New SUV thoughts and opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Toyotas leather is the worst!

I have factory leather in my 20 year old 4Runner. It still looks and feels good. Although it's not the most supple leather I've ever had/have in a car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Astro14
Roofless VW, I see the V90 has made your list. It's an attractive car, and I like it a lot more than the SUV. I've not seen one in showrooms, yet, have you? What did you think?

Yeah we stopped by our local store and they had one almost exactly how we wanted it. If it had the charcoal leather interior, we would have bought it on the spot. As badly as I want the light leather I can't abide it with two kids.

In my opinion it was better than the XC90. No unnecessary third row and a lower + more comfortable ride. Same great interior and adjustable air suspension. Same great everything, really, in a package that makes more sense to me.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Wish there was another engine option apart from the strung up 2-liter I4. Its long term reliability makes me nervous.

I'm not too worried about it. Volvo has a great new car warranty and I'm sure it will be plenty of time to shake any gremlins out.

Originally Posted By: 02SE

I have factory leather in my 20 year old 4Runner. It still looks and feels good. Although it's not the most supple leather I've ever had/have in a car.

I've had many Toyota and Lexus vehicles, mostly ten years old and older at the time, and those that had leather all had major issues with the seats (tearing of bolsters, eventually tearing of seat bottoms), crusty steering wheels, even delaminating shift knobs. I've fallen back into possession of a '96 Avalon that I first purchased in 2006 and that car also has major seat leather issues. I even replaced its steering wheel with an NOS part I found on eBay recently because its steering wheel had discolored and began disintegrating at the seams. Bad Toyota!

Originally Posted By: 02SE

I've had many Toyota and Lexus vehicles, mostly ten years old and older at the time, and those that had leather all had major issues with the seats (tearing of bolsters, eventually tearing of seat bottoms), crusty steering wheels, even delaminating shift knobs. I've fallen back into possession of a '96 Avalon that I first purchased in 2006 and that car also has major seat leather issues. I even replaced its steering wheel with an NOS part I found on eBay recently because its steering wheel had discolored and began disintegrating at the seams. Bad Toyota!

Maybe it's my OCD and the fact that I worked on consumer cars for years, so I learned early on what happens to all neglected vehicles.

I've owned the old 4Runner since new, so it's leather (and everything else) has always been cared for. I had it out on the Salt Flats for Speedweek last weekend, and two random strangers at separate times came up and complimented it, and asked if it was for sale.

These days it's my fourwheeling, and winter driving vehicle. The annual mileage is usually around 2k miles.

I wouldn't say the MDX isn't a luxury vehicle but it certainly is well regarded for performance, reliability, resale, etc. (not to mention the latest refresh looks really good) when compared to vehicles that cost more. It's a no brainer in terms of bang for your buck.

The Infiniti QX60 is a compelling choice as well. Had one as a rental in D.C. and it rode and drove really nice. The only negative I could find with it was the fact it looked a lot like the Nissan Pathfinder its based on at a much higher price point.

If it were my money, I would be looking at the Cadillac XT5. I wasn't crazy about American car design in the past, but in recent years GM has really cleaned up their interiors to the point that I prefer them.

Originally Posted By: methusaleh

The XC90 is a vehicle perhaps perfect for me-- on paper. Of course, there's more to it than that. I grew up in a Volvo-loving family and had a 240DL at one point in college; that car was nearly immortal and is probably still in service somewhere. Family friends own what was a high-volume Volvo (and other European marques) dealership, where we purchased our cars and had them serviced. Fifteen years or so ago, long after my 240DL was sold, I ran into the gentleman who was the dealer principal of the above-mentioned Volvo facility. I hadn't seen him in a while. We had some small talk about Volvos, when he shocked me by telling me that he no longer sold them and didn't do much service work either. He told me that the Volvo corporate structure was different and they had constant problems, including warranty work and timely parts sourcing. He said his experiences were so bad that they chose to drop the brand entirely. I know this is just one person's input, but that man is a family friend going back decades, and he loved (and still loves) Volvos, so for him to tell me that meant a lot and permanently turned me off from considering another Volvo.

Your friend sounds like a smart person. His reasons for avoiding Volvo are similar to mine.

coffee2.gif

I drove a Volvo XC90 for three years. The 2.5T which was rock solid. Volvo got the SUV thing right. My son drives it now. Not a rattle or squeak of anything after 11 years...it's an 06. I just bought a low mileage MKX. It's a great car and yes, it's definitely a luxury vehicle with real would finishes and AC seats. It's a solid, quiet ride and Ford/Lincoln got it right by going with Microsoft and the Sync system.
I do miss a turbo engine though. The new XC90 is awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back