Power steering in new cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is electric power steering replacing hydraulic power steering in new cars? Is there a pattern or will all cars make the move?

I read that all the driver aids like those that steer your vehicle back into your lane require electric power steering. Electric power steering systems are also more efficient.

Yes, it's more efficient. I've got EPS in the F150, and there are several documented failures on the Ford forums and a couple accidents.

Give me a good 'ole hydraulic system any day.

Originally Posted By: bigjl
I read that all the driver aids like those that steer your vehicle back into your lane require electric power steering. Electric power steering systems are also more efficient.
Hmmmn, Fine, is the electrical system been upgrade to deal with the draw? Seems like you're just shifting from one subsystem onto another. I don't even know, is my 16 Camry electric? RTM, I should put it on my throne's magazine rack.
grin2.gif

Yes, it's been taking over for 10 years. As mentioned, it's the first step towards driver assistance systems and eventually autonomy.

Electric has several advantages vs hydraulic.

One less pulley under the hood
One less fluid to check
No more hydraulic hoses
Full assist available even at idle
Assist level is variable and speed sensitive
Enables driver aids like lane keeping and self parallel parking

And yes, the alternator is beefed up to handle the load, my Fusion has a 150A rating iirc

There's still fluid, it's just a matter of taking your bumper off now if you want to access it. What a time to be alive
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
There's still fluid, it's just a matter of taking your bumper off now if you want to access it. What a time to be alive
smile.gif

EPS systems don't have fluid. At least not the Bosch (former ZF) systems that are ubiquitous these days.
They have a little bit of grease that is applied during assembly but there isn't any 'fluid' to speak of.

Just grease.

The EPS steering gear manufacturing facility I worked at only used Fuchs grease from a blue drum. Very exclusive
smile.gif
This grease was fed in to a central assemblyline-wide greasing system that greased all the contact areas as steering racks got assembled from bare parts.

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010

Enables driver aids like lane keeping and self parallel parking

Because staying in your own [censored] lane on the highway is so hard, isn't it? Sounds more like a bandaid for people who can't leave their mobiles alone while driving...

And self-parking? Again, if you can't park, don't drive a car!

(This isn't an attack on you, rather an attack on the gimmicks we seem to "need" in 2017. Just another reason I am zero interest in current production vehicles)

Last edited:
Rely on a new Ford gimcrack? Nahh I'll wait a few yrs for the kinks to work out.
Seeing a Bosch brand on stuff doesn't thrill me like it used to either
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: andyd
Rely on a new Ford gimcrack? Nahh I'll wait a few yrs for the kinks to work out.
Seeing a Bosch brand on stuff doesn't thrill me like it used to either
grin2.gif

Shouldn't have to excite. It's globalist "censored".
Let's look at the breakdown of a Kentucky-made Bosch steering rack:

Bearings from China.
Rack housing final machining done in the US but who knows where before that.
Servomotor from Mexico! Nidec MEXICO
Sensors from Eastern Europe
Tie rod ends from Korea
Rubber boots from Eastern Europe

rest of rant deleted

Some form of EPS is the norm on most new mainstream cars and trucks. It has its advantages, but it isn't always good. Personally, I like the hydraulic recirculating ball steering on my 1994 Ranger. Like a '79 Town Car with the radius of a Mini.
grin.gif

Remember you need the most boost when the car is stopped and idling, so the hydraulic pump is sized for that. Blowing down the highway, you don't need assist, but have several times the fluid flow which just goes into a bypass.

EPS is efficient just like electric radiator cooling fans are, and for much the same reason.

I have had 2 cars with electric power steering (one GM and a Nissan) both were perfectly fine. I don't understand all the negativity surrounding it. Both implementations worked, neither had issues and it felt fine while driving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back