Honda surface rust

Status
Not open for further replies.
Judging by the replies, it looks like nobody else enjoys wire brushing fasteners like I do. I find it to be a rather satisfying experience. OCD might have something to do with it though.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Tdbo
I have the same issue on my '12. Probably going to spray some Krown on them and call it a day.

+1 on this suggestion. I have 4 vehicles that get annual Krown resprays, and all are rust free, with two of them at over 200K miles in the Rust Belt.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Judging by the replies, it looks like nobody else enjoys wire brushing fasteners like I do. I find it to be a rather satisfying experience. OCD might have something to do with it though.
grin.gif

I don't do it, if the bolts are really rotten I change them otherwise I don't even pay attention to it. In the salt belt you would need to swap almost every bolt underneath the car once it hits 5 yrs old.

your kidding right? Permitex makes a Rust Treatment...turns rust into a polymer in 20min. brush it on.

JHZR2

I hope you eventually update this thread by telling us the thread size of the door hinge nuts. I get really curious about stuff like that. Those are some good looking nuts other than the surface corrosion. I like tall nuts like that which give the wrench plenty of surface area to grab onto.

You had me checking over my '12 carefully.
I have no such corrosion on my '12 Accord, thankfully. The '96 also remains remarkably free of this sort of deterioration.
To the poster above who noted that Honda used to use cad plated bolts that remained clean and free of corrosion for many years, that has been my observation with older Hondas we've had as well.
Honda component and build quality has declined over the years and I write this as someone who has always had good experience with the cars and who has owned many of them over the years.

I was down on our 94 integra, because despite living to 188k, the rubber parts all were replaced once at least and the car was rusting like crazy. That was poor compared to my comparisons at the time which were my diesels, chevy trucks and Toyota minivans.

Jumped back into Honda with the ody (no such rust signs on it), and I liked the Honda system, so when a deal too good to refuse came up, I took it. Ive been very pleased with the car other than one dash rattle and a few spots of surface rust in unpainted metal components (despite having oil sprayed the car, granted, I didn't do those door bolts).

Ill plan to wash with ospho and see from there. Probably won't replace, just want to stabilize rust, possibly recolor, and get coated with a preventative product. Now just need to have time...

Originally Posted By: user52165
My 30 year old Accord is loaded with cad plated fasteners and no rust. My daughters 10 year old Civic (made in Japan) has a few but never sees salt.

Cad plating is either too expensive or a no-no because of the EPA?

Because CAD is an extremely toxic heavy metal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back