Ford financing rates

Status
Not open for further replies.

wtd

My fiancee is going to be buying a new 2017 Ford 150 supercrew 4x4 on Saturday. The finance guy is telling me that even with excellent credit, she will probably be paying 7.25% That sounds very high. He said that if she went with the 0% for 60 months, she would have to give up all of the incentives and rebates which total about 6 or 7 thousand dollars. Currently the truck is discounted about $12,000 with all rebates and the dealer discount.

Has anyone very recently bought a new Ford vehicle or know what the Ford lending rates are for excellent credit. Part of the rebates are tied to Ford financing. She will be re-financing later anyway but I was curious if they are trying to rip her off on the financing.

I know this was four years ago but when I bought my new 14 Mustang GT, I got 1.99% financing. I didn't think interest rates have gone up this high in four years. Thanks.

Wayne

Last edited:
I bought a car in April rate was 3.75% as I recall. I hope this helps. Have you checked with a local credit union they can often beat dealer rates.

Why not acquire a more affordable vehicle that need not be financed? Especially if at 7.25%.

The terms I've seen often say either/or. Not sure if that's always the case.

Credit unions may have better rates.

We know we can get better rates elsewhere and will later but we want to get the rebate that is tied to financing. I just can't believe that 7.25% is the best they can do.

As far as buying a different vehicle, she is downsizing from a 1 ton supercrew superduty to this truck. She wants a truck and can easily afford one.

The idiot salesman think you are fools.

How do they break down the finance incentive? Is there a pre-payment penalty? Penfed has new car loans at 2.99% for 60 months. Need more info to see if it's worth it to ditch the financing or not.You can also mention the penfed rate of 2.99 and see how much they come down. It's 1.49% if you do it in 36 months.

https://www.penfed.org/auto/new-auto-loans

Zero down! 5.99% APR financing OAC for 27 months!!! Standard messaging and data plan rates may apply. 30 days to first payment! Batteries not included. Limited time offer at participating locations. Deal subject to change without notice!!! HURRY IN,WONT LAST LONG (the cars, not the deals)!
happy2.gif

The financing incentive is only $1,250 but we want the discount. Just to be clear again, she will be refinancing as soon as possible to get a lower rate. I just want some information on what people have seen with Ford Credit financing so that I can tell the finance guy he is full of it. We don't like to be screwed. She would walk out of the deal in a heartbeat if I find concrete information that he is lying about Ford's financing rates for people with excellent credit. Thanks.

Wayne

Friend last year took the financing with all the rebates and the next month paid it off. Was better than cash upfront and they had no early payoff penalty.
Car sales are not looking good for a third quarter but truck and SUV are pretty fair. I haven't watched the car and truck market since June when the last manufactures reports were put out. Still may get a pony car this fall if things are right and a family member has interest in the Scion.

Last edited:
Just plugging in Springfield, MO, Ford is offering 0% for 60 months + $1000 trade assistance.

I don't see any official rebates other than that.

Don't know where you are in SW MO, but I wonder what the dealer is really offering.

Quote:

0% APR for 60 mos.
Ford Credit Financing
Plus
$1,000
Trade Assist
$1,000 Trade-In Assistance Bonus Cash (PGM #30242). Not all buyers will qualify for Ford Credit financing. 0% APR financing for 60 months at $16.67
per month per $1,000 financed regardless of down payment (PGM #20838). Trade-In Assistance Bonus Cash is available to customers who currently
own or lease a 1995 or newer vehicle who trade-in or have a lease expiring from 30 days prior to through 90 days after new retail delivery. Customers
must have owned or leased the trade-in vehicle for a minimum of 30 days prior to the sale date of the new vehicle. Not available on Raptor. Residency
restrictions apply. For all offers, take new retail delivery from dealer stock by 7/31/17. See dealer for qualifications and complete details.

Get some pre-approved loans at other places if you are set on this vehicle and run the numbers.

If Ford is really only offering $1k and the other $11k are dealer discounts and trade in value, then it may make sense to finance somewhere else.

I.E. $30k borrowed at 7.25% is a $598/mo payment, total payments $35,855.

If the rate drops to 2.99% the payment drops to $539 total payments of $32,336

Now I'm assuming financing the same amount, if you lose the rebate, you finance another $1000, but you can see the difference is around $3500 by just cutting the interest rate. If you can get something like that 2.99% it makes sense to leave the $1k in rebates on the table in this example.

I don't know how much you would really finance. It takes about 1.5-2% drop in the rate to make up for the $1k rebate, depending on how much you finance. The less you finance, the lower the rate needs to be to make up for the lost rebate.

Do your math and have options before going in to sign anything.
(or suggest she do this...)

I'm at 2.74%/60mos. through my CU with an 800+ credit score, less than a month ago. If she has great credit, she should be close.

I was at 2.49%/36mos. on my last loan 2 years ago.

That's odd; it seems so high; go and check their site, and what promotions the currently have.

Usually 730 and up qualifies for the best rate; if you need to go with ford finance in order to utilize all the discounts go for it, then next months take your loan elsewhere;

My credit union offers 2.99% nowadays

One of my friends got stuck at 3.99% from the dealer. He refinanced at a Credit Union 20 days later at 1.75%. He had to finance with the dealer to get a $1,000 rebate.

The manufacturers will offer deep incentives if you take credit from their company. Supposedly you are agreeing to stay at their rate for a certain amount of time. But there is nothing really that Ford can do if you get their loan which includes the $7k in incentives and then the next month refinance to a real rate.

I went through a similar scenario when I bought my Mustang new.
I pretty much had a choice: take the money or the 0% rate.
In doing the math, the cost was similar either way. The option was take the money up front or use the incentive to buy down the interest rate.
The solution was take the money, wait for two payment cycles and then refinance the car.

All of the incentives on the truck equal to $5,250 so I was a little high before. The dealer has about a %6,750 discount on top of the rebates. The finance guy told me that for us to get the 0% for 60 months, we would not get any of the $5,250 incentives. He said for a 60 or 72 month loan, the finance rate would still be the 7.25%. He said that Ford has terrible interest rates right now. After reading some things online and the responses here, I think he is full of it. Ford credit should have huge lending strength.

I have never seen a dealer be that far above what a local bank or credit union can give.

Fatboymoe's rate above just two months ago is over 3% less and I don't think the interest rates have jumped up that much in two months have they?

By charging that high of an interest rate, Ford seems to be begging people to finance elsewhere and that does not make much business sense.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back