F355 coolant analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've already posted a topic on the UOA section. But figured that I'd link it here for those that may have expertise in coolant that don't navigate over to the oil analysis threads.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthr...lys#Post4492583

Hey guys,

Just signed up and curious would you think of these results.

I'm in the process of inspecting to buy a 95 Ferrari F355. The car has little maintenance history so I thought it prudent to send off some fluids to get an idea if there were any critical issues that perhaps wouldn't be picked up by eye or through compression/leakdown.

Unless the community has something to say about the oil, I think it looks reasonable. In terms of the coolant, lead (Pb) content is really high. The seller has indicated that there was a small radiator leak, which he had used some Holts Conditioner to treat. However, I think that the Pb corrosion is what's at issue and require new coolant system (rads, heater core, other exchangers).

What do you guys think?

https://media.trillian.im/media/?m=aW1hZ2UvcG5nLDE0NTUsNTU5LAjbzOZcMTAto%2FNqGOjDQ7uw4NxUh9emqlsazT%2FymaRb

Thanks!!

I think I would do a complete and very careful inspection of the entire vehicle because of the "cheap" coolant fix attempt. A suggestion of replacing the coolant and waiting 3 months to recheck is one way to approach the issue. Your suggestion to replace all heat exchangers is a better but, much more expensive option. I would try to get on a 355 forum and post the question. Ed

If I was buying a Ferrari, I'd find another one. If you haven't watched Rob Ferretti's videos: superspeeders.com---on life with exotic cars, you might want to do so. Ferretti is an annoying personality, and his actual mechanical expertise is limited, but he's got fairly extensive ownership experience, and has paid lots of 5-fugure repair bills on his NYC/NJ Ferrari rental fleet. Any PO who can't provide a fairly detailed maintenance history (or refer to the legit shop that has done the work and maintained a paper trail), who's pouring some goop into a Ferrari's cooling system, rather than fixing the leak immediately upon its discovery, is not an owner that you want to buy from.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back