CV front drive axle recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see the following CV axles at major stores. Any recommendations? How about remanufactured vs. new?

Pep Boys A1 Cardone Remanufactured [$53.49 - $16.50 promotion]
O'Reilly MasterPro Remanufactured (same as Pep Boys A1 Cardone Remanufactured?) [$52.99]
O'Reilly Import Direct Driveline New [$71.99]
Autozone Duralast Gold New [$74.99]

Would the new ones fit properly and have the rubber vibration dampers? I assume remanufactured ones use the original Toyota shafts but everything else is put new.

If you can afford the downtime, I would remove yours and have it rebuilt or see if a local rebuilder has an axle for your application in stock.

Otherwise, pick the cheapest store brand axle, have yours rebuilt, and then install your rebuilt OEM axle when the parts store axle fails. Could be a day, a week, or a month. It has taken me 3 tries to get a good parts store axle before.

You can also buy a new OEM joint and boot and rebuild it yourself.

As mentioned, having your factory units rebuilt by a driveline shop is best. You could even get a factory pair out of the salvage yard and have those rebuilt. I watch a lot of mechanic videos and those guys are always complaining about parts store axles; especially Cardone.

My order of preference:

1. New OE
2. Rebuilt OE
3. Any aftermarket w/ lifetime warranty

LOTS of space between those options. I won't settle for a lower option unless there's absolutely no way I can put up the cash for it. My experience with new vs. used/rebuilt, and OE vs. non-OE, has been similar to what Oldmoparguy1 said. The economy of cheaper parts is very often a false one.

If new OE isn't an option for whatever reason, I like rooflessVW's suggestion. Could be a good way to go if circumstances demand.

Merkava4's suggestion is a good one, too.

Personally, I would go with new OEM, OEM reman from the dealer or new manufacture offshore parts before dealing with parts store special remans.

Most of the parts store remans regardless of brand are done by cardone anyways. The problem with cardone remans is that they go to oversize components rather than replace with new. This removes the case hardening and causes the tolerance to go way out and wear out faster.

CV axle replacement is usually a one time affair in most vehicles service life. Spending the extra coin for better new or OEM remans is money well spent.

I bought new from Advanced Auto, only cost $10 more then the remanufactured from the other box stores. I paid like $75 for my 1999 Nissan Sentra. Worked great.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
If you can afford the downtime, I would remove yours and have it rebuilt or see if a local rebuilder has an axle for your application in stock.

Otherwise, pick the cheapest store brand axle, have yours rebuilt, and then install your rebuilt OEM axle when the parts store axle fails. Could be a day, a week, or a month. It has taken me 3 tries to get a good parts store axle before.

You can also buy a new OEM joint and boot and rebuild it yourself.

I used to get remanufactured ones from the local AXT Axles in Pasadena here but they went out of business. They would also install them for free.

Driver's side OEM outboard joint costs $200. No OEM boot kits are available. I also don't know the quality of my core since it isn't what came originally with my car but what I got from the local place.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
My order of preference:

1. New OE
2. Rebuilt OE
3. Any aftermarket w/ lifetime warranty

New OEM 43420-12061 costs $400. Remanufactured OEM is not available.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
New aftermarket.

In other words new Chinese knock-off.

What are people's experiences with Chinese knock-offs for CV axles? Do the shafts fit and hold up against corrosion? Joints and boots any good?

Aftermarket stuff is always a roll of the dice. There's no question it can be as good as OE, or even better. The problem is that there's no good way to tell in advance.

As I'm sure you know, there's a good reason OE costs as much as it does. The OE tax is real for sure, but 99% of the time the price premium also buys you a better guarantee of quality. A >$300 price differential looks like a lot, but that value disappears real fast if you have to repeat the repair.

A lifetime guarantee is nice, and definitely improves the odds that the part won't completely suck. But what if it's just slightly below par, e.g. it has a vibration in a certain small speed range but nowhere else? They might not even honor the warranty for that. And even if they do, it's not like they're going to send you a better part. They'll just send you one that was built to the same standards -- i.e. another roll of the same dice.

IME, aftermarket is only worthwhile when:

A. You just cannot put up the cash for OE no matter what, or
B. The OE part has a specific problem that the aftermarket part fixes with no (or tolerable) downsides.

FWIW.

Cardone reman CV axles have given me no problems. They use the OEM shafts, which include the vibration dampers where required.

Autozone and Napa reman axles are also Cardone.

Does Raxles do them for your car? They are supposedly the best reman axles.

There is no hurry, as the joint hasn't been clicking that much yet while turning. It will probably last several thousand miles.

$400 parts + $175 labor is a little too much for an OEM part. I'm inclined to get this new Chinese CV axle. I'm thinking that any remanufatured CV axle will use Chinese joints and boots, so why not get the whole thing assembled new in China? Or are these simply not good?

https://www.amazon.com/SurTrack-TO-8035-CV-Axle-Shaft/dp/B00DCO2IF6

made by Wonh Industries Co, Ltd, which also makes OEM CV axles for Chinese cars:

http://www.wonhparts.com/

81LBypraI6L._SL1500_.jpg

Honestly, I've used Cardone axles that were really cheap without issue.
These are also pretty easy to replace and are a good DIY project.
I've done a few of these over the years, including merely buying a new outer joint alone, beating it off with a heavy hammer and then giving love taps with the same hammer to install the new one on the axle.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Honestly, I've used Cardone axles that were really cheap without issue.
These are also pretty easy to replace and are a good DIY project.
I've done a few of these over the years, including merely buying a new outer joint alone, beating it off with a heavy hammer and then giving love taps with the same hammer to install the new one on the axle.

I don't think you can even get aftermarket joints for my CV axle. OEM joint is $200.

So, the choices are: $400 OEM, $40 new Chinese SurTrack knock-off, $50 remanufactured A1 Cardone, and $?? local-shop remanufactured axle.

I've also read about the CVJ and Raxle axles.

I believe mine were duralast from AAP. They are doing the job. Only have a few thousand miles on them so far.

The oem died cause some epithet at a shop screwed up an engine mount and the resultant movement damaged the axles. I replaced the mounts and got everything tightened up and paid a shop to change the CVs

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
I believe mine were duralast from AAP. They are doing the job. Only have a few thousand miles on them so far.

The oem died cause some epithet at a shop screwed up an engine mount and the resultant movement damaged the axles. I replaced the mounts and got everything tightened up and paid a shop to change the CVs

Were they remanufactured Duralast A1 Cardone or new Duralast Gold Chinese Wonh Industries SurTrac? I see that Autozone discontinued the remanufactured Duralast A1 Cardone and only selling the new Chinese Duralast Gold Wonh Industries SurTrac for my car. I can get the remanufactured A1 Cardone from Pep Boys or O'Reilly though.

So, how would you guys vote on the following?

A1 Cardone remanufactured with OEM core (about $50)
Chinese Wonh Industries SurTrac all-new with non-OEM core (about $40)
Local-shop rebuilt/remanufactured with OEM core ($??)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back