Soot levels

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my current sample at 30,000 miles on Schaeffer's Oil with amsoil bypass kit I sent two samples out one 2 Blackstone and 1 to Schaeffer's. this is the first sample I've sent out that I've got an actual soot rating on it came back as cautionary at 2.16, any insight on soot level so I did spin on a new set of full flows and add two gallons of makeup oil right after I sent the sample. what are the limits on soot?

Per Detroit, the condemnation level is 4.5% as long as the oil meets Detroit spec.

I'm glad to see you got a report that includes soot. If it were me, I'd stick with a lab that does so. The soot being over 2% with bypass filters seems very high (I said the same of the insolubles that Blackstone reported), but I guess it may be just the nature of the duty the truck sees. If this is from the older of your engines, it could be due in part to the decreased efficiency of worn cylinders/ injectors combined with the duty cycle.

You're OK so far but keep a close watch until you have a bit more experience and history with the bypass/extended oci setup.

Last edited:
I also have another Blackstone report from the same 30k uoa coming. With the new full flow on and 2 gallons of make up oil I think I will retest at 40k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back