Future oil change method

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if this has been posted : http://www.motortrend.com/news/your-next-car-might-change-its-own-oil-technologue/ : Not enough info to really evaluate this system. Initial impression : Seems incredibly bulky, expensive, weight distribution seems wrong. I'm sure theirs more to it then what's listed in the article. Got me thinking though. How about just getting rid of the "archaic" task of having to get under the vehicle for service. It Wouldn't be that expensive to engineer a way to change the oil & filter from the engine bay.

Yes, many folks don't get under their vehicle when changing their oil. Certain Mercedes, Subaru, Toyota and other vehicles have their oil filter up top and in addition, use a suction pump(putting the hose down the dipstick tube) and pump out the oil. Me? I still crawl underneath the vehicle!
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: Ammofirst
Seems incredibly bulky, expensive, weight distribution seems wrong. I'm sure theirs more to it then what's listed in the article. Got me thinking though.

Its first application is in the Aston Martin Vulcan, which is a factory-special race car. I'm sure it doesn't mess with the weight distro that badly.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
At 79 years old, I changed my oil & filter yesterday, under my Mazda CX5. I would admit, it is not as easy as it was 30 years ago :)) Ed

At 83 with one knee recently replaced and the other going bad, its now someone else's turn to get under! LOL

Originally Posted By: tc1446
Originally Posted By: Eddie
At 79 years old, I changed my oil & filter yesterday, under my Mazda CX5. I would admit, it is not as easy as it was 30 years ago :)) Ed

At 83 with one knee recently replaced and the other going bad, its now someone else's turn to get under! LOL

It sounds like you have a grandson or great grandson or daughter that needs to be in your training program. Yep grand daughters need this experience too!

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Yep granddaughters need this experience too!

I think everyone should do it once in order to get a driver's license!

Originally Posted By: Linctex

Is this a gag?
What does changing oil have to do with knowing how to drive?

How to search for stuff already discussed here on BITOG:
google.com
type in "nexcel site:bobistheoilguy.com" in this case, since nexcel is the key, unique word.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi

Is this a gag?

To operate a piece of equipment properly, you should know how it works.

Made my wife change the oil on our car, she even serviced the brakes.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi

Is this a gag?

Yes I'm amazed they don't make you demonstrate you know how and are able to change a tire as well.

To operate a piece of equipment properly, you should know how it works. Made my wife change the oil on our car, she even serviced the brakes.
I would settle for just having any driver know what to do if they see an Oil Pressure Low light (pull over when safe). And certainly the importance of checking oil level once a month at least & looking for oil puddles/drops under the engine routinely.
Then there is the importance of pre-ride walk-arounds to look at tires and maybe check pressure.

Actually working on the car (changing oil, etc.)??? Not necessary at all.

TPMS was mandated for tire pressure. Another dumbing down of driver. I have couple vehicles that have coolant level monitors. Really surprised that oil level monitor has not been applied.
But thinking of what a driver should know, we are now putting driverless cars on the road!

Last edited:

First of all, changing the oil doesn't really tell you how a car works...you can't even really see what is being lubricated.
Secondly, cars have lots of advanced electronics in them these days...do I need to give you a primer on semiconductor physics for you to be able to drive, too?

Drivers need to concentrate on their surroundings and know how to control their vehicle. Working on a car is not practical for many people who live in apartments and condos...the people who pull their cars or trucks up on the curb and dump oil that is never cleaned up all over common property are not to be emulated in the slightest. As for those who would come into the parking garage where I worked on the weekends and then leave their used oil and rags in a parking spot...ugh.

It's a bit more effort to crawl underneath the vehicle, but it also gives me the chance to inspect hoses, cv boots, belts, etc. Allows me to be more proactive with other things.

Originally Posted By: 28oz
It's a bit more effort to crawl underneath the vehicle, but it also gives me the chance to inspect hoses, cv boots, belts, etc. Allows me to be more proactive with other things.

Agreed. I rotate my tires and inspect the brakes every oil change. Can't do that on the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back