2017 Solar Eclipse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
the fact that for everything to line up the way it does on Earth to actually have total solar eclipses (they don't happen on other planets), it's somewhat spiritual. For me, it reminds me how infinitesimal I am in the grand scheme of the universe.

That's the part that really gets me into deep thought places too.

It's a great example of why so many things around us are not just random "coincidences", but rather by design.

+10000

Not a good day for sunbathing!

I was curious and made some calculations. The 80% totality we just experienced is darker than the sunlight Mars gets (I thought Mars would be darker). Mars gets 43% of the light we get on Earth.

I'm not sure we had half-block or what, but good ole Sol felt just as hot as ever.

We should have stayed home instead of driving fifty miles south to York,Nebraska. Conditions seemed to be clearing at about 11:00 AM so we headed down to York where they would have 2:00+ minutes of totality. Clouds moved in from the south and couldn't see one thing until totality. Could see that. Well the Mexican food was good so it wasn't a complete bust, but a few hundred thousand visitors from all over the world are probably on their way home right now wishing they had gone to Wyoming instead.. The taxpayers appreciate all the $$$ they left in Nebraska.
welcome2.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Had to drive south about 20 miles to see totality near Columbia, Mo. Actually seen it in Ashland ,MO. Clouds in COMO. Very worth it. Would not have spent hundreds of dollars and went hundreds of miles but otherwise very worth it. I am a space enthusiast ect. Also have Mitsu. eclipse. LOVED IT!

Drove down to Giant City State Park, just south of Carbondale, IL to see between 2:30 and 2:40 eclipse totality.

Found a quiet, out of the way spot. Not too many people around. Broke out the lawn chair and enjoyed cold beverages at about an hour before the event began. Stayed until about 35-40 minutes after totality ended.

About a 2 hour drive there. Almost double that on the way back as people left at about the same time.

Get to do it again in 2024 as that same area is in the path of totality for the next one in 7 years.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
Originally Posted By: Shannow
What makes the event "tremendously significant" as opposed to being "not very frequent" ?

Biochemical holograms we call "thoughts" and "emotions". :^)

Saw a female astronomer on TV, telling this one WILL be the most significant ever...

Tens and tens of millions of people found it "tremendously significant".

Kinda makes the sour attitude critics of it look real STUPID.

Well, I got to see it with perfect sky conditions at work. The "Shadow Snakes" were really cool but the best part was totality and seeing the Sun's corona. We had ~55 seconds of it where I was. Just marvelous!

I live right in the path and was out in the yard with 20 minutes to go. Then, a cloud came up! I loaded the family in the van and went a few miles away, out of the clouds. We stopped with 5 minutes to spare, on a big hill. It was mindblowing! My wife and kids loved it, too. Venus came out, then Jupiter. I saw a couple of big flares on the right side. Then, the NASA jet recording it flew over! The 360 degree sunset was fantastic, and the shadow "snakes" were everywhere. I've seen partial ones, but they were not even close to what this was.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kestas
Not a good day for sunbathing!

I was curious and made some calculations. The 80% totality we just experienced is darker than the sunlight Mars gets (I thought Mars would be darker). Mars gets 43% of the light we get on Earth.

I believe I heard that those in the totality experienced the sort of sunlight levels that one would experience on Neptune. As you got away from the totality, there were regions in the US where the light was equivalent to that experienced on Mars.

Not sure how close to totality we were in Dayton while I was at work, but I'd guess 80-90%. Got a little darker and it did get noticeably cooler. You could tell because Monday was a hot day here.
Anyway, had a glimpse with a pair of glasses I borrowed from an RN and it was neat to see this big black disc covering almost all of the sun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back