Amsoil SS 5w-20, 62,000 miles, '11 Ford Expedition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Crusher
Linctex
Here you go. I hope this helps

OUTSTANDING! Just as clean as anyone could ask of it to be.

So you added the top up/filter change equivalent to a sump change?
With all the multiple samples - what is total cost for UOA to this point?

4WD
I hope this answers your question.
I started running this Amsoil dual bypass setup approx 18 mo and 62k miles ago. I started doing my research about 1 yr earlier and made the switch when my vehicle was out of warranty @ 100k miles. Before this I would take my own Mobil 1 5w-20 to my local Ford Dealership approx every 5k miles on average but 7500 was my goal. That cost me approx $60-70 NOT including my time. Now with this Bypass setup I simply change my Full Flow Filter every 25k miles, and the Bypass Filter @ 60k miles (now 70k miles as I switched to a larger capacity filter) So far I've used 2 full flow filters that cost approx $20, and I Bypass Filter that cost approx $30. About 8 quarts of top off/filter oil for $75, and 8 uoa @ $30 for a total of approx $385. The thing I like best about this Bypass setup is the fact that I can do it myself in approx 10 min in my garage by sliding under the front of my vehicle and NOT putting it on ramps/jack etc. For my driving style the Dual Bypass setup is Perfect!

Interesting - so with repeatability one could develop the confidence to test less often. Seems at the end when the testers say squeeze out another 3k and test again - that gives rise to question the value of the UOA vs the 3k - And you have already made a nice showing at that point. Good stuff
wink.gif

4WD
After 8 UOA's I've got a pretty good baseline to work from. The reason I got the uoa done @ 56k miles is because I was taking a 5600 mike trip to Vancouver and I wanted to make sure I had enough TBN to get me to the next Filter Change @ 62k miles. I'll get my next uoa done when I change my Full flow filter @ 75k miles. I've learned so much from this website that I'm more than happy to give back. Thanks again for the kind words!

Crusher,

According to ISO 4548-12 testing, the Amsoil filter is 98.7% efficient @ 20um, and the Fram Ultra (XP) is close to 99%.

If you consider beta ratios, the Fram seems like the better oil filter.

Have you considered running the XP to see if it changes your UOA results?

Linctex,
I believe my Amsoil Bypass head unit have proprietary filters. Plus the full flow filter last 25k miles, and the Bypass Filter is last for 70k miles. And my wear numbers are Excellent.

Originally Posted By: Crusher
Linctex,
I believe my Amsoil Bypass head unit have proprietary filters. Plus the full flow filter last 25k miles, and the Bypass Filter is last for 70k miles. And my wear numbers are Excellent.

Gotcha! I was Just wondering.... to see if the XG8A filtered "any better"

If you are using the dual filter head, the bypass is 1 x 16 thread (same as a Cummins 5.9)
and the full flow should be 3/4" thread (same as FL-1A or XG8A filter)

Originally Posted By: Brons2
Why do they keep flagging the boron? You'd think by now they would have figured out it's part of the add pack.

They flag it because it's a much lower PPM reading than on the VOA they have on file. Amsoil VOA reports usually show 230-250 PPM of boron. I'm pretty sure that is the reason for the flag as they've been known to point out that sort of thing.

I should note for those who are unaware, the boron reading drops as oil is used. My personal experience was with Delo 400 samples. My VOAs would show 500-600 PPM of boron. After 20-25k miles of use, boron would be down to 100-150 ppm and sometimes below 100. With synthetic PCMOs, it isn't so drastic. M1 may start at 100 ppm boron and only drop to 30-40 after a several thousand mile oci. In the past, Molakule has said that he thought that the boron was being "masked" by the acid that builds up throughout an oci.

Last edited:
This whole experiment is actually what I came to BITOG to see and discuss. We all get too caught up in opinion and not so much in what can be down ... Good on you for trying to find the logical conclusion for the AmsOil system
smile.gif

BrocLuno
Thanks for the kind words.
I tried to take a pragmatic approach to Bypass Filtration, and by doing some experimentation with UOA's I think I've got my Oil Change program "Dialed In"

Just came across this thread...subscribed and looking forward to the 75k UOA...

I know this has been sai before but you are a brave man than I as well sir I’m gonna start trying to follow your journey as well... you put some serious miles on what do u do for a living ???

Big065f150
Thanks for the kind words and interest in my posts. I list Rancher as my occupation because it's easier to spell than entrepreneur. I live on the S side of Chicago, but have a large cattle operation in S Ga, Oil and Gas interest in the Permian Basin, not to mention kids in College on the West Coast. So I have commitments that can keep me busy. I haven't traveled too much in about 6 weeks, so I'm currently sitting @ 172k miles. I should be posting my 75k mile uoa in early 2018.

Crusher, as soon as my EAK15's are used up I'm going to install a BMK23 system after talking to Pablo and seeing your posts. I will be running the 5w20 SSO oil with the 110 filter. I'm going to do a baseline UOA before putting the system in and then during to see what mileage I can push the oil. I drive a ton of miles for work and I have a bad back so not having to crawl under the vehicle so often is a big plus for me!

Thanks for your information posted.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
StevieC
That's great to hear. When I 1st installed my BMK 23-EA I ran the EAO-15 and the BP-90. I did my research and switch to the EAO-26, and BP-100 for a little more capacity. My only advice to you is that if you want to run the BP-110 be aware that it is a pretty long filter, and you want to be sure you have enough room/clearence. Best of Luck to you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back