Low SAPS oil question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Brons2
Originally Posted By: fireman1073
Originally Posted By: kschachn
mercedes 3.0 liter om642 engines with bluetec and running 229.52 spec oil are sludeging and seizing up and mercedes is doing nothing to help
Its amsoil 5w40 diesel oil for me

How will that help?

thin oil, hot running diesel, 10,000 mile oil changes= sludge
me-> 5w40 5,000 oil change, removed engine covers, = long happy life

or maybe use oil analysis to determine appropriate service life, rather than just picking an abritrary number like 5000, 10000 or whatever.

yeah thats an option also....thanks

Originally Posted By: Brons2
Originally Posted By: kschachn
mercedes 3.0 liter om642 engines with bluetec and running 229.52 spec oil are sludeging and seizing up and mercedes is doing nothing to help
Its amsoil 5w40 diesel oil for me

How will that help?

thin oil, hot running diesel, 10,000 mile oil changes= sludge
me-> 5w40 5,000 oil change, removed engine covers, = long happy life

or maybe use oil analysis to determine appropriate service life, rather than just picking an abritrary number like 5000, 10000 or whatever.

I did and when I went 9500 on the 229.51 5-40, I had high iron and the TBN was very low. If you ask any indy MB or BMW mechanic, they will recommend around 5k OIC. Ask them.

Since engine protection is your #1 priority and emission system longevity is not much of a concern or at least a secondary one, why not go with a Full SAPS product that is approved by Mercedes? I mean, if you're considering a CK-4 15w40 product with an ash content of 1.0 that has no testing in regards to Mercedes PCMo applications, maybe going with a 229.5 product that will be full SAPS that has gone through at least some Mercedes tests- very tough ones at that- might be the best option? I don't pretend to know the difference in tests between 229.5 vs 229.51 but understand the difference of their respective applications.

That being said, Mercedes will no doubt have some of the toughest test in the industry. Just my .02 cents.

I do agree that their are some excellent 229.51 C3 oils that will be more than sufficient for your needs. The Motul and Mobil oils being the best options. Motul does make 229.51 oils in both a 5w30 and a 5w40.

Last edited:
One reason Diesel engines have traditionally lasted longer than gasoline engines is diesel fuel has lubricating properties and gasoline is basically a solvent. With the advent of low sulphur fuels-I think it is vital to find a diesel fuel additive with lubricant enhancers and use it consistently-every little bit helps with managing engine wear with emissions systems intact. The emission systems are so draconian they significantly increase engine wear regardless of the oil. Look at the used diesel oil analysis-nearly all of exemplary reports are from people who have removed the emission systems. Then you have a guy running 0w5 Neo racing oil-that still uses lead as an oil additive-for 25000 mile intervals with an older tdi with deleted emissions.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spiderbypass
One reason Diesel engines have traditionally lasted longer than gasoline engines is diesel fuel has lubricating properties and gasoline is basically a solvent.

What parts of a gasoline engine in contact with the fuel aren't being lubricated properly?

Originally Posted By: spiderbypass
One reason Diesel engines have traditionally lasted longer than gasoline engines is diesel fuel has lubricating properties and gasoline is basically a solvent. With the advent of low sulphur fuels-I think it is vital to find a diesel fuel additive with lubricant enhancers and use it consistently-every little bit helps with managing engine wear with emissions systems intact. The emission systems are so draconian they significantly increase engine wear regardless of the oil. Look at the used diesel oil analysis-nearly all of exemplary reports are from people who have removed the emission systems. Then you have a guy running 0w5 Neo racing oil-that still uses lead as an oil additive-for 25000 mile intervals with an older tdi with deleted emissions.

Oh man, give me a break. In Europe 1.6 tdi's and similar small 4 cyl diesels are making 300-400,000km like nothing. Emission system is problem because of sensors etc. and bring cost of maintenance up.
On other hand not sure I want to drive behind some guy that has smoke stack and running coal. Luckily at least in CO they are going after those idiots.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
Chronic TCW-3 in all the gassers, here is my Honda 500 after ten years on it.

It looks too good to be true
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
Originally Posted By: dblshock
Chronic TCW-3 in all the gassers, here is my Honda 500 after ten years on it.

It looks too good to be true
smile.gif

great lube for your fuel, cheap also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back