What oil additives make a difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Ihatetochangeoil
https://www.amazon.com/MotorSilk-Engine-...words=motorsilk

Unlike 99.44% of snake oils out there, this stuff actually has a US Patent... U.S. Patent #5,431,830 by ARCH Development Corp., Argonne, Illinois.
Please understand that having a patent does NOT imply that it works. It only means that it's different, or it's manufactured in a different way.

I could make a mixture of group 1 oil and beach sand and patent that as an oil additive (unless someone's beaten me to it).

Originally Posted By: kr_bitog
From my experience, for old cars Redline SI-1 and Suprotec Active Plus works quite consistently, other that works for short period (1 OCI) is Rislone, Lubegard, Restore and LM MoS2.

For new cars, i think SI-1 and SN-RC oil with high moly still work the best.

Yes, but you don't put SI-1 in the oil!

Zinc additives seem to work well enough for engines that need higher zinc levels with the flat tappet cams. The camshafts are not showing excess wear that's why I say "seem", no hard data and I have no idea if there are any negative side effects on other parts or base oil.

Originally Posted By: kohnen

Unlike 99.44% of snake oils out there, this stuff actually has a US Patent... U.S. Patent #5,431,830 by ARCH Development Corp., Argonne, Illinois.
Please understand that having a patent does NOT imply that it works. It only means that it's different, or it's manufactured in a different way.

I could make a mixture of group 1 oil and beach sand and patent that as an oil additive (unless someone's beaten me to it).

Their site has test data with over 300 reports: http://www.altboron.com/tech_data/test_reports.html

It's not that you said anything untrue, I just expected slightly more informed responses from BITOG. I understand you have researched your response as much as I have researched group 1 oil and beach sand. I was hoping for slightly more informed feedback; guess I need to learn to lower my expectations.

I don't think my response was uninformed. Your original two points were that, unlike 99.44% of the snake oils out there, Motor Silk actually has a patent, and that they sell it in 400 pound drums. Neither of these points argue for (or against) how well Motor Silk works.

Lots of folks believe that, by having a U. S. Patent, the Federal government is endorsing the product. They are not. They are merely establishing that the product is unique. In that same spirit, I was warning that having a U. S. Patent does not imply that a product is useful, or even does what it claims it does. I made this warning because there are folks who will take the existence of a U. S. Patent as an endorsement of a product and therefore a reason to buy it. If the only things you said about Motor Silk is it's patented and comes in 400 pound drums, then I would certainly caution both small and large buyers to further investigate the product before buying.

Your later post, stating "Their site has test data with over 300 reports: http://www.altboron.com/tech_data/test_reports.html" has more documentation regarding the effectiveness of Motor Silk, and would be a good place to start researching the product.

I don't think my response was uninformed. Your original two points were that, unlike 99.44% of the snake oils out there, Motor Silk actually has a patent, and that they sell it in 400 pound drums. Neither of these points argue for (or against) how well Motor Silk works.

Lots of folks believe that, by having a U. S. Patent, the Federal government is endorsing the product. They are not. They are merely establishing that the product is unique. In that same spirit, I was warning that having a U. S. Patent does not imply that a product is useful, or even does what it claims it does. I made this warning because there are folks who will take the existence of a U. S. Patent as an endorsement of a product and therefore a reason to buy it. If the only things you said about Motor Silk is it's patented and comes in 400 pound drums, then I would certainly caution both small and large buyers to further investigate the product before buying.

This is an extremely important point. Like you say, patents in no way prove efficacy they only show novelty. I have personally seen patents awarded for inventions that were completely useless yet were novel. One of them was for an environmental sensor that my company paid good money to obtain the patent. Unfortunately it was useless. Several years after the patent was granted I was at a conference where one of our competitors asked how we were able to resolve the intractable problem with that sensor. They were coming from the viewpoint that surely if we had gone to the trouble of obtaining the patent then surely we had made it work. They (and others) had worked on the technology for years but had only come to a dead end. I didn't let on that our device was just as useless as theirs.

Same thing goes for "FAA Approval". There is a certain device often discussed on here where inevitably someone brings up that the thing is FAA Approved as proof of its effectiveness. Not true. All that shows is that the device conforms to the type design of the aircraft, as amended. It does not mean that it is beneficial.

Your later post, stating "Their site has test data with over 300 reports: http://www.altboron.com/tech_data/test_reports.html" has more documentation regarding the effectiveness of Motor Silk, and would be a good place to start researching the product.

Let's try a refresher here. The subject matter of the thread is "What oil additives make a difference?" And my pertinent, on topic, unanswered question regarding Motorsilk was:

Anyone have any before vs after UOA with this stuff?

I was asking for data outside of Motorsilk's website.

I was initially hesitant when it comes to oil additives but I was curious with Everglide when my buddy who works as a chauffeur at the Shangri-La hotel recommended it to me. Decided to give it a go. Pretty much worth the $19.99 as I had a nice experience with Everglide EGS. Was curious with the nano-based formula and its difference with that of the other oil treatments. Driving is now smoother, less noise and increased MPG. I guess you just have to pick your additives carefully and combine it with a powerful engine oil. So far so good.

Since I used oil additive in Honda Concerto 1.5 d15b2 with worn synchronizers , and gears stops grind 300 km after using it, I use oil additives in my cars. However most of them do not work, are sneak oils etc.

Ok results frm this one. Not sure how long effects will last though.

Smoother and much quieter engine. Engine slap noise really down.

I think for really beat engines, Restore is a good product that can improve compression and help the engine get by for a bit longer.

That can of Bardahl is 'old stuff' when they used to use lead napthenate(sp?) as an additive in it...now they use a completely different mix of additives, but it does still look like a good mix.

My experience with Auto-RX in early '00s was incredible.

1991 toyota Camry wagon 2.0 liter 4 valve
at 90,000 miles every morning it would blow a 2 second puff of blue smoke on startup , no more during the day...valve seals leaking?
after driving 5 hours to Rochester on 3 diff occasions it would have rod knock and billowing smoke in am, shut down restart normal...Piston Ring stuck?
after adding 12 ox Auto-RX I would jump out every morning and watch the smoke, it disappeared before the 3,000 mi OCI
I jumped out and looked for 5 more years, never smoked again, at all, by now i had stopped taking it on long trips..but no knocking
I sold it at 154,000 to a friend who put 30-40k more, I serviced it for her and always asked about smoke, none noticed

Im sold on it but I've not had a car that needed it since then

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Buy some ISO ESTER AC POE oil from NAPA and dump that in. Then you will get a nice shot of cleaning and clinging. This is the lube that lives in your sealed fridge compressor for 20-30 years without being changed lubing the wankel compressor in there.
Liqui-Moly messed up my Honda FIT , but its working fine in a NON FILTERED splash lubed GENERAC C-Honda.

We all know that you hate MoS2 and attribute it to "messing-up" your Honda by plugging your oil filter (nonsense, can't happen), yet you espouse dumping refrigerant oil in an engine crankcase? Are you out of your mind?

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Buy some ISO ESTER AC POE oil from NAPA and dump that in. Then you will get a nice shot of cleaning and clinging. This is the lube that lives in your sealed fridge compressor for 20-30 years without being changed lubing the wankel compressor in there.

Liqui-Moly messed up my Honda FIT , but its working fine in a NON FILTERED splash lubed GENERAC C-Honda.

Err, do you have any idea how hygroscopic refrigeration POE is !!??

It becomes acidic incredibly quickly when exposed to the atmosphere, and the reason it last so long in refrigeration usage is that there is no combustion process to contaminate it, and there is absolutely no moisture present to form any acid.

And a wankel compressor ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back