New to the game...OW40 Amsoil vs Castrol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Evening folks,

I've been trying to understand this crazy world of oils here. I've been a fan of amsoil for quite some time - UOA on my previous G37 always turned out great, at least...in the the eyes of an amateur. Despite, would love to utilize amsoil again on my '18 BMW 440i, and upon doing some research, it seems that Castrol's OW40 is a popular choice. I understand HTHS and that essentially...the higher the better. I've also come to understand that O weight oils tend to do better in either spectrums (cold vs hot).

These two are the info sheets that I found. It seems to be that amsoil performs better? But because I cannot quantify this data, I have honestly no idea if amsoil's seemingly better performance is large enough to warrant using amsoil vs castrol. My commute as of next month, will only be 10 minutes in CA weather (Loma Linda). I drive more aggressively than most (currently in Seattle); I do not care about gas mileage, rather would be happier knowing that I am running an oil that provides more protection, but am concerned that the car will take a hit while driving only a ten minute commute, where my motor will likely not reach normal operating temperatures. Any thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks guys!

Last edited:
Castrol wins on price, availability, and certifications.

But if you run Amsoil you will belong to a cult of people that can say: "I run Amsoil!"

Originally Posted By: eksigned
I would be happier knowing that I am running an oil that provides more protection, but am concerned that the car will take a hit while driving only a ten minute commute, where my motor will likely not reach normal operating temperatures. Any thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks guys!

Pleas explain how you believe synthetic oil "provides more protection"...

In what way?

Protection against what, exactly?

Your 2018 440i comes with free maintenance which you have already paid for in the purchase price of the car. Take advantage of it.

When the maintenance is expired continue using the oil spec the car calls for. There is no reason to use a 40wt oil for a 10 minute commute at all. Oil will never reach operating temp.

First of all,
welcome2.gif
to BITOG. Lots of good info here as well as strong opinions. I'll give you mine.
laugh.gif

In So Cal's moderate weather, there's no need for a 0w40 oil; you could go with 10w40 and never look back. However there are your warranty considerations so the advice to keep with specified oil under warranty is good in that respect. Taking advantage of free dealership oil changes?
thumbsup2.gif

From experience, I've found that Amsoil's products perform very well, despite the lack of certifications - which seems to come from their reluctance to actually pay for those certifications.

The Edge is also a very good oil; you can't go wrong with either of your choices.

Originally Posted By: shanneba
Amsoil does not list a recommended oil for a 2017 440i. They do show a 0w-20 as the correct viscosity.

http://www.amsoil.com/lookup/auto-and-li...urbo/us-volume/

You like Amsoil, why not run the Signature Series 0w-20? Do a UOA and see how it performs compare it to the BMW (Shell) oil the dealer uses for your free service.

I belieive Amsoil's page hasn't been updated for the 2018 models yet; I believe the 20 weight specification is for the non-turbo model.

Originally Posted By: Kuato

I belieive Amsoil's page hasn't been updated for the 2018 models yet; I believe the 20 weight specification is for the non-turbo model.

Amsoil's page I linked shows the following info:

This vehicle is equipped with a turbocharger. Turbos create severe service conditions by dramatically increasing temperatures. AMSOIL synthetic motor oils provide excellent protection for turbocharged vehicles. When using AMSOIL Signature Series Synthetic Motor Oil, do not exceed the severe-service drain interval of 15,000 miles, 700 hours or one year, whichever comes first.
VISCOSITIES:
All TEMPS....0W-20

Last edited:

BMW 440i is only turbocharged, the B58. Seems weird, I know, but BMW says to use 0w20 in turbo engines.
That's why I'd be tempted to go up one viscosity grade, just a little, to a LL-01FE BMW TwinPower (Shell's) 0w30 branded oil, which raises HTHS a bit to 3.0.
I don't recommend going to Castrol Edge 0w40 which has an excessive HTHS 3.6 for this engine.

One could ask their BMW dealership to use BMW TwinPower 0w30 instead of their 0w20, they might agree to that.

I understand HTHS and that essentially...the higher the better.
Not quite true. There is a "sweet spot". Too thick and you lose performance unnecessarily, and too thin and wear goes up.

BMW has pegged the BMW 440i engine at an HTHS of about 2.7. Running a 3.5 HTHS would be excessive.
Your engine will do OK on extra HTHS, but not better.
If you want a small extra cushion of HTHS, BMW will probably let you run an HTHS=3.0 in their LL-01FE 0w30 instead of the 0w20 HTHS=2.7 actually spec'ed.
It seems to be that amsoil performs better?
Amsoil works, yet going by the fact that an oil actually IS MB 229.5, Porsche A40, and LL-01 is probably worth more than just "recommended for" as Amsoil claims. Amosil isn't officially certified in most cases. Castrol Edge is certified for all that, officially approved, not just saying "we think we're good enough" as Amsoil does.

this is GREAT information. appreciate the knowledge. BMW Riverside, as I've been informed, uses Castrol 5W30 in all their BMW cars (non-M). I wanted to use something along the same lines to prevent going back and forth between weights. I was planning on changing oil changes between the included intervals. will continue hunting!

