QSUD not good for ecotec engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah Shell purchased the merged Pennzoil - Quaker State business what, 15 years ago? That company no longer owned any operating refineries IIIRC so even the feedstock sources for the legendary "waxy" Group I base motor oil were gone before then.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
QSUD is full a synthetic and Formula Shell is a conventional...or is this Formula Shell a synthetic version?

I was going to ask the same question, wanted to try Shell synthetic and the only oil of that brand at the HD near me was conventional. I have only seen Formula Shell synthetic in quarts at Shell gas stations.

I had a Ford pickup F150 with the 360cu.in. v8 that did the same thing. Was using Quaker State at a qt/1000 and went to Shell 10-40 and it stopped using it on 3000 mi OCI..

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Originally Posted By: urrlord
Different add packs if I remember the PQIA breakdowns of the oils.Could make a difference.

Both use Infineum additive packs. QSUD has about 20 percent more calicum.

Just took a look Formula Shell has 4x the moly -226 vs 58 and a bit more boron -74 vs 5.
Could make a difference.

Different add packs if I remember the PQIA breakdowns of the oils.Could make a difference.

QSUD has 200 moly while Penn 56. Otherwise, everything else is pretty much identical.

Originally Posted By: Bud_One
Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
Don't Quaker and Pennzoil leave wax inside the components? Formula might have cleaned it.

They're all made by Shell now.
Uh, oil IS liquid wax ...

Last edited:
There is really no use in looking for a root cause. Some engines just really dislike certain oils for certain reasons, be it additives, base stock, etc. I'm glad you found something you like that works!

Originally Posted By: SF0059
There is really no use in looking for a root cause. Some engines just really dislike certain oils for certain reasons, be it additives, base stock, etc. I'm glad you found something you like that works!

I have a new OPE engine and it ran on T6 from the factory. It is now eating oil at a moderate rate on Napa FS where it used zero using the T6. Smokes on start up too. Simply put even though I'm only one third through the OCI I will pull out the Napa and go back to the stellar T6. What's a few bucks. People will say not possible until it happens to them. I've seen this many times. Good Luck OP.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Originally Posted By: SF0059

I have a new OPE engine and it ran on T6 from the factory. It is now eating oil at a moderate rate on Napa FS where it used zero using the T6. Smokes on start up too. Simply put even though I'm only one third through the OCI I will pull out the Napa and go back to the stellar T6. What's a few bucks. People will say not possible until it happens to them. I've seen this many times. Good Luck OP.

Probably not relevant to a vehicle, but my 1 year old lawn mower started smoking like mad out of the blue one day a couple weeks ago. Oil level was right at the H mark and I was about to suck it out and put in a different oil when I decided to take out a couple ounces instead. I dropped the fill to just below the H mark by an ounce or two, and viola, no more smoking at all. So, on OPE, at least, the level matters when it comes to smoking and/or consumption.

Well soon I'll find out about the QSUD mystery I have a jug of their 5W-30 that's going into my non oil burning 2004 Toyota Corolla S. I change brands of oil frequently because I buy what's on sale and search for additional coupon savings. This oil cost me $13.24 for a 5 quart jug!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Well soon I'll find out about the QSUD mystery I have a jug of their 5W-30 that's going into my non oil burning 2004 Toyota Corolla S. I change brands of oil frequently because I buy what's on sale and search for additional coupon savings. This oil cost me $13.24 for a 5 quart jug!

This would be a great follow up.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Originally Posted By: Matagonka
QSUD has 200 moly while Penn 56. Otherwise, everything else is pretty much identical.

Just took a look Formula Shell has 4x the moly -226 vs 58 and a bit more boron -74 vs 5.

What??? Reference? You two are not matching PQIA results in a variety of grades.
http://www.pqiadata.org/FormulaShell10W30.html
http://www.pqiamerica.com/Nov2013/shellformula.htm
http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/Marchsyntheticsallfinal.html

You're looking at older analyses.

http://www.pqiadata.org/Pennzoil_Platinum_0W20_dexos.html

http://www.pqiamerica.com/June 2014/quakerstate.htm

I see QSUD uoa's with anywhere from 60ppm to almost 300ppm of moly. How much moly does it actually have?

As someone has already stated, some engines just work better with certain oils.

My engine tends to go through oil rather quickly no matter what brand if I use 5W-30. It's better as a general rule with 10W-30, but there are some brands that it will go through more quickly than others even then.

Fortunately I have been able to correlate the rate of consumption to the oils' NOACK values, roughly speaking. The lower NOACK 10W-30s do the best in my engine, so I stick with those to minimize top-offs (and catch can drains).

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

This would be a great follow up.

2004 Toyota Corolla S 112500
Out: Mobil 1 10-30
Bosch Premium

In: QSUD 5W-30
Purolator One

Originally Posted By: nickaluch
I remember Benzadmirial on this forum had a Buick regal with the same ecotec motor using QSUD and it was consuming oil like crazy. Interesting

It did. I went back to the dealer AC Delco 5W-30, and seemed to have no trouble. The next change, this one I'm on now, was also dealer oil (though they said they use full synth now), and I've lost 1.5 quarts in 2400 miles. Same driving as before, 70% city, hardly a difference in any conditions. No visible leaks.

Two quarts of oil to top off in 5000 miles isn't going to break me. But it is puzzling.

I tried some calicum once. Tasted horrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back