save some weight compared to the basic chassis from 2005? Probably. But unless they make it SMALLER, its still going to weigh more than an Alpha-platform Camaro. I'll take the added size and better rough-road manners, since I'm not going to be racing it anyway, thank you.

Absolutely true. My "aging platform" is an 06 and was just shuttling clients to lunch a few days ago. This fellow owned an F1 team and thus has a stable of cars you would not believe. His wife was with us. Both had nothing but praise for the ole SRT, and he demanded seat time on the way back. Could not believe it was an 06 with 107k miles on it. Hung out the tail a bit and ran her up to 120 and then asked me to come over this weekend and play with his toys, too! He has an older 360 Modena and a beautiful CTS-V wagon among others.

I love my job...

It is outdated not because it is developed in 1990's. Who cares about that. I have engine in my BMW that is except two turbos, same since 1998. Problem is that platform is too heavy. As for MB, please, it is not double standard at all. It is not only platform, it is engines, transmissions etc. FCA did good thing to go and buy ZF products in order to be competitive, but they need to do something about engines to stay competitive. That is if you compare it to MB or BMW. If you compare it to Honda & co, FCA is fine, more or less.

You still haven't given any reason whatsoever that it is "outdated." Weight is proportional to size, we already addressed that. There's a market for a larger/heavier coupe than a Camaro or Mustang, and the Challenger fills it. Its not the fastest, not the most nimble on a road course, but it IS the best for having fun in the hills and then driving coast-to-coast on the interstate if the mood strikes (been there, love it).

As for the Jeep: the lack of Benz engines and the presence of Jeep 4x4 hardware is the most appealing thing about the WK2 as opposed to am M-class that might be able to hop a curb at Saks 5th Avenue... with a push from a Jeep.

As for the Jeep: the lack of Benz engines and the presence of Jeep 4x4 hardware is the most appealing thing about the WK2 as opposed to am M-class that might be able to hop a curb at Saks 5th Avenue... with a push from a Jeep.

HAW! LMAO!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back