Ford dummy oil pressure guage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems safe. Think about it, if any car experiences any type of failure resulting in loss of power and stalling, the NHTSA is all over it... unless of course it's purposely designed-in to protect the engine..... human life and safety be ****ed.

The computer wud determine i suppose to cut off the fuel supply.

Hummm i was thinking of putting in an oil sender that is on when oil pressure is above 15 to 18 psi. Now i have to be careful.
smile.gif

afaik the sender is just one wire that goes from the engine to the cluster with no splices. The ecu doesn't know or care about the state of OP sensor.

If you wanna hear something really lame, in the Mercury Marauder the cluster does not have a OP or volt gauge, instead there are two Auto Meter gauges below the climate controls. Both are fake. Ford had Auto Meter brand them some dummy gauges.
The OP gauge works just like a gauge discussed here. It sits in the middle as long as the pressure switch on the engine is good. The volt meter also just sits at the midpoint as long as the engine is running. Unless there is a problem with the alternator then the pcm shuts it off and it goes to the bottom of the scale.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
afaik the sender is just one wire that goes from the engine to the cluster with no splices. The ecu doesn't know or care about the state of OP sensor.

If you wanna hear something really lame, in the Mercury Marauder the cluster does not have a OP or volt gauge, instead there are two Auto Meter gauges below the climate controls. Both are fake. Ford had Auto Meter brand them some dummy gauges.
The OP gauge works just like a gauge discussed here. It sits in the middle as long as the pressure switch on the engine is good. The volt meter also just sits at the midpoint as long as the engine is running. Unless there is a problem with the alternator then the pcm shuts it off and it goes to the bottom of the scale.

If thats the case then i dont see how the fuel is cut off.
Now lets suppose the oil sender fails. Will it throw a code? Does not sound like it throws a code. So it does not sound like the engine is killed or limp mode.

Originally Posted By: CR94
So it's nothing but a disguised equivalent of an idiot light, except without the glow to wake you up in case of loss of pressure? Boy, is that dumb!

An idiot light equivalent with a pointer and cartoon illustration to understand it.

Originally Posted By: merconvvv
Originally Posted By: Colt45ws

If thats the case then i dont see how the fuel is cut off.
Now lets suppose the oil sender fails. Will it throw a code? Does not sound like it throws a code. So it does not sound like the engine is killed or limp mode.

On some cars if its a single wire then the ecm to cut the fuel pump if the pressure signal s lost, it is sometimes connected to the inertia switch circuit on others they use a multi wire sending unit. Others if the oil light came on it just keeps going and nothing gets cut off.
It is vehicle specific which type if any is used, some will throw a CEL others wont, the more modern the car the better the chance it will, new cars are getting smarter every year.
Some cars use 2 pressure sending units one for the gauge and the other for the ECM only like some temp gauges.

The first car I can remember seeing an oil pressure circuit fuel cutoff was a 69 Riviera 430 C.I. GM used a 3 wire on some (the GS model IIRC) of them with an in tank low pressure electric pump so these kinds of systems have been around awhile. The GM 6.0 uses a 3 wire which cuts the pump in case of pressure loss.
The easiest way to find out is to pull the pressure switch wire and start the engine if it starts and runs for more than a few seconds its not protected.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
So it's nothing but a disguised equivalent of an idiot light, except without the glow to wake you up in case of loss of pressure? Boy, is that dumb!

An idiot light equivalent with a pointer and cartoon illustration to understand it.
A genuine idiot light is superior to this nonsense, because it's more likely to be noticed promptly if pressure is lost, and it wastes less dash space. No stupid cartoon needed, either.

My Chevy had a real pressure gauge, even though it was a base model. How technology marches backwards!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Lubener

A genuine idiot light is superior to this nonsense, because it's more likely to be noticed promptly if pressure is lost, and it wastes less dash space. No stupid cartoon needed, either.

My Chevy had a real pressure gauge, even though it was a base model. How technology marches backwards!

My '95 TBird had both. I had a dodgy OP sensor/switch, or instrument cluster. When the dummy gauge would drop to zero, the check gauges light would come on. I tap on the IC would bring the gauge back up to it's normal position.

IIRC, I removed the cluster and cleaned the contacts where the wiring plugged in. Can't remember if I also replaced the OP switch, it's been a decade or so since I had that car.

But, my point is, you get a warning other than the gauge with these cars.

Lubener said:
CR94 said:
How technology marches backwards!

Ya so true. March backwards is driven by lazy and "keep it for a few years" consumers. Then u have ford trying to save a buck and wanting repeat customer in 100k miles and then people have to come up with new stuff just to justify their existance at ford.

Boy your 1981 mazda glc reminds me of my 1980 glc hatchback. I sold mine in good shape. It was bought new. That 600k mileage os very impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back