Penrite 10 Tenths for Mercruiser

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jauggernaut,

Any updates on the Penrite's performance? Happy with your choice?

Am looking for an interesting substitute for the semi synth Merc 25w 40 myself..

cheers.

Very happy with it. No analysis done at this stage though so I can't provide any quantifiable analysis or whether there are any issues - likely to change in July/August and have analysis done then. I've already bought more of the same for my next oil change.

Oil usage is virtually non existent as in I haven't had to top the oil up since it was changed last year - unlike the merc oil which I was topping up from time to time and moreso over the service life of the oil. It's a "light" 50 weight per the specs and accordingly oil pressure is only ever so slightly higher than the merc oil - so I'm happy with the weight of the oil compared to the merc oil. Pressure has remained consistent throughout the service life so far. Colour looks good and is similar to the merc oil which did a great job of keeping the motors clean as evidenced when I had to change the seals for the remote oil takeoff which were spotless and impressive since these motors are 12 years old.

I waited till Repco had 30% off so picked it up for a good deal cheaper than normal pricing and ends up just under $50 for 5 litres - or just under $200 for an oil change for me.

Last edited:
That all sounds pretty positive J, good stuff.

Do you think the 15w 50 would be ok in a Merc outboard? (2013 150hp four-stroke) or would the 10w 40 (10/tenths) be a more appropriate grade?

The manual says the usual 25w 40 for general use or 10w 30 for skiing/tournament fishng blah blah but I

just got an email from Supercheap advising of a 35% discount special on Penrite over the weekend, so I have an itchy trigger finger...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back