Does fuel injector cleaner really do anything

Status
Not open for further replies.

This seems to work well for me cheapest price I can find is at Walmart. I usually add a can to my gas just prior to doing my oil change.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AVB
I agree with the B12 recommendations I have been using it for years. I laugh when people tell me the bought some SeaFoam, I tell them they should have bought Berrymans for half the price.

When I first came to BITOG I learned very quickly 2 things:

1) There are better top-end cleaners for the combustion chamber; i.e. actual Combustion Chamber Cleaners that foam and aren't liquid like SeaFoam(irony...I know) such as Mopar CCC, GM Top-End/CCC, and of course the best of them; IMO, is Amsoil's larger can version of these "Power Foam". Great for soaking the combustion chamber if installed properly and let to soak for an hour on a fully heated engine(hood closed for OCD reasons)

2) There are better fuel tank additives that have better post-use effects than the 'UCL' type effect you get only while Sea Foam is in the tank. I believe Lucas might be cheaper per ounce as an UCL. There are better cleaners. One type is the more aggressive solvent-based cleaners like B12 Chemtool and of course the stubborn deposit fighting PEA cleaners that can slowly break them down (looking at you Regane, Techron, Red Line SI-1, etc), and when all else fails mail them to Trav if it's too far gone!
thumbsup2.gif
19.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav

Bought some of this today. Was reading the label, no mention of lubrication. What's good to mix this with to provide lubrication?

Originally Posted By: BobFout
Bought some of this today. Was reading the label, no mention of lubrication. What's good to mix this with to provide lubrication?

Gasoline. Which means just pour it in the tank. Then top off with fuel to help mix it in the tank.

This ^

I'm going to be a bit pedantic here. Almost every other similar product provides cleaning and lubrication (Red line, STP, gumout, lucas, MMO, etc.) This apparently is just cleaning.

I'm going to be a bit pedantic here. Almost every other similar product provides cleaning and lubrication (Red line, STP, gumout, lucas, MMO, etc.) This apparently is just cleaning.

What needs lubrication?

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

What needs lubrication?

I assume he is referring to Lucas being an "Upper Cylinder Lubricant" as well as an injector cleaner, for example.

This ^

B12 doesn't lube, it is a much stronger solvent than those other non PEA fuel treatments. If you want lube add a little mmo or tcw3.

Originally Posted By: AVB
This ^

B12 doesn't lube, it is a much stronger solvent than those other non PEA fuel treatments. If you want lube add a little mmo or tcw3.

3 of those are PEA though, and B12 isn't PEA.

That is correct. It does a different type of cleaning than PEA. I think Trav recommended using it after running a tank with PEA and a tank with no cleaner to clean up what the PEA missed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

What needs lubrication?

Fuel pump and injectors.

They need very little if any today. Most injectors today use the film of fuel to cushion metal contact (the pintel or disc has no side loading) and keep them cool, a lubricant isn't needed, not much lube in ethanol laced fuels. Electric fuel pumps today use sealed bearing and composite impellers and couldn't be lubricated if you wanted to. Diesels are another story.

Edit: Some old style injectors may benefit from a small amount of lubrication but its unit specific which ones, they are out there but you have to back quite a few years to run into these.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: andrewp1998
what about carbon deposits on pistons and intake??

Spray a combustion chamber cleaner into the air intake via throttle body with box/hoses removed while engine is running. Mopar may still sell them at local dealerships as "Combustion Chamber Cleaner". GM used to sell it as "Top End" cleaner. Or, you can buy a bigger can from Amsoil their Power Foam as I prefer to do now.

It's a solvent-based foaming type of spray you shake and empty the entire contents into engine while someone keeps the throttle slightly depressed so it stays running(as low RPMs as required but it may cut off otherwise).

Do this on a hot engine during the day, close the hood after engine is off and wait roughly an hour. Re-install air intake. Start it up, let it idle and then drive it WOT/heavy load
19.gif
to expel product and any dissolved deposits. Change your oil afterwards. NOTE: I like using an idle oil flush additive since I do 15k mile OCIs now, but I don't regularly use top-end cleaner. Only once on a new to me used vehicle.

thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
From my experience the current Mopar CCC sucks. The volume of spray is too small, it takes too long to empty the can. You don't even need anyone to hold the throttle open, because it doesn't spray enough to stall an engine. I believe that allows it to burn off before you can get enough in the engine to allow a proper soak.

Makes sense. I remember when I converted over to Amsoil's Power Foam how much more "foaming" the spray was. It definitely will stall engine without keeping it running.

Again, this is for alternates to piston soaking and removing spark plugs, etc.

However, you'd only do it just before an oil change to be sure any other deposits drain out that get into the sump:aren't expelled through combustion process itself. I never saw the need to treat an engine multiple times. Maybe twice if neglected. Could help clean "some" of the EGR system.

A little carbon on the piston tops is not a bad thing, a little on the valves isn't bothering much either. The thin carbon layer provides some protection from detonation but too much carbon can cause pre ignition, in general today they is little point in trying to get rid of it unless you have an engine prone to carbon buildup knock eg N*.
You don't want shiny piston tops, they have no protective layer. I sometimes do a piston soak on N* for the carbon issue but mostly to free sticking rings.

A little carbon on the piston tops is not a bad thing, a little on the valves isn't bothering much either. The thin carbon layer provides some protection from detonation but too much carbon can cause pre ignition, in general today they is little point in trying to get rid of it unless you have an engine prone to carbon buildup knock eg N*.
You don't want shiny piston tops, they have no protective layer. I sometimes do a piston soak on N* for the carbon issue but mostly to free sticking rings.

Good post. That's probably the best approach; I.e. If having oil consumption or engine knock; and to be honest I don't believe a single piston soak or "CCC" will make it 100% by any means. I tend to do a soak of either method at least once on a "new to me" used engine.

I do not know how much "value" my statement did or didn't add but I have never used any gas treatments or any fuel or oil additives and have never owned a brand new vehicle , but so far no injector issues other than the Sonata which had a clogged fuel filter probably because I fueled up while the tanker was dumping. There are in line filters on the fill up pumps but apparently they let debris get through. I liked the older vehicles that had the fuel filter in the engine compartment. I once owned a 79 Cougar and the fuel filter was a breeze to change, but now days many manufacturers like to put the filter in the fuel tank where it is a $300 plus job to replace it. If I ever get diagnosed with dirty injectors perhaps I would go with an injector cleaner, but so far no instances where I needed to, plus every owners manual I have ever seen including my current vehicles ,states that there is no need for additional additives in gas or oil. But many on here like the stuff so more power to em' I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back