P0441

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2012 Dodge Caravan CREW model with 81k on it P0441 code keeps coming on. It has been off and on for 6 months. I've replaced the gas cap with MOPAR OEM, changed the purge valve solenoid on it, and ran a smoke test through it. The smoke test didn't show anything. We have checked for loose connections, vacuum leaks, cracked hoses, etc. Has anyone else seen this where the P0441 light keeps coming back on? Any suggestions would be helpful!

Last edited:
How the code p0441 is diagnosed:

Without a scan-tool: The first part is to check visually for obvious problems: if the gas cap closed properly, there is no cracks or other damage on the charcoal canister and all vacuum hoses related to the EVAP system are properly connected. If no obvious problem is found, the purge valve needs to be tested next. The purge valve should be normally closed. It opens when voltage is applied to its terminals. The purge valve is typically tested with a hand-held vacuum pump. It should hold the vacuum when closed (no voltage) and open fully when voltage is applied; see the procedure below. Sometimes the purge valve may be sticking intermittently but work properly when tested. If there is any suspicion, the purge valve must be replaced; usually it's not very expensive.
If there are other codes, such as P0446 or P0442, they need to be checked out first, as the P0441 can be triggered by the same fault.
With a scan tool: The manufacturer-specific scan tools usually have capability to run the test of the whole EVAP system. With a generic scan tool, the purge valve must be activated and the EVAP system pressure monitored.

Could also be the vent shut valve not opening. If the vent shut valve does not open, there is no flow through the charcoal canister.

I have also seen the vent lines filled with fuel preventing flow. Usually caused by overfilling the tank.

Last edited:
I seem to remember that 0441 is also the sense signal it incorrect. The sense signal is the voltage to the ecu from the switch in the NVLD connected to a diaphram that says basically I see a vacuum. The solenoid maybe working fine which is why you are not getting a small, medium or large leak code but the switch voltage is not getting to the ecu. It may be a broken wire or corroded terminal between the NVLD and ECU. If you have a good code reader you may be able to pull the freeze frame data.

Edit: Sorry did not see how old this post was. Maybe help someone else.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back