I just don't get it……..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Kestas
I've been led to believe they reduced tension in piston rings to reduce friction losses. This allows more oil to bypass the rings.

Kestas,
low tension rings are certainly part of the problem.

Holden (GM Oz) with the 3.8 had problems in the early days...people were emptying sumps between services, when an Aussie would consider 1qt/3,000 miles as excessive consumption and worthy of a rebuild, and couldn't dream of running out of oil in 6,000 miles.

Holden changed the dipstick first, and the sump second, all to increase volume of oil ( the former essentially created an overfill...hmmm).

Per Honda
http://www.autonews.com/article/20131022...l-burning-claim

When I bought a British car, I'd of course heard all the horror stories about oil leaks.

Much to my surprise, mine actually leaks very little. I did have an occasional leak from the clutch hydraulics, but a new flex hose fixed that up. About the only other leak I get is some occasional weeping from the steering rack boots(they are filled with EP90 per the factory). Even that's not severe-maybe a drop when I've been on a vigorous drive and warmed up the steering rack.

The 100K engine does have some blowby(using the unscientific "finger over the breather" test) and I usually add about 3/4 of a quart per 3K miles. Yes, this car does get 3K oil changes.

My newer cars, both the ones I own and the ones I look after, will typically need 1qt or so over 10K. I don't consider that terrible.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Originally Posted By: Olas
Rings or stem seals or PCV.

They all use oil but if it's a measurable amount within an OCI you need a mechanical repair.

What do you mean by "need"?

Some manufacturers note that if an engine consumes a quart of oil in less than 500 miles or so, repair is needed.

I doubt anybody will tear into an engine just because it consumes a quart in 3000 miles.

My ti uses a quart every 2,500 miles or so. It's done that since I bought it new in 1995. At 22 years and 144,000 miles all is well. My son's 3er uses a quart every 8,000-10,000 miles. It's at 102,000 miles. My 2er uses no oil between 10,000 mile changes. All are running BMW 5W-30 o 0W-30.
Oil consumption-or lack thereof-is no big deal for me...

The replacement Goodwrench 350 in my vette goes thru a quart in about 500 miles. The redline 50wt smells like popcorn popping when I punch it.

As long as it doesn't smoke out the tailpipe I couldn't care less.

I probably won't bother to ever change the oil in this car again.

Last edited:
The last thing I owned that consumed oil was a 1979 Dodge PowerWagon ... think some of that was valve seals.

Originally Posted By: Duffyjr
I'm reading a thread and the gist is how much better engines are today because of the tighter tolerances engines are built to. Then I go to a thread where some of you say it's nothing to worry about when an new engine uses a couple quarts of oil between changes. This makes no sense to me..

What am I missing here guys?
it is something to worry about when an engine uses oil between changes. That's just my opinion.
That said, there are tighter tolerances in some areas but maybe fuel economy oriented measures like low friction piston rings that reduce some losses but maybe won't scrape oil off a wall as well as the tighter previous design could mean something. Heck, lots of engines have piston slap as a result of economy oriented engineering. Piston slap is a bad thing!!!

Originally Posted By: KingCake
This website is full of bad info. 99% of the content is unprovable handwaving.
ok so lead BITOG to greatness by striving to be the change you want to see!
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: KingCake
This website is full of bad info. 99% of the content is unprovable handwaving.

But can you prove it?

Last edited:
Heavy oil consumption in newer cars is from the low tension piston rings. Meeting CAFE requirements is more important to manufacturers than oil consumption.

My 2000 Cherokee with 174k miles consumes no oil. My friend's dad has a 2007 Jeep Wrangler that drinks oil. It says in the manual that a quart of oil consumed per 1000 miles is acceptable. The tail pipe is black with soot. My GF's previous car, a 2010 Prius, consumed 1qt per 1200 or so miles, and it was a HYBRID. A mechanic friend of mine says he has been seeing more newer cars that need replacement engines due to being run out of oil. Some of them are still within warranty yet the manufacturer will cite the owner's manual where it says to check the oil level religiously, and that consumption is normal. It is almost like the 1950's again where people have to check their oil at every gas fill-up. Only time will tell if cat converters suffer from this consumption.

I think 0w-20 has a lot to do with the crazy burners. Often you can go up a grade to 30 and consumption is greatly reduced.

1qt in 1000 is way too much. I would not buy a vehicle that consumed that much oil from new.

Some of them are from poor break ins but it seems that for many it is a parts or design problem.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Heavy oil consumption in newer cars is from the low tension piston rings. Meeting CAFE requirements is more important to manufacturers than oil consumption.

My 2000 Cherokee with 174k miles consumes no oil. My friend's dad has a 2007 Jeep Wrangler that drinks oil. It says in the manual that a quart of oil consumed per 1000 miles is acceptable. The tail pipe is black with soot. My GF's previous car, a 2010 Prius, consumed 1qt per 1200 or so miles, and it was a HYBRID. A mechanic friend of mine says he has been seeing more newer cars that need replacement engines due to being run out of oil. Some of them are still within warranty yet the manufacturer will cite the owner's manual where it says to check the oil level religiously, and that consumption is normal. It is almost like the 1950's again where people have to check their oil at every gas fill-up. Only time will tell if cat converters suffer from this consumption.

My Jeep has about the same and also uses almost no oil. Obviously they did something right in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back