I suppose by "protection" I'm implying to your typical wear and tear - metal on metal, and protection from both short term drives where the engine does not warm to full operating temperature, as well as protection from high heat situations from more spirited driving. As for the synthetic oil claim, from the information that I've gathered, synthetic oils simply perform better against shearing and retain their original weights better than non-synthetic conventional oils...hence the claim ^

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Seventh
Your 2018 440i comes with free maintenance which you have already paid for in the purchase price of the car. Take advantage of it.

When the maintenance is expired continue using the oil spec the car calls for. There is no reason to use a 40wt oil for a 10 minute commute at all. Oil will never reach operating temp.

Would you mind making a recommendation and why? I'm leaning towards 0W30 Castrol A3?

ek - Finding an oil that meets the manufacturer certs is more important than weight or brand name.

Find an oil that meets the BMW certification for your engine.
THEN you can start comparing the other specs for each oil.

Would hate to see that turbo damaged by improper lube!

Good luck.
thumbsup2.gif

Went for another ride through the Amsoil site - still amazed with all the "engineered for use" (in the following specs) - where other companies must carry "Builder Approval" ... or an OEM license ...

I'd use the dealer service and when that's almost up - see what current oils meet the current B.A. ...

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies

BMW 440i is only turbocharged, the B58. Seems weird, I know, but BMW says to use 0w20 in turbo engines.
That's why I'd be tempted to go up one viscosity grade, just a little, to a LL-01FE BMW TwinPower (Shell's) 0w30 branded oil, which raises HTHS a bit to 3.0.
I don't recommend going to Castrol Edge 0w40 which has an excessive HTHS 3.6 for this engine.

One could ask their BMW dealership to use BMW TwinPower 0w30 instead of their 0w20, they might agree to that.

I understand HTHS and that essentially...the higher the better.
Not quite true. There is a "sweet spot". Too thick and you lose performance unnecessarily, and too thin and wear goes up.

BMW has pegged the BMW 440i engine at an HTHS of about 2.7. Running a 3.5 HTHS would be excessive.
Your engine will do OK on extra HTHS, but not better.
If you want a small extra cushion of HTHS, BMW will probably let you run an HTHS=3.0 in their LL-01FE 0w30 instead of the 0w20 HTHS=2.7 actually spec'ed.
It seems to be that amsoil performs better?
Amsoil works, yet going by the fact that an oil actually IS MB 229.5, Porsche A40, and LL-01 is probably worth more than just "recommended for" as Amsoil claims. Amosil isn't officially certified in most cases. Castrol Edge is certified for all that, officially approved, not just saying "we think we're good enough" as Amsoil does.

For your information B58 is specd. for LL-01 or LL-04 in Europe. Here is the U.S. BMW is specifying 0W20 to address excessive wear due to the fact that 99% of BMW buyers are buying cars to impress neighbor and use it to drive to grocery store.
In Europe in that engine is used LL04 spefcification which requires HTHS of 3.5 minimum.
So, using Castrol 0W40 in B48 or B58 is more then OK, actually if you drive BMW the way it should be driven, it is definiately preferable.
Here is what Castrol UK recommends for B58 (unfortunately we do not get this Castrol here):
Castrol 0W30 LL-04
Mobil1 for example recommends for German market Mobil1 5W30 ESP.
Castrol Edge 0W40 has HTHS of 3.7
Mobil1 5W30 ESP has 3.58 same as Castrol Edge 0W30 LL-04.
So, bottom line, for the U.S> market, while LL-04 is not recommended due to higher sulfur in gas, LL-01 is perfectly fine to use.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 4WD
Went for another ride through the Amsoil site - still amazed with all the "engineered for use" (in the following specs) - where other companies must carry "Builder Approval" ... or an OEM license ...

I'd use the dealer service and when that's almost up - see what current oils meet the current B.A. ...

They are slowly getting approvals, but price does not justify performance.

this is GREAT information. appreciate the knowledge. BMW Riverside, as I've been informed, uses Castrol 5W30 in all their BMW cars (non-M). I wanted to use something along the same lines to prevent going back and forth between weights. I was planning on changing oil changes between the included intervals. will continue hunting!

Use Castrol 0W40!
Difference between Castrol 0W40 and 0W30 when it comes to thickness is around 9%. HTHS of 0W40 is 3.7 while 0W30 is 3.58.
0W40 is easier to find, cheaper and it is actually same base stock. It is also better oil that Amsoil you listed. It has same HTHS as Amsoil, but lower NOACK.

No BMW dealership uses castrol oil since 2015. It's all made by pennzoil (shell) now. Your car will most likely call for 0w20 (LL-14FE+) or possibly 0w30 (LL-01FE). You won't find many (if any) oils that carry those certifications besides factory stuff.

Dealer will absolutely not put 5w30 in it. LL-01 is being phased out.

For a short tripper with occasional romps and shorter oci intervals I would stick with the 0w20 unless the sticker under the hood calls for the 0w30.

I see turbo bmw and Mini cars with b/38/48/58 come in having been run absolutely ragged in 110+ degree heat after 15k+ mi between services running the 0w20 sauce and they are fine. Oil level isn't even low.

For in-between services just use the same factory lube the dealer uses or pennzoil ultra platinum. Many believe it's the same as the bmw oils but just don't carry the official certification on the label.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back