2013 Triumph Tiger 800 - 840mi on Rotella T6 5W40

Status
Not open for further replies.
This UOA relates to a post I made here: Link

But I also need to mention that I bought this bike used with some 30k miles on it. It spent much of its early life as a rental out in California so I was taking a big gamble on its longevity. I've seen how people treat rental cars, so I can only imagine how people will treat a rental bike.

However, it has been a great purchase thus far (knock on wood). This UOA gives me confidence that the internals are in good shape, and I hope to take the bike on some long rides (1000 miles+) soon.

(Note: The Rotella T6 used in this bike was prior to API SN)

t800blackstone.jpg

Did they say the oil was almost out of grade at 840 miles? Ouch.

Isnt the NEW oil released by Shell in the past several months more sheer stable?

I'm assuming you did this to get some known oil into the system ... It has sheared down some, but still in grade. The new one is still JASO MA so OK for bike motors. Might stay in grade better than the old stuff
smile.gif

Unless I'm missing something, the Blackstone 'should be' viscosity numbers are wrong per SAE J300.

A 40 is supposed to be 12.5 to less than 16.3 cst at 100C, but on the report the 'should be' numbers are 11.6-15.3.

11.92 makes this sample a thick 30, and at 840 miles it's probably not done shearing yet.

Originally Posted By: jeff78
Unless I'm missing something, the Blackstone 'should be' viscosity numbers are wrong per SAE J300.

A 40 is supposed to be 12.5 to less than 16.3 cst at 100C, but on the report the 'should be' numbers are 11.6-15.3.

11.92 makes this sample a thick 30, and at 840 miles it's probably not done shearing yet.

Yes Blackstone has very.... um.... unique definitions of the SAE grades.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back