Even simple jobs require a ton of tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.
People always wonder, why do you have so many tools? I'm not sure if I do something wrong or just like using the right tool for the job, but I find even a simple repair job or maintenance job requires like 5 different tools.

Or maybe it's just a simple case of most people not having the correct tool for the job. lol

I found this to be true.

When I started working on cars a long time ago, I didn't know anything about tools to be honest. Didn't know anything about things like increased torque with length, why we had different drive sizes (can't I just use my stubby ratchet or 3/8th drive to take axle nuts off?
whistle.gif
), things like wobble sockets, why I would need a set of box-end wrenches instead of just using an adjustable spanner, the list went on and on.

Now here I am with a million sockets+specialty sockets, wrenches, torque wrenches, ratchets and pliers. I can't even count the amount of times I've worked on things and realized afterwards that if I didn't have that tool, I would probably have had a much harder time or not completed the job at all. Even in cases where I bought something just in case, I do end up using it later on and thanking myself for having bought it.

I consider myself an expert at the selection of mechanics tools. Before there was the internet, I use to read tool catalogs all day long. I used to try and memorize the part numbers.

Lucky for me I discovered Harbor Freight. I've been able to buy a few extra tools I could have never otherwise justified.

Their guarantee is terrific. I brought in a busted socket that I cracked using it on an impact wrench. It was not an impact socket but the manager just walked me back to the aisle, picked up a new one and handed it to me. No paper work, no hassle. I knew I was wrong. He knew I was wrong but handed me the new socket, anyway.

A stranger will just see a bunch of tools.
I see many different fasteners, different angles, different clearances, over decades.
It would be cool if cars were more accessible with a $100 set, but that's not the case.

Makes you wonder how a mfgr can assemble one in under 20 hours.

I've been doing a timing belt change the last 3 days (work until it's too hot; doing it in the driveway). Also, valve adjustment. A few special tools make the work a lot easier, such as the SK flex cable hose clamp pliers.

Mostly used hand tools. The IR electric 1/2" impact was unfortunately too long to fit in the available space to get to the crankshaft bolt, so I had to use a 50mm pulley holder with one 1/2" breaker bar and a 19mm socket with the other 1/2".

Crankshaft seal puller and installer from a kit I bought last time, Bluepoint, which looks identical to but a lot more expensive than the Private Brand Tools PBT70960 kit on Amazon.

I felt a little better that I was finally exercising a lot of tools that otherwise sit in drawers.

Otherwise, mostly using stuff I've had for a long time. It just helps things when you have a tool that isn't really used for anything else. I have a 1" long flat blade screwdriver. It's nice for adjusting valves, especially ones in tight spots. One pully's tension is relaxed with a 6mm 1/4" drive socket on a 12" extension.

This is an inline 5 FWD, '92 Vigor.
With 270,000 miles on the clock I'm pretty sure this is its last.

Oh, and Campho-Phenique for the mosquito bites trying to work into the evening.

Well, it's all a bit of an evolution.

Flat tip is easy to product but is not very usable/durable when it comes to assembly/disassembly.

Phillips is better but it tends to "cam-out" at higher torques, by design.

Hex is easy to round out.

Torx is a better hex.

There's more to it, such as torque requirements, service life requirements, materials used, location, cost, etc. Different types of fasteners have their place.

Beyond that, every year vehicles get more complex because people demand that they become more complex. Consumers demand more features at a lower price, more strength at a lighter weight, more power with greater efficiency, and this all leads to compromise.

You could build an all-metal Honda Accord with no plastic parts, all polished stainless Torx fasteners, and with easily accessible components for maintenance, but no one would pay what it would cost.

Heck, you can do almost all scheduled maintenance on an AH-64D Apache with a set of torque wrenches and a ~200 piece tool box. But that was a design requirement that cost quite a bit of money from the drawing board.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I consider myself an expert at the selection of mechanics tools. Before there was the internet, I use to read tool catalogs all day long. I used to try and memorize the part numbers.

This brings back memories.

Even as a kid, tool catalogs were a top read.

The mention of cable hose clamp pliers made me laugh.

Our family had 4 cars with the simple spring clamp type hose clamp and the $40 I spent on the French made pliers was the best money I ever spent.

My super frugal (not cheap) friend saw them and went into his HORRIBLY BORING, PRERECORDED speech. "Gee Whiz, I just use vice grips....I wouldn't spend the money etc., etc."

"But {insert name here}, I can remove all the clamps involved in any job while holding one breath". If only the functioning of any tool was at the end of a 24" cable. How {much more} beautiful life would be.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
You can buy a LOT of tools when looking at paying a repair $120 an hour!

I make $35.13 an hour as a union semi truck mechanic. Our last contract gave us a one time $500
post tax tool allowance for the length of the contract. I have tools at work and tools at home in my garage.
The best mechanic we have (NOT me) has the smallest box in the shop and it's full of mainly older Craftsman tools.

Heh heh, I've found that hammers and pry bars can be substituted for many specialized one time or infrequently used tools. Last tool i bought was an 18mm socket for a one time use on a cab mount bolt on the Rat.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
People always wonder, why do you have so many tools? I'm not sure if I do something wrong or just like using the right tool for the job, but I find even a simple repair job or maintenance job requires like 5 different tools.

As a pro tech, you have no idea. Luckily I only work on one brand for a living. I do require many more tools to work on my own vehicle though.

I love finding gems, such as older quality tools at garage sales.Have found items at give away prices.With Craftsman around there is no reason not to own a full set of basic sockets,open end wrenches,screwdrivers,etc.I think a set of torx sockets, gear pullers,ball joint press,and a set of thread chasers is invaluable.This stuff just aint that expensive.Oh, and a good 3 lb sledge hammer is a lifesaver for some stubborn things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back