Dipstick reading on first pull or second pull?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is why I love the digital oil level gauge in my car. The dipstick back there is a pain to read: the tube is basically horizontal and the oil stays crystal clear. So one half of the stick is covered with oil on a warm engine and the other is unreadable.

As long as the dipstick is wet, I trust in the digital readout. Warm, cold whatever. As long as it doesn't read overfilled I'm happy.

Probably doesn't make much difference but, oil does have some capillary action and that is why manufactures suggest checking warm. I addition, if you check cold, there is some chance that the oil filter has leaked down some and then the reading will be higher than reality. My manual says check after waiting 5 minutes after shutdown. I also have found that if I wipe the first pull totally dry and insert the dipstick SLOWLY that I get a repeatable reading. Ed

First pull when cold. Six hours of sitting also works (like at lunchtime when at work). I doubt the oil wicks up the dipstick that much, nor do I think the level is that critical. Between the lines and biased towards the top one, good 'nuf for me.

If you are unsure, try reading the dipstick on first, second, and third pull. Remember when the readings became repeatable. That is your true reading.

Originally Posted By: shrooms
Overnight first pull. Done.

Yup, second pulls only give me smeared readings.

when it says check level when warm does that account for the oil capacity listed in owners manual?
For example you drain a cold engine along with filter change. Then add the capacity listed. What does the dipstick read now and when it is warm. Just have to pay attention to few details and be consistent.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
If you check when it's cold, as I have always done, first pull ought to do it.

+1 ... I always check the oil level cold, much easier to get a consistent reading and easier to see on the dipstick, and 1st pull works every time.

Then you have the engine in the S2000 and you have to read both sides of the dip stick and ues the side that shows the oil lower. I've seen(in my S and others) show full on one side and 1 qt. or more low on the other. Some have lost thier engine because of that quirky dip stick reading, they thought they had oil and they were over 3 qt's low. I read a few years ago that the dip stick comes real close to the block and picks up oil on one side only.

Thats one of the first things the people tell new owners when they post on S2ki they just got an S2000 for the first time. That and only use the Honda S2000 oil filter sold by Honda. It's a magical oil filter.

ROD

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
With Magnatec it is a c-rap shoot.

Thank god I'm not the only one. Can't get an consistent reading to save my life. In fact, I added oil yesterday and now I'm wondering if I actually needed it. Frustrating.

I seem to get a better reading on the second cold pull after a wipe, but the first cold pull usually is pretty decent. I still check twice due to OCD. I try to get it just a bit underfilled during a change and then top off based on a cold reading after some driving.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Probably doesn't make much difference but, oil does have some capillary action and that is why manufactures suggest checking warm. ...

Makes a ton of difference on my cold first-pull reading (at least with the current Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20). Entire dipstick is wet. Repeatable every time. Have to wipe and recheck. Capillary attraction is the only explanation I could deduce. I actually think it could be a good thing if oil stays stuck to other parts as well.

This BITOG !! Proper Reading of Dipstick from a cold engine :

1. Pull dipstick , read briefly to get a general idea of level , wipe clean , reinsert dipstick.
2. Pull dipstick , read , swivel slightly to get different light angles on the dipstick , wipe clean , reinsert dipstick.
3. Pull dipstick , read in the strongest light , hold the dipstick level , now get close for a good fuel dilution sniff, wipe clean , reinsert dipstick.
4. Now study paper towel (always white to check the color of the oil) , now one final sniff of the paper towel and your done !

*start to finish - about 7 minutes ...

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46

1. Pull dipstick , read briefly to get a general idea of level , wipe clean , reinsert dipstick.
2. Pull dipstick , read , swivel slightly to get different light angles on the dipstick , wipe clean , reinsert dipstick.
3. Pull dipstick , read in the strongest light , hold the dipstick level , now get close for a good fuel dilution sniff, wipe clean , reinsert dipstick.
4. Now study paper towel (always white to check the color of the oil) , now one final sniff of the paper towel and your done !

What, you don't give it a little taste at some point?
Poser!!!

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted By: ChrisD46

What, you don't give it a little taste at some point?
Poser!!!

just having a morning coffee, and checking out bitog, for a laugh. bitog NEVER disappoints.

chris-- you have turned checking-your-oil into a one beer job.you must be having a beer during this procedure, or it wouldn't be taking 7 minutes. good approach. i'll have to try it.
thanks for a morning laugh.

I have a lawnmower that has a black dipstick and the oil will climb to the top of the dipstick over night. I pull it and wipe it off then reinsert and check. Get correct readings after the first pull. I think the finish or texture of the dipstick causes the oil to wick up.

I do first pull when the G37 is sitting for the night and has all drained down nicely. When I would check the taxis, which were running all day and checked after shut down, it would be the second pull. With respect to jonnied1's mention of lawnmowers, my mower requires a wipe, since you're not supposed to have the dipstick in all the way when checking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back