Even simple jobs require a ton of tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It pays to have the right tool. Vehicles are also increasing in complexity, so that is a factor.

For me, I just work on so many different things for myself, friends, and family. Jeeps, Fords, Toyotas, BMWs, Hondas, Chevys, lawn equipment, tractors, home appliances, computers, etc. I'm sure working on your 6.7L Cummins requires a lot more tools than say a 1990s 350 Chevy V8.

The one thing I do hate about my Jeep is nothing is consistent. I could need SAE, Metric, and Torx all for the same job. At least when I work on a BMW I usually just need E-Torx (those reverse torx things) and Metric. Luckily I am a bit OCD about my tools, and all my tool box drawers are neatly organized and labeled. Saves a ton of time finding things.

Originally Posted By: user52165
True, but it seems you can 90% disassemble an older Honda Accord with a #10 socket.

Funny - I sold Hondas for years - I used to carry a 10mm wrench in my briefcase.

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I consider myself an expert at the selection of mechanics tools. Before there was the internet, I use to read tool catalogs all day long. I used to try and memorize the part numbers.

This brings back memories.

Even as a kid, tool catalogs were a top read.

I was into camshaft catalogs starting about age 13/14. I still do that every now and then, but I use the Internet.

I consider myself an expert at the selection of mechanics tools. Before there was the internet, I use to read tool catalogs all day long. I used to try and memorize the part numbers.

So true.

For me it was the Canadian Tire cataloge (sp?) particularly the motor oil section.
Never before had I even heard of "synthetic" oil.
At roughly 11-12 years of age, even my dad thought I was weird.
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy

For me it was the Canadian Tire cataloge (sp?) particularly the motor oil section.
Never before had I even heard of "synthetic" oil.
At roughly 11-12 years of age, even my dad thought I was weird.
crazy2.gif

Motor oil interest at 11-12.
Impressive.
Has the BITOG gene been identified yet in the DNA?

grin.gif

Yeah, tell me about it. Im having to budget a certain amount a month to buy tools.
Im in the super annoying situation right now where ALL my tools are at work. I have to take tools home to work on my car cause I have...the super cheap chinese tool kit in my trunk. Some screwdrivers. Thats about it. If I forget something, Im pretty much unable to do anything..
Oh, I have all my torque wrenches though. They dont fit in my toolbox and I dont really need them anyway.

47 years as a mechanic - we used to work out of a 4 draw concertina toolbox...leave a job, close the box and put it in the car, walk into the new job carrying your tools in one hand, lunch in the other. Now my tools at work cover 3 metres of floor space, and I keep needing to buy more stuff...and another set of tools at home. Back in the days when unions ruled, we got an untaxable tool allowance in our pay. That went when the unions lost power, but I get them to put money into a seperate tool account each payday, so there is always a little money in there to at least replace something I lose or break.

Simple jobs requiring more tools and time? Tell me about it...and then help me explain it to a customer. Spark plug replacement was a 10 minute job, now it could take an hour...do it at 100,000km, and find someone has replaced them at 90,000km. Some more explaining to the customer. Latest thing I've found I need is a 14mm sparkplug socket, although a long 14mm 3/8 does the job. Who thinks this stuff up ? Why do we need another sparkplug hex size ?

Originally Posted By: E150GT
my wife will never understand

lol.gif

These days I just spend tons of money on tools because of what Linctex said. I can just buy the tools and fix the problem and have them around forever, instead of shelling out for labor and walking away without the tools.

Most jobs can be completed without the correct tool with a little improv.
The difference is that having the correct tool makes the work go considerably faster and easier with less blood shed. This typically makes the investment in the correct tool worth the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back