1996 Nissan 300ZX,GTX 20W50,3000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
First, thanks for this UOA, for fun, I was thinking of trying it in my Road King.

With that said, what am I missing here?
Am I seeing something no one else is?
or
am I crazy?

IN the report Blackstone states Viscosity Should be 14 to 18 for a 20w50.

Isnt the viscosity supposed to be 16 to 21 for a 20/50?

Something is not right? Isnt this UOA showing the Castrol 20w50 having a viscosity of a 10w40????

If I am right, I suspect that maybe Blackstone reported on the wrong oil. Im convinced of it and believe it or not wish it wasnt true. Almost looks like someone else VOA on a 10w40

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: alarmguy
First, thanks for this UOA, for fun, I was thinking of trying it in my Road King.

or
am I crazy?

Something is not right? Isnt this UOA showing the Castrol 20w50 having a viscosity of a 10w40????

If I am right, I suspect that maybe Blackstone reported on the wrong oil. Im convinced of it and believe it or not wish it wasnt true. Almost looks like someone else VOA on a 10w40

These cars just beat the holy heck out of the oil. My very first uoa was Royal Purple Synerlec rated 20W50. 3200 miles and it was down to 15.92 cst and it starts out at 20 I think.

Originally Posted By: K23Turbo
Nice UOA and sweet ride!

Thanks!
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: alarmguy

or
am I crazy?

These cars just beat the holy heck out of the oil. My very first uoa was Royal Purple Synerlec rated 20W50. 3200 miles and it was down to 15.92 cst and it starts out at 20 I think.

It's not beating the oil as much as your fuel dilution is in the 5% range. Royal Purple in my testing does very poorly with fuels dilution. If left uncontrolled, that FD will start eating engine internals.

Ok so I have the same car, currently running Supertech 20w50, if the wear metals were so low why change to a 10w30?

From what I've seen, the VG30 likes thicker weight oil

Originally Posted By: Donatello
Ok so I have the same car, currently running Supertech 20w50, if the wear metals were so low why change to a 10w30?

From what I've seen, the VG30 likes thicker weight oil

That thought actually crosses my mind every day haha. I've never been much of an oil fan boy,but PP 10W30 runs soooooooo smooth in my 300ZX. Especially when the engine is good and hot. Best I've ever used!!

Dang, that's cool, have you done a UOA on it yet?

I think I'll just stick to the higher weight stuff, [censored] even where I live I could run 15-50 year round I'm sure

literally every 200k+ mile z32 I've seen and even some with 300k all used heavy oils

Last edited:
I did send in a PP 10W30 uoa and the [censored] USPS lost it! But I've definitely found "the oil" (and I've tried many!! Haha).

USPS has lost stuff I've shipped before too

Well dang that's neat, obviously it would be awesome to run a 10w30

I've tried many a 10W30. Syntec,Edge,VSP,M1,RP,PYB,VWB,PP. PP wins hands down.

Castrol Magnatec 10W30 ??
Get with the program my friend.

BTW you need some of our Aussie Magnatec 10W40 A3/B4 for that 90's Nissan.

Originally Posted By: SR5

Castrol Magnatec 10W30 ??
Get with the program my friend.

BTW you need some of our Aussie Magnatec 10W40 A3/B4 for that 90's Nissan.

All they ever had in the stores here was 5W20,and then it all went bye bye
frown.gif
The Australian Magnatec 10W40 was on my holy grail oil list for a VERY long time. I even emailed Castrol and asked them if they were going to sell in here in the US,and they said no
frown.gif
Another Australian oil I had always wondered about was Valvoline Engine Armour. Of course it's a no-go here too
cry.gif

Valvoline DuraBlend was their better semi-synthetic, while EngineArmour was their lesser semi-synthetic with a lower percent of synthetic in it. That has now all changed and the EngineArmour is now being made to the higher DuraBlend quality.

So if you got the DB, there was no need to have the EA. And now days they are exactly the same anyway. Same add pack, same syn %. The Valvoline tech on the phone was happy to explain it to me.

In 10W-40 grade the DuraBlend is API SN and ACEA A3/B4, but so is the Castrol Magnatec and the Penrite Vantage and the Shell Helix HX7. We have a lot of 10W40 semi-synthetics here

The Shell HX7 carries a few OEM specs like MB 229.3 and VW 502 / 505. While the Penrite Vantage has the heavy add pack with 1200 ppm Zinc, TBN of 11 and SA of 1.1 %.

Is the PP the HM variation, or just regular PP? I used PPHM 10w30, but the Z has been parked (yet again!) since I changed the oil. Kinda glad I used the HM variation because I'm sure the seals, however new they may be, could use some conditioning once I drive it around next time.

I was using the high mileage Pennzoil Platinum for the last two oil changes. The current fill is the regular Pennzoil Platinum. I bought the regular PP because that's all Walmart had at the time.

I was using the high mileage Pennzoil Platinum for the last two oil changes. The current fill is the regular Pennzoil Platinum. I bought the regular PP because that's all Walmart had at the time.

Any significant difference between the HM and the regular? Oil loss, less "smooth" or lifter tick?

Originally Posted By: Dumc87

Any significant difference between the HM and the regular? Oil loss, less "smooth" or lifter tick?

Nope,no difference at all. Both smooth as silk!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back