Tacoma PS rack line rusted

Status
Not open for further replies.
My brother had a deer mishap with his truck so he's looking for a new vehicle. We both took the day off yesterday to go car shopping.

We found a very nice 2007 Tacoma TRD with 200k priced on the low side of the KBB suggested price. The body and frame are in awesome shape. Their records showed that it came from the south and it looks to have been rust proofed. It looks like the '07 had the rusty frame recall, but the frame just has surface rust. One thing I found interesting was that the engine had a lot of rusty components. Hose clamps, small brackets etc. The rear springs and brackets were also new.

Too long; don't read: The power steering rack hard line is very rusted. At first I thought the part was replaceable, but it looks like the hard line comes with a new rack. Unless I am missing something, it looks like the whole assembly will need to be replaced. Can anyone confirm this? This as well as the no AC looks like a thing to talk them down on if he decides to go this route.

Thanks everyone. Have a good weekend!

Last edited:
All the lines are replaceable, Rock has Gates pressure line for under $60. Watch that truck though, go over the frame with a fine tooth comb and a pointed hammer, they rot bad. No A/C and 200K knocks that thing down to trade in value or less, nowhere near low end retail book.

I am seeing the high and low pressure hoses on Rock Auto (steel line with rubber hose), but with what I am seeing, the issue line is just steel.

And yes you are right about the price. It needs new tires too. That's easily $700-$800.

Last edited:
They are removable but you would have to get used ones or have them made. Its been my experience that when racks get very rusty its usually not long before they start leaking, I would figure on replacing the rack and lines into the offer.
Unless this is a private party they own this truck for dirt cheap so low ball them till it hurts and beat them senseless for every dollar, you can always go up but not down.

We checked it out again yesterday and took a closer look at where the leaf springs meet the frame. Apparently this is a common failure area and I am assuming on shackle side of the spring. Anyways, it was pretty bad. I flaked off a quarter sized chunk of metal with my thumb. To say the least, we just walked away at that point. Too bad. It was a nice truck and drove great.

Thanks for the advice though Trav. Always appreciated.

They probably wouldn't have taken kindly to me poking holes in their truck!
crackmeup2.gif

It does tend to get some of them worked up, you try to get it on a test drive alone pull over and hammer away, just light tapping no need to knock holes in it.
lol.gif

Go used car shopping with me for a fiasco of a time, by the time I'm done I am asking them to pay me to to take it off their hands.
crackmeup2.gif

Some swear at me, throw me out all sort of stuff as I compile my shopping list but the ones who don't usually end up selling for a fair price.
Don't get me wrong if the car is a real nice vehicle with a good maintenance history I am not beating the owner up I will go over the limit for a real clean well kept piece unfortunately they are few and far between.

Originally Posted By: Trav
It does tend to get some of them worked up, you try to get it on a test drive alone pull over and hammer away, just light tapping no need to knock holes in it.
lol.gif

Go used car shopping with me for a fiasco of a time, by the time I'm done I am asking them to pay me to to take it off their hands.
crackmeup2.gif

Some swear at me, throw me out all sort of stuff as I compile my shopping list but the ones who don't usually end up selling for a fair price.
Don't get me wrong if the car is a real nice vehicle with a good maintenance history I am not beating the owner up I will go over the limit for a real clean well kept piece unfortunately they are few and far between.

I am sure people here would pay money to listen to you tear apart a used vehicle. I know I certainly would.

He ended up going with a "new" 2016 Wrangler by the way. Last years model sale sort of thing..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back