Confess if you drive around with your CEL on

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of our cars is a VW, so of course we drive around with the CEL on.

It's a perfect VW electrical problem. The acceptable sensor range was too narrow from the factory, so the car runs fine even with the CEL illuminated.

My Trailblazer has a few codes related to the AIR pump and injection solenoid as they quit working a few years ago. Every once in a while I clear the codes and check for any new ones. I had plans a few years ago to get a PCM tune from the US and delete the pump and solenoid but waiting on the Canadian dollar to recover with the current idiot in charge is worse than watching paint dry.

First time ever - 2009 volvo turbo 160,000 miles.

CEL is from minor vac leak in the evap - it's in the unit over the rear subframe and a PITA to R&R. Since I know what it is, and I've swapped out the rest of the circuit, it's not a priority.

Skid control light. ABS still works so this must be like ESP. I think it's the steering position sensor. It can wait.

In the winter, TPMS. it flashes so it irritates me.

Next winter, I may just take it in and have them fix all 3, since the car will probably go to my son. Nothing is critical, car drives great, and time is a factor.

-m

Originally Posted By: exranger06
My mom's old Explorer has a CEL on. Needs a cam sensor, and need to remove the intake manifold to get access to it. No time to fix it right now.

Oddly enough, only some 4.0s of this era have cam sensors. Depends on the emissions requirements. My '94 Ranger doesn't have one; the shaft is there, but it's just capped off. No EGR on mine either.

Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
Mine's on. I know what it is but I don't want to fix it.

Same here.

I had the notorious glow-plug fault on my '03 Golf TDI for about 6 or 7 years. A couple years ago I replaced the glow plugs, then the harness. For about two years, no CEL. And now it's back, for the same reason. So, for at least two-thirds of time since the car was new, the CEL has been on. The car runs great, so I don't worry about it.

I've thought about wrapping the four wires in the harness together, so the voltage or amperage or whatever is being measured will be identical for all of them.

Last edited:
Unfortunately with annual emissions inspections in my area it really is not much of an option and it needs to be cleared before you can renew your registration. I am sure I could find some shady emissions station who would probably give me a clean bill of health if I paid enough money but that is just not the person I am, I have had some friends go this route with no repercussions but knowing my luck I would be the one to get caught up in some raid.

Ended up trading a '12 Fiat 500 in on my birthday as despite multiple visits to the [censored] Fiat/Chrysler dealership they could not get the EVAP problem fixed and I couldn't pass emissions to renew my registration. Even if I dropped the $900 for the Fiat dealership to replace the gas tank I would be driving around quite a few days on expired tags to get the car into ready mode for an emissions check. Yeah it is not as easy as just resetting the light and going to the emissions place as the ECU will indicate not ready which is an automatic fail.

Originally Posted By: Tornado Red
I had the notorious glow-plug fault on my '03 Golf TDI for about 6 or 7 years. A couple years ago I replaced the glow plugs, then the harness. For about two years, no CEL. And now it's back, for the same reason. So, for at least two-thirds of time since the car was new, the CEL has been on. The car runs great, so I don't worry about it.

I've thought about wrapping the four wires in the harness together, so the voltage or amperage or whatever is being measured will be identical for all of them.

My '03 Golf TDI had the harness and all four glow plugs replaced twice under the emissions warranty, all before 73k miles. It did not appear to be a cheap repair either, one of the warranty invoices they actually showed pricing instead of the N/C and if I remember correctly it was like a $900 job.

Mine is the fuel filler neck. It was the first capless design and is a known issue for my model year. Florida doesn't have emissions testing so I haven't bothered to shell out the Bucks to have it replaced

Used to own a VW TDi, and the last 5 or so years I lived with the light on almost constantly. Usually it'd go out for inspection, then come back. But I did modify the car, so I'm not sure I can blame it.

Our two late model Toyota's have TPMS. From new the Camry will decide to lose a sensor about 30 minutes into long drives. Well, I'm guessing it's one sensor cuts out. My truck came with sensor that the valve core won't come out of, so I replaced it with a Dorman sensor. Which appears to be dead, so now it has the TPMS light on always, not just when I have winter tires on.

My old Camry set the light a couple of times for an EGR issue; with no work it comes and goes. Very recently it tossed an O2 sensor code but I ignored, as my VW was driven for too long with the light on for me to really give any care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back