Long term review of plastidip on front grille

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I was doing some maintenance the other day and was taking a look overall at everything. Anyway last July I decided to plastidip my factory chrome grille. Not much of a chrome person and the black I figured would look decent. On close inspection I can't find one bad spot or Rock chip after 9,200 miles and 12 months with 75% highway driving. I was gonna post a picture but I'm used to forums hosting pictures. I haven't done the upload to photo bucket thing in years. This is on a Infiniti G35, decent sized front grille.

I've never used plastidip before because people always told me it doesn't hold up, especially on the front of a car or high traffic area. Others either I guess didn't apply it correctly, or whatever.

If you want accessories or something like a grille plastidipped in a matte or satin. I recommend it. I can't vouch for big areas or anything over 12 months and 9k miles however.

I do have a good amount of experience in paint correction, touch ups, painting furniture, various other things with spray cans so I've developed a great technique. In my experience anything in a spray can would require around 4 coats to equal 1 coat of a regular air compressor sprayed paint.

Just thought I would give a little review of my experience if anyone was wondering

You can upload photos here. The button is the 5th on over.
upload_image.png

Smilies, URL link, Email Link, Image link, and picture upload.

Last edited:
Yes, you can upload and host here.

Curious what your process was, since you mention that others might not have done it right.

Can it be removed without issues?

Never have used plastidip on a grille, but have used it on fishing stand cup holders where the reel sits. It keeps the bait caster reels from getting scratches. It's very durable, but the color will fade over the years. Only used black and red, and both of those colors will fade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back