Replacing lower control arm Sienna - MFG opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: nthach
My parents have an 05 Sienna - I haven't heard of any weird sounds but should I plan on replacing these eventually? Should I even try to replace the bushings instead of the OEM arm?

I would advise against that, and here's why. Once the rear bushing fails, there's a considerable amount of twisting force upon the front bushing where it bolts to frame. Because I was concerned that this would be the case on my van, I elected to get a new control arm.

You would need a press to get the rear bushing out. I would get the OEM Toyota control arm, and check the ball joints. They make still be good.

Originally Posted By: NJC
Originally Posted By: Huie83
Consensus is, which is backed by feedback from Sienna owners that have done this job, is to buy the Toyota OEM parts.

The aftermarket, no matter which brand, all lasted an average of 3-4 years before the rubber cracked again.Some of the cheaper brands were shot in as little as 6-12 months.The OEM last 10+ years and are only marginally more money.

The control arms on my 06 have some cracking in the rubber but are not cracked through or making noise. If I were doing the job, I'd spend the money on OEM, it's not a super easy job and something you want to do again in a few years.

All 100% agreed - it's not an easy job and saving $~75 is hardly worthwhile, considering the aggravation. It took me about 3hrs of concentrated work to do the job a 2nd time, but that was because I had used never seize and everything easily came apart.

I hope you performed the final tightening of the bushing bolts after the vehicle was returned to normal ride height. If the bolts for the bushings are tightened when the suspension is unloaded, the lifespan of the bushings will be reduced.

Originally Posted By: Huie83
The control arms on my 06 have some cracking in the rubber but are not cracked through or making noise. If I were doing the job, I'd spend the money on OEM, it's not a super easy job and something you want to do again in a few years.

Watch the wheel and have someone drive the car slowly and then brake - the wheel will shift backwards on the vehicle and bounce forward when brakes are released. But I'd recommend not waiting for that condition ... tires are expensive and suspension problems cause premature wear. Plan to do the job sooner than later.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
I hope you performed the final tightening of the bushing bolts after the vehicle was returned to normal ride height. If the bolts for the bushings are tightened when the suspension is unloaded, the lifespan of the bushings will be reduced.

I did not, and do not think that's applicable in this case.

The rear bushing is centered with a collar (shown in pic above), and the front bushing obviously pivots as the wheel moves up and down.

Subjecting great amounts of radial and twisting load on the rear rubber bushing is a poor design IMO. Even the factory OEM parts had broken and damaged rear bushings after 9yrs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back