04 Lexus ES330 PYB SAE 30 5,515 miles w/TBN/TAN/PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Straight 30 probably fine at least 6 months of the year in Jacksonville, FL.

Good report.

Flashpoint on single grade very high! 470!

So, quick question here. Is the reason we aren't very concerned with the TAN numbers because it was such a fairly short run?

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Are these filters spin-on or cartridge type? The PC data doesn't make sense.

Here's a UOA with a Fram TG (also 99% @ 20 microns), and the oil after 5000 miles in a bike (with shared transmission, ie gear and clutch wear going on) was much cleaner than the new oil from the bottle.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4107645/Honda_NC700X_Red_Line_10W30

I'm wondering how consistent and accurate these Blackstone particle counts are. Also, in your 2 PCs, one was ran twice as long so not sure if duration of run might have a bearing on the final PC.

Spin on filter in a PH3614 size. I agree that the PC data doesn't correlate with my expectations, at all. I'll get another PC next oil change with the same filter run for the same miles and get another look with the same filter on back to back runs of similar mileage.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
Great post, I thought the PYB 30 would do well, but not that well. Sweet engine in that Lexus.

Thank you! I also suspected it would work well given the ambient temps here and the usage cycle of the car. I'm starting to think it's hard to get a bad sample using just about any oil. We shall see as the next 3-4 changes aren't likely to be repeat oils of anything I've previously run.

Oils still to try:
Magnatec 5w30 or 10w30 I have both
Rotella T4 10w30 SM
Edge 10w30
Defy 5w20 high zinc formula
Delo 15w30 SD
M1 ESP 0w30
Napa Synthetic 5w30
MileSyn SXR 5w30
Mobil 5k 10w30

Currently in the sump is Valvoline SynPower 20w50.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
I'm starting to think it's hard to get a bad sample using just about any oil.

I wish I had a test stand with that engine on it.
I'd put in some good (meaning reputable, not "City Star") non-detergent 30 for 1000 miles and see what wear numbers are.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
I'm starting to think it's hard to get a bad sample using just about any oil.

I wish I had a test stand with that engine on it.
I'd put in some good (meaning reputable, not "City Star") non-detergent 30 for 1000 miles and see what wear numbers are.

I'm willing to try a lot of oils in this engine but a ND 30 probably isn't one of them. Not even for 1,000 miles. Too much to rish with very little to be gathered honestly. At least with the oils I'm running and intend to run in the future they're all rated for modern engines. With the exception of the Quaker State Defy which carries no API seal due to the zinc.

Despite saying sae 30, the viscosity seems to be close to the 5w30 comparison uoa or am I misinterpreting it?

That being said. Summer weather means sae30 is probably thinner on startup than any 5w30 could ever be in freezing conditions. So you made a good choice to use it and uoa agrees. Also agree that 5k miles is fine and no need to push further considering how much you stole that oil for
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: KL31
Despite saying sae 30, the viscosity seems to be close to the 5w30 comparison uoa or am I misinterpreting it?

That being said. Summer weather means sae30 is probably thinner on startup than any 5w30 could ever be in freezing conditions. So you made a good choice to use it and uoa agrees. Also agree that 5k miles is fine and no need to push further considering how much you stole that oil for
wink.gif

The SAE 30 is slightly thicker than the 5w30 but not by much, as shown in the analysis and the associated range of acceptability for viscosity is slightly different between the two. I'm pleased with how the oil performed and it's hard to complain with what I paid for it. Car is currently about 1,000 miles into the next oil change with another cheap filter in use. This time it has some Valvoline SynPower 20w50 also purchased on clearance. I'll put something more appropriate for the mild fall into winter season this October when it's due for another service.

This is an impressive reminder that you don't need an exotic oil to do the job. Nothing could be less exotic than PYB straight 30 weight, and yet here are excellent results.

Originally Posted By: wgtoys
This is an impressive reminder that you don't need an exotic oil to do the job. Nothing could be less exotic than PYB straight 30 weight, and yet here are excellent results.

Yes, at least within the limits of a Blackstone type oil analysis.

It reinforces the notion that any oil that meets the required specification will not display a significant difference in an analysis, showing the irrelevance of oil type or brand.

Originally Posted By: wgtoys

Part of the reason I did it was to see how it would do, also because I have a ton of this oil that I got CHEAP. Happy to share the results.

No surprise there were no issues running Pennzoil SAE30 in Florida in a Lexus for 5k over 3 months between April and July.

Kind of a nice example of synthetic lasting twice as long as conventional.

TBN at 5k is the same as Ultra's TBN at 10k.

TAN is high especially when compared to Ultra and seeing it is 5k vs 10k.

Insolubles are higher after 5k compared to 10k on Ultra.

Also not a surprise that Blackstone particle counts bring up more questions than they answer.

Originally Posted By: zeng
Impressive UOA for a monograde 30.

I certainly wasn't disappointed. Upcoming UOA at Blackstone now awaiting analysis are a 5600 mile run on Valvoline SynPower 20w50 and a 4800 mile run on the old API SL formula "High Zinc" Quaker State Defy 5w20. I expect the results in this week on both of those runs.

Since you're doing UOAs with particle counts, what would be really interesting is if you ran a MicroGreen filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back