Brake caliper locked up. Will it do it again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday while driving around with a buddy in town we were stopped at a light and I smelled something odd. Mentioned to my friend that someones car near us was getting hot! Couple miles down the road at another intersection I smelled it again but this time I saw some smoke coming out of my right front fender. Pulled into a parking lot, touched the wheel and nearly burned my hand. Man that wheel was hot! Let it set for about 30 minutes to cool and everything seemed to be OK. Dropped my buddy off at his house, checked it no problems. Went home about 15 miles away, no problem except for the brake pad being a little squeaky.

So my questions are:

1. How likely is it that this will happen again?
2. If it's going to happen again. Should I remove it and clean it up or just put a new/re manufactured caliper on it.
3. I'm going to remove the pads and rough them up a bit or replace them today depending on how they look (14,000 miles on the current pads & rotors) Anything else I should be looking at?

Thanks Bob~

If it did it once, it can do it again. I'd look to put a new caliper on it if you don't find another issue with the assembly that would cause the issue. This happened to me many years ago on a nearly new car. When I pulled over, the rotor was glowing red. Dealer replaced the caliper, turned the rotors and replaced the brake pads. 20k miles later that rotor was incredibly rusty while the opposite rotor was fine.

From my past experience, I would change it. The rear brake ratcheting type caliper pistons that was used on some GM cars were bad to lock up. Ended up killing reverse in an automatic transmission.

You can almost bet on it.

2. If it's going to happen again. Should I remove it and clean it up or just put a new/re manufactured caliper on it.
Look at the new Raybestos new calipers on Rock Auto that are similar in price to reman or reman from napa, consider doing both front calipers.

3. I'm going to remove the pads and rough them up a bit or replace them today depending on how they look (14,000 miles on the current pads & rotors) Anything else I should be looking at?
Replace the pads and check rotor run out. Once pads have been overheated they tend to squeal.

Change the caliper and change out the brake hoses as well. Brake hoses collapse inside and trap pressure at the caliper. Rotors? That's your call, you're looking at them.

Thanks for the info so far. BTW this is my 2009 Chevy Silverado 6 liter. 124,000 miles on it so far.

Originally Posted By: Trav
You can almost bet on it.

Yep. Replacement time. You could try to lube it, but that won't be a permanent fix.

My old Isuzu Trooper used to lock up the calipers all the time. I can't believe I never crashed it. Hit the brakes hard and it wanted to turn hard to one side. You had to steer in the other direction to keep it going straight. Had the same issue with my Jeep Cherokee which precipitated the most bizarre experience of my life but that's nothing to do with what you should do.

Front calipers are pretty easy to change and don't cost that much. Do it.

New rebuilt calipers (both sides, new pads since they are cheap and you are already in there, and new rotors if they have any run out. If the rotors are original with 120K+ miles, I would probably change them out on principle.

It's going to happen again sooner or later. Take the caliper off. Remove the piston. Clean up the corrosion on the piston or caliper bore that is causing the binding. Inspect the seal and dust boot and replace if necessary. Put it back together. Change your brake fluid. Change your brake fluid on a regular basis and this shouldn't happen.

Originally Posted By: NibbanaBanana
It's going to happen again sooner or later. Take the caliper off. Remove the piston. Clean up the corrosion on the piston or caliper bore that is causing the binding. Inspect the seal and dust boot and replace if necessary. Put it back together. Change your brake fluid. Change your brake fluid on a regular basis and this shouldn't happen.

This is what I'd do (except I don't bother inspecting seals or boots, just replace 'em), but you 'mericans get re-man stuff so cheap if I were you I'd just do both calipers. If it stuck once, it'll absolutely do it again unless you attend to it.

Originally Posted By: NibbanaBanana
Change your brake fluid. Change your brake fluid on a regular basis and this shouldn't happen.

Brake fluid has been changed 3 times since new. (complete flush, not the turkey baster method)

Last edited:
This often happens when moisture gets past the piston seal on the rotor side. Whether that or from moisture in the fluid (sounds not since you've flushed three times in 120k), this won't get better on its own and it will get worse when you can least afford it. Easy replacement, not too expensive. I bought Brembo consumer calipers and rotors very affordable on Amazon.

Originally Posted By: oldhp
Change the caliper and change out the brake hoses as well. Brake hoses collapse inside and trap pressure at the caliper. Rotors? That's your call, you're looking at them.

Absolutely make sure you change out the rubber brake hose section whatever else you do. They deteriorate over time on the inside as oldhp says and can cause problems. Had this exact thing happen to me with my old GMC 2500HD.

It may be a stuck caliper pin and NOT the caliper itself. Check those before replacing the caliper.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
It may be a stuck caliper pin and NOT the caliper itself. Check those before replacing the caliper.

This, a hardware problem, is possible. Even the pad ears could have grown from rust. Bust this all apart and if you haven't hit anything obvious by the time you get to the caliper do it and its hose-- the hose will be cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back