best engine, auto trans?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That reminds me - growing up with my BIL - he had that 2 speed tied to a 389 in a GTO - 80 mph in 1st and then bang rubber - we tried hard to break that driveline - but only broke the bank in tickets/lawyer fees ...

Originally Posted By: 4WD
That reminds me - growing up with my BIL - he had that 2 speed tied to a 389 in a GTO - 80 mph in 1st and then bang rubber - we tried hard to break that driveline - but only broke the bank in tickets/lawyer fees ...

the power glide was a helluva trans. i had a couple of friends in high school that would down shift them, up shift them manually and never had any problems. my one friend had a 65 impala 4 door with the 283/power glide and he put headers and turbo mufflers on it (out each side) funny as [censored] to see this old grocery getter sound cool as heck coming down the road! haha

And some incredible burn outs with the trans staying in low at such high RPM/MPH (and car barely moving) ... one of those clouds got split by some flashing lights on an old Mopar interceptor ...
Glad we survived the stupid stuff & grew up ...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lexus114
Originally Posted By: 4WD

the power glide was a helluva trans. i had a couple of friends in high school that would down shift them, up shift them manually and never had any problems. my one friend had a 65 impala 4 door with the 283/power glide and he put headers and turbo mufflers on it (out each side) funny as [censored] to see this old grocery getter sound cool as heck coming down the road! haha

Pontiac didn't use the Powerglide, His GTO had a Super Turbine 300 2-speed automatic. Also a stout transmission just very little support these days vs a Powerglide.

I loved it when I gave 1UZ-FE owners estimates to replace their stater & watch their head explode. And then call them back about the air intake & PCV tubes that are cracked.....Oh, And the timimg belt is also dry rotted.

The 1UZ-FE is a great engine, And the Aisin A340E transmission is durable (Though I've had many A340E's on my bench over the years with welded together Carriers) You would think the 2JZ-GTE would tear this trans up more frequently than the 1UZ-FE or 2JZ-GE, But it seemed to be 50-50.

It's not the brand that turns me off as much as the braggart owners that wear their rose colored glasses 'til they get hit with a $2,000+ repair bill.

edit: Since I'm a braggart (former) owner I have nothing worth saying. I won't get into a drag-out, knock-down argument over a motor I no longer own.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
edit: Since I'm a braggart (former) owner I have nothing worth saying. I won't get into a drag-out, knock-down argument over a motor I no longer own.

Oh but you should....

LS swap the world....

wink.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
He's talking about vehicles with an engine & automatic transmission in something you can buy brand new or late model used today, not a dinosaur from 1977.

How can you tell whether a new or almost-new car has an engine and AT that will last for a long time? Time and miles are really the only way to know the answer.

Can't really give my stamp to the Mercedes M272 (3.0) due to its known issues of rod knocking and intake manifold failures (tumble flaps and intake switchover flaps) that require an expensive brand new intake manifold being installed after the plastic switchover bits break to pieces.

Now the transmissions that they still engineer and make in house have for quite some time been very well regarded and long lasting units. MB transmissions are known to go 200+k miles with regular service,there was a period MB decided it would be best to go "sealed for life" but they abandoned that and back dated service requirements after some issues arose I think around the time of the 6 speed.

The 7G Tronic in my '09 is a gem and one of the best autos I have ever driven. 99% of the time it seems to be in the proper gear and a quick downshift is easy to achieve with your right foot. When in comfort or economy mode (2nd gear start) the off the line kickdown to 1st is lightning fast.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
It's not the brand that turns me off as much as the braggart owners that wear their rose colored glasses 'til they get hit with a $2,000+ repair bill.

hahaha, it's hard to outlast a memory! Folks always have some old car that would never die...

Originally Posted By: Trav
This is a contender with a TH400.

The Buick "NailHead" was a pretty good one, The 400/430/455 Buicks would have been better if not for the oiling system.

Yes the front cover mounted pump sucked, I put a pump cover extension on my old 430 with longer gears and a new front cover, that made it at least halfway decent. I liked the 430 good power output and performance for such a heavy car (69 Riv).

Originally Posted By: Trav
Yes the front cover mounted pump sucked, I put a pump cover extension on my old 430 with longer gears and a new front cover, that made it at least halfway decent. I liked the 430 good power output and performance for such a heavy car (69 Riv).

Agreed. That old 430 really yanked my buddy's Electra around with enthusiasm...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back