Odd Foreign Objects in your tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are some odd items you have picked up in the treads..
Flat tires or not.. pictures a huge bonus

I got one today..
Driving to Wade Park VA hospital in Cleveland.
I'm going through the near-ghetto area.

Giant Revival going on at the Church. about 500 people standing around.
25 caskets on the sidewalk.. old lady with a sign saying
"I'd rather have Jesus than Dope"

I made a somewhat funny comment.. then BOOM Instant KARMA.. to the tire.

These Firestone Destination AT are magnets.. I had a puncture in another tire..
now this in the passenger rear tire.
Previously I had went 150000+ miles without a flat(or Puncture).. dating back to about 2004

Technically this wasnt a flat I limped it to the sidewalk.. then across 5 lanes to change the tire at Dollar General Parking lot.. With it sticking 1" out of the tire.
It was a Near-Hood type area and I was highly nervous but no issues.

Considering replacing it..
or buying 4 yokohama geolandar G015 in 245/70r17 (1" taller)

I can wait for a sale I have a fullsize spare.

Tire might be plugable but the spark plug penetrating it was .4" and it got beat up driving it a few hundred feet. imagine its a major weak spot in the tire now vs a simple nail/screw or shoulder bolt flush object.

After removing the object the hole is aprox 1/4"

I had a railroad spike go through my rear motorcycle tire AND the aluminum rim (1972 BMW R50/5). Instant flat and "clank- clank - clank" noise. No wreck as I was only going about 15 MPH approaching a light but it ruined my day!

While it is probably theoretically plug-able. I would no have confidence in it.

Not only was the penetrating object over 50% larger than the allowable puncture (rma guidelines)
I had to drive on it with it sticking out an inch from the tire for about 500ft.
Was making the whole car shudder.
It actually was holding air.. still had 30psi 6 hours after damage.(36psi factory spec)

I am OCD about tires I have to have 100% confidence in them. at the minimum it would need to be dismounted inspected and patch-plugged. No string plugs on that.. might be tore up inside too.

Was an NGK D8EA
Looks like a Motorcycle/ATV plug
My first thought was that it might be a shot out plug from the 5.4

Bummer that you picked up a puncture that bad/large as the tires appear to have a lot of life left in them. When a buddy of mine in high school worked at a small town gas station that also did tire repairs they had a collection of things they'd pulled from tires. Lots of weird things I wouldn't have ever expected to see.

Yeah... Once a truck dropped a little piece of metal, and timing was right to take out one tire. It didn't embed, but man was I annoyed...

Originally Posted By: Rand

Me either. A spark plug is too big. That is a crazy thing to puncture a tire.

I have bad luck with things going through right at the edge of the tread, but it's almost always nails/screws. A while back I ran over a piece of metal that sliced the side of a Goodyear Wrangler Radial open like butter; that's the only immediate failure I've had. I would say 60% of the time the tire can be plugged and 40% there is sidewall damage where I have to buy a new tire. I usually buy about 2 replacement tires a year due to damage. Birmingham has more road debris than any other city I've been in.

Interestingly, I had the best luck with Destination A/Ts. Never lost one to a nail. Might have plugged one, but that's it. I did have to replace one due to crash damage, the metal front bumper cut into one of the tires. It seemed okay initially, but the cut grew over time and eventually I could lift it up and see a belt, so I replaced it.

I pulled a tire off a rim with a slit in it when I worked at Walmart. Looked like someone had knifed it, but there was an object moving around inside the tire. It was a completely worn out brake pad that somehow ended up shoved through the tread.
Also pulled a .223 cartridge out of one, but we're pretty rural so not really shocking.

Maybe appropriate, maybe not, but Hoods use Spark Plugs to break car windows. Depending on your neighborhood, and if it was in a parking lot (theft area) that might explain what it was doing there. They will go to the auto parts store and steal or buy new plugs.

I once had a slow leak that no one could figure out. The tire was removed several times. Finally one guy took it apart and found a fish bone, that I had picked up driving down the beach (Bolivar Peninsula, near Galveston). The tip of the bone had turned black, matching the color of the tread, so no one could easily see it.

That's a strange one. I might have told this story before. I got a flat on the highway between here and Saskatoon, back when I had my LTD. My dad had a tire changer and balancer, so I just got a new tire and went to do the mounting myself. There was a small crescent wrench in the tire, of all things. It had penetrated and gone right in, and I found it when I dismounted the tire. I still have the wrench, in working condition. This would have been maybe 1991.

I've kept the couple hundred objects I found in tires I've repaired or replaced over the last 15 years. Always repaired from the inside of course. Almost 75% of the time it is the right rear tire. Most of the debris is near the edge of the road, and the right front tire stands it up, and the RR tire snags it! I hate fixing flats!

Last edited:
Bought a new set of Bridgestone tires. By the time I got home from the shop, one tire was going flat. Was a piece of mulch. Watched the tire shop pull it out. New patch on brand new tires sucks.

Originally Posted By: Rand

Not only was the penetrating object over 50% larger than the allowable puncture (rma guidelines)
I had to drive on it with it sticking out an inch from the tire for about 500ft.
Was making the whole car shudder.
It actually was holding air.. still had 30psi 6 hours after damage.(36psi factory spec)

I am OCD about tires I have to have 100% confidence in them. at the minimum it would need to be dismounted inspected and patch-plugged. No string plugs on that.. might be tore up inside too.

Was an NGK D8EA
Looks like a Motorcycle/ATV plug
My first thought was that it might be a shot out plug from the 5.4

I am the same way myself if I don't have confidence and rubber I can't have confidence in anything else. If you're trying to wait for a sale have that Tire repaired and put on your spare rim put the spare tire on the factory rim if the cost of that doesnt bother you. That would definitely not be a permanent tire on my vehicle maybe if it was a local only vehicle with the damage closer to the center of the tire and a patch plug was used.

Brand new $550 Tire on I-95 in Brunswick Georgia passing the exit ramp at a tire shop I ran over a car antenna, when I got to the tire shop he pulled it out then realized it was telescopic tried to pull out the other piece ended up having to drill it out of the tire

It is a bummer the tires have 8000miles and that one in particular is showing 12/32 tread.. the spare measured in the same spot was 13/32.

I was considering selling them and buying other tires but I was actually semi-happy with them for OEM tires.. they arent the normal Low RR, bad traction kind you usually get.

I was thinking about getting yokohama g015 in 245/70r17 (stock 245/65r17)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back