Replacing Battery Due To Age--What To Do With Core

Status
Not open for further replies.

Take that $2500 and buy a toy that needs a battery. Install the battery and play with the toy.

Just put it in the garage on a tender. With a set of jumper cables you now have a bulky booster pack.

Be sure to check back here in 3 years and tell us how many times you used that spare battery to jumpstart your vehicle.

wink.gif

Is there a sarcasm emoji face?

I have a failed core in my garage worth $20 say AAP. I've used it once in a year to test a landscape light.

For all the battery does, it's worth $20 or $25 a year to assure you have a good one in the car.

I keep a 12v battery in my garage. I use it as an emergency power supply. I can use it to recharge my cell phone, charge other household items with a power inverter, or for lighting with 12v LED's. Ive used it three times in the past 3 years during power outages...comes in handy.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I would sell the used battery on Craigslist for $30
Why pay 30 bucks for a used battery when Wally will sell you a new one for 49? With warranty.

They charge you a core at Autozone if you don't bring them the old battery. What's all this talk about them paying you?

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
They charge you a core at Autozone if you don't bring them the old battery. What's all this talk about them paying you?

If you buy a battery from a place with a low core charge (OP said a $5 core @ their NAPA), I think some have said Advance will give you $20 for any battery. $15 profit if that is the case.
I don't know how much the Advance Auto will give around here for a used battery you bring in.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I keep a 12v battery in my garage. I use it as an emergency power supply. I can use it to recharge my cell phone, charge other household items with a power inverter, or for lighting with 12v LED's. Ive used it three times in the past 3 years during power outages...comes in handy.

Geez.

How long do your power outages last? One or two days?

Originally Posted By: blupupher
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman

If you buy a battery from a place with a low core charge (OP said a $5 core @ their NAPA), I think some have said Advance will give you $20 for any battery. $15 profit if that is the case.
I don't know how much the Advance Auto will give around here for a used battery you bring in.

Doesn't anyone realize that the company that offers a $20 core charge is making up for it somewhere else in the transaction?
If not in the sale price then in the inferior grade of materials or construction.

For $5 I think I'll list it on my company forum for exactly the same price. I'd much rather the battery, which may very well have a few years left in it, go to someone who needs it than to be recycled.

If no one takes it (people tend to be wary of deals too good to be true) I'll keep it in the basement, off the deck, and keep it up with a maintainer once per month or so. I'm not sure I would use it for the purpose of jump-starting, but who knows. It could certainly help with boosting a weak battery on a very cold morning, when I really have to get to work.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I would sell the used battery on Craigslist for $30
Why pay 30 bucks for a used battery when Wally will sell you a new one for 49? With warranty.

You underestimate how cheap some people are. Besides you ask for $30 and accept 20 or 25. That's way better than $5

Originally Posted By: maximus
I don't understand. I always turn the old one in. What are you trying to gain?

They are being stingy with corrupt fees and his battery isn't bad yet just aged.

Maybe I don't fully understand what happens to cores. I assume they get recycled. If so, doesn't it make sense to let someone else get more use out of it? Forget the price - I have no interest in making $15 profit in a used battery.

Simply put, I'd rather GIVE IT AWAY to someone in need than recycle it for $5.

Lastly, the old battery is still installed. I picked up the new Napa battery two days ago and, though it had an 8/17 date code and indicated 12.6VDC, I put it on my smart charger overnight. It initially indicated 90% full. He charger had finished and switched to a resting voltage of 12.9VDC when I disconnected it in the morning. I'll swap batteries when I have some free time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back