Package stealing/opening in a building. Tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi BITOGers,

I live in a building, which has a double entrance/vestibule and a mail room.
Also a Camera (non-recording) pointing to the double-door entrance.

Around Christmas , at least 4-6 packages disappeared.

It seems now, some packages have been "played" with: either dumped in the common garbage or opened/roughed, or 2 packages disappeared.

It includes packages from UPS/Fedex/USPS.

What should be the steps to discourage the internal joker/thief or to catch him/her.

Just worried because i have to receive 2 tires.

P.S. the Christmas stealing was more heart-breaking because they stole kids/grandkids presents (not mine, but still)

Thank you

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Require a signature

Ya beat me to it.

+1

Use the pickup option. FedEx here is a pain as the office is 80 miles away but UPS is about 20. Being your from Chicago be glad it does not come with lead. My sister came this summer from Chicago and complained about the birds making noise versus street sounds

Delivery insurance, a signature, surveillance.
You could try to get the postal inspector involved on USPS packages but it takes some legwork. The postal inspector isn't a kindly letter carrier wearing a different hat - he's a Federal law enforcement officer quite like an FBI agent.

Originally Posted By: pandus13
Hi BITOGers,

I live in a building, which has a double entrance/vestibule and a mail room.
Also a Camera (non-recording) pointing to the double-door entrance.

Around Christmas , at least 4-6 packages disappeared.

It seems now, some packages have been "played" with: either dumped in the common garbage or opened/roughed, or 2 packages disappeared.

It includes packages from UPS/Fedex/USPS.

What should be the steps to discourage the internal joker/thief or to catch him/her.

Just worried because i have to receive 2 tires.

P.S. the Christmas stealing was more heart-breaking because they stole kids/grandkids presents (not mine, but still)

Thank you

Ship to yourself a Cellular Game Camera, packed in a box facing up, and running live.
Show cops thief's FACE when they open, and PRESS CHARGES !!

Not cheap, but LEGAL and it will work!

Mail theft problems in Chicago? Who knew?

It's up to the landlord to increase building security in view of mail or package losses. Maybe the landlord can lobby with the USPS to install parcel lockers, though that would not help with the theft of FedEx and UPS packages. If the other recommendations previously posted don't appeal to you, consider taking out an address at a mail receiving agency like a UPS Store or Mailboxes Etc. For your tires, have them shipped directly to your installer.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
It's up to the landlord to increase building security in view of mail or package losses.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

you want the landlord to spend money

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

There are plenty of "porch pirates" in the neighborhoods where I live. My neighbors have caught people on their Ring doorbell cameras casually walking up to the porch and taking packages. Some of the more motivated thieves have even been spotted following delivery vehicles and swiping the packages mere moments after they are dropped off.

The future of humanity is bleak, my friends.

Originally Posted By: bioburner
Use the pickup option. FedEx here is a pain as the office is 80 miles away but UPS is about 20. Being your from Chicago be glad it does not come with lead. My sister came this summer from Chicago and complained about the birds making noise versus street sounds

I use this for UPS a lot and it works great because the office is so convenient for me...used to be on my way home from work, now is about a 1 mile detour from my usual commuting route. May have done it with FedEx, can't remember offhand...
I started my UPS account because my wife was going ape shut about me buying skis online, when my daughter was still growing I usually bought her a pair a year (GS-style skis one year and wide twin tips the next) and I got a pair about every other year. I couldn't really tell her that a six foot long box was for movies from Amazon and I didn't like them sitting out in the driveway, anyway, so I arranged to pick them up every time. Did it through work once before they told me that they were no longer accepting employee's personal packages for security and regulatory reasons.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
There are plenty of "porch pirates" in the neighborhoods where I live. My neighbors have caught people on their Ring doorbell cameras casually walking up to the porch and taking packages. Some of the more motivated thieves have even been spotted following delivery vehicles and swiping the packages mere moments after they are dropped off.

This is what happens when a high-trust homogeneous society loses its founding identity.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Originally Posted By: DBMaster

This is what happens when a high-trust homogeneous society loses its founding identity.

That is an interesting statement. Can you elaborate a bit on the underlying definitions you are using for "homogeneous" and "founding identity?"

At least for FedEx, I do hold at location. Once I have the tracking number, I can request the package be held at my local FedEx Office location. I show up with the tracking number and my ID and they give me my package.

I would imagine UPS has similar. Not sure about USPS.

DBM, U Need to read "High Trust homogeneous society" inside your quotes ...it means same minded people that trust other people because that's how/where they grew up. If you pluck just one of the words from the statement you can make many other imaginative things out of it.

I agree with the L_Sludger statement. The place I grew up you didn't have to lock your doors and there was a moral compass that led most regular folks to be hard working and honest. Today the name of the game is steal cheat and rob your way to success ...usually on the precept that someone back in the past stole it from you anyways. ...They teach this in school and the media forms now.

Get a spy cam and put it in the lobby flower pot. then ship yourself some juicy rock filled boxes get some popcorn and watch for the [censored] to strike :)

Originally Posted By: javacontour
At least for FedEx, I do hold at location. Once I have the tracking number, I can request the package be held at my local FedEx Office location. I show up with the tracking number and my ID and they give me my package.

I would imagine UPS has similar. Not sure about USPS.

Makes sense. Should be pretty easy this day and age with apps and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back