Parts store stupid customers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking back, I remember an online review of one of my favourite parts stores. The customer complained because the parts store wouldn't deliver parts to him after hours on a long weekend.

First off, these are parts, not pizzas. They get delivered to shops, not to individuals. Secondly, at a roadside emergency, you need a tow truck, not a parts man. The long weekend thing is just icing on the cake.

To the OP: if your store uses Activant for parts lookup, like many stores do here in Ontario, you can do cross-references, quite easy. It also takes VIN of the car in question, so less guessing.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Sounds like those customers would make great employees for most part store chains
smile.gif

Good people are hard to find, somewhere near 50% of the population is below average... its just that they consume, reproduce and vote.

I LOVE THIS STATEMENT

Steve

Originally Posted By: addyguy
This is a reply thread to 'Auto parts store idiots' thread. I work as a parts-counter person at a Canadian Tire store, and have for five years now.

To start with, you are somewhat right; there are a lot of people hired by stores like ours that shouldn't be there. Low-bidder thinking does get you people who are just there as a body, and don't know or care. But there are people, such as myself (if I may brag a bit) who do care about the job, know a thing or two, and do learn as we go.

One big problem is that there is a divide - 'retail' parts places, like ours, are married to a system that is 'year, make, model' to look up parts...you don't go by knowing parts, cross references or stuff like that. It is a system that is designed for speed, to people in and out as quick as possible. Smaller 'garage' parts places go by old-school guys who KNOW parts from working with them. They take their time looking up cross-references or diagrams to find parts...they are in no hurry. Some retail systems have no functionality to look up by parts numbers..just year, make, model.

As my title suggests, there is also a problem with customers who have no clue! You would no believe how many times a day I have someone come in and ask for parts, and they have no idea what year their car is, or what engine it has! Sometimes it does not matter, but a lot of times, it does! The real kicker is these people often get mad at me because 'all parts are the same, just go get it'. I try to help people, and say 'when you bought it, what engine did you get'? I usually get an incredulous laugh, and 'I bought the blue one!'

Another one we get is people who want to fix something on their car because they are too cheap to have a shop do it, but they don't know how to do it, and just expect we will tell them exactly how to do it. Yes, a lot of ex-mechanics can do it, but as said above, most of us in a retail setting aren't techs. If you are coming to buy parts at a parts desk, and are doing it yourself, you should know what you are doing. But no, these customers come in and want you to walk them through exactly how to do some complex repair, and get mad when you don't know all the steps, specs, and tools they need!

The other one that really fries me is the number of lazy jerks who send their wife in to pick up parts, when they know even less about cars. Sure, some women do know a lot and are fine, but honestly most don't. To top it off, they think if you can't help them, if they 'threaten' you, it will work - 'If my husband has to come in because you gave me the wrong part, he will be very upset'

So there is a flip side to this!

One question: Do you understand that it's about 100 times more wrong for the professional business to be incompetent and ignorant than it is for the customer to be that way?

There is complete expectation for a business to know there business, and absolutely none for the customer.

If I caught one of my guys getting on the phone and literally every statement he made regarding product and system was false, he would be done on the spot.

My business is the marine business. 80% of my customers can identify one component on the boat: The boat itself. We wouldn't last another week if we could be compared to our customers in terms of knowledge and professionalism.

Without naming the major auto parts chain locally, the GM at my local store has as twisted a sense of humor as I do (thankfully), so it makes my visits there rather enjoyable. Several months back I go in and he's working with a newbie behind the counter. We exchange our normal twisted greetings and he tells me he's training a newbie, winks and walks off.

Of course, I have to be my kind, easy going self in asking the newbie for an interlocking granistan joint for the front drive on a 1970 Jeep CJ5. He spend about 12,000 calories looking through books, on line, even asking the GM (who would tell him it's under Jeep drive parts) before the GM came to the rescue and told me he'd have to order it from the warehouse (wink, wink, nudge, nudge) . . . so I ended up with oil some filters, and some other things . . . all while the newbie was still figuring out the interlocking whatcha-callit.

Being able to do things like that with your regulars at parts places makes getting the dirty job done less of a hassle.

Shame they discontinued the synthetic blinker fluid last year.

Just remember, those customers you complain of pay your salary. Maybe you should try another line of work, like cleaning septic systems. No one to bother you.

Last edited:
Dumb people on both sides of the counter. It's retail....deal with it or find another line of work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back