My mom has cancer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got the worst news of my life today: my mom has a very large ovarian tumor that is spreading. They want to take it out but the likelihood is the cancer has spread and chemo will be needed but my mom doesn't want to go through with it.

If it's not too much to ask, will you guys maybe say a quick prayer for her? Thanks.
smile.gif

That is horrible and sad news, nothing that anyone would ever want to hear.

The good news is that innovations in chemo and nausea drugs have improved things a lot. Recently two coworkers went through fairly major cancer bouts, including surgeries and long rounds of chemo, but they could even continue working other than a day or two around their chemo treatments. So be sure that all the options are understood, and perhaps her hesitance will decrease. Beyond that, its her decision.

All the best, will be thinking of her and you.

There's been lots of advances in recent years. My good friend/coworker's wife was recently diagnosed and told she was not receptive to treatment. Further investigation revealed some receptive genes and now she has lots of treatment options!

Prayers to you and your loved ones.

I'm sorry, I hope she has insurance. Get the surgery, get the chemo, tell her that if she won't do it for herself, do it for the people who count on her.

Prayers said and will continue to be said.
And good for you for asking for them.

Good luck Drew99GT.

Sorry to hear. Like said before treatmenti is better than ever. My wife's friend had stage 3 breast cancer at 27 and is now in remission.

I am very sorry to hear it Drew. Treatment is amazing now. Everything will work out, stay positive for your mom.

how old is mom?
here's some thoughts from some one who had several members of the family have cancer.... take it as you will.
i watched one get surgery, then never ever again. docs wanted chemo and radiation, she said no. lived happy for 8 more years.
another had it "removed" went through chemo, radiation, was miserable and still passed in under a year. those were the same cancers mind you.

and one male that have the removed, and lived another 13 years.

it's not always a bad thing to have something removed and move on with what time you have left being happy and healthy vs being sick in the hopes it might be gone.

prayers to you and your family. enjoy what time you have. no one lives for ever.

My words may be harsh or abrasive. and for this im sorry, but my mom died at 50, 12 years ago, i'm only 40. my dad died 2 years ago.

so yes, say what you may have been to scared to say before. tell her she did a great job and that it's ok. you'll take it from here.

hysterectomy are not that bad of a process. they may well get all and she'll have a happy life.

Hey Drew,

My Dad was diagnosed in 1976 with prostate cancer and scheduled three days later for surgery. They opened him up and concluded it was hopeless, closed and told my Mom to get his affairs in order, expected about six months adding it had spread to his liver and lungs. I do not know nor understand why but he survived with no treatment, passing away last year in April, 2016 at the age of 93. He outlived most of the MD's, Urologists, and Oncologists. Treatment has really improved, depending upon your Mom's age, consider treatment. My wife had breast cancer in 2004 and they did surgery, followed by chemo, then radiation, still doing OK today. They did a nice job of managing the nausea from chemo. Prayers for both, caregiver and stricken.

Scott

Best wishes for your mom.

My wife and I are both cancer survivors. I had both surgery and chemotherapy over the last year (coming up on surgery anniversary Sep. 2). Chemo was certainly no picnic but glad I did it.

Wow...what horrible news. This type just brings your whole life to a grinding, sudden halt. Lost my Mom a very, very long time ago to cancer.

Treatment today is MUCH different and more successful than ever before. Much has been learned and new medicines & tools for arresting it have been developed.

My thoughts & prayers to you, your Mom and your family Drew.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back