Vibration at highway speeds that will not go away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you check for the splines being loose where they insert into wheel hub?

This sounds much like the Scirocco come and go thing I had on front half shafts.

Luckily we didn't have traction control to go off back then.

Originally Posted By: 40w8
Did you check for the splines being loose where they insert into wheel hub?

This sounds much like the Scirocco come and go thing I had on front half shafts.

Luckily we didn't have traction control to go off back then.

I didn't actually check the torque of the axle nut itself but it appeared tight. I will have a look though.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
....I drive it a couple hours ago and went to pass from the slow lane to the middle lane on a 3 lane highway. I was going 65mph when I turned to switch lanes the traction control abs freaked out the car went violently left and I was turning right and on the brakes and it kept going left. It went through both lanes and stoped on the shoulder of the side of the highway. After it did this it's acting normal again just moderate vibration. I'm not driving it anymore.

??????

Your Anti-Chrysler doesn't need a mechanic. It needs an exorcist.

Well the problem is it would for awhile come and go. I believe I was mistaking that for it getting better. I drive it a couple hours ago and went to pass from the slow lane to the middle lane on a 3 lane highway. I was going 65mph when I turned to switch lanes the traction control abs freaked out the car went violently left and I was turning right and on the brakes and it kept going left. It went through both lanes and stoped on the shoulder of the side of the highway. After it did this it's acting normal again just moderate vibration. I'm not driving it anymore.

Kind of sounds like a bad tone ring in a wheel bearing.

Maybe this is all just a bad wheel bearing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Well the problem is it would for awhile come and go. I believe I was mistaking that for it getting better. I drive it a couple hours ago and went to pass from the slow lane to the middle lane on a 3 lane highway. I was going 65mph when I turned to switch lanes the traction control abs freaked out the car went violently left and I was turning right and on the brakes and it kept going left. It went through both lanes and stoped on the shoulder of the side of the highway. After it did this it's acting normal again just moderate vibration. I'm not driving it anymore.

Bearing is tight with no noise though. I don't know how else to check them.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech

+1, a good jolt after hitting a pothole could have damaged one or both of them. Since he's a mechanic he maybe able to replace them for not a lot of money.

So what is the dealer having to say now?

FWIW, Had a look at a Dart GT exhaust the other day. It is one piece from the converter to the rear valence and the converter is just rear of the K member. It is supported by several hangers, notably two on each side forward near the converter, and two on the transverse rear muffler. There is also one on the pipe aft of the kink in it and approximately at the rear suspension cross member.

I can easily see how removing the rear muffler and thus the two supports could cause the exhaust and remaining hanger to be under stress and misaligned, possibly causing the exhaust to vibrate against the tunnel or other components.

That should leave witness marks though.

Also, it would be a bit of a hassle on the ground, but it is two bolts and the five hangers to change... I’d bet you could snag one from LKQ for cheap.

So, based on the tire thread, since you didn't update this one:

1. You had an axle shaft with an issue, which was replaced, which solved most of it.
2. You also had a tire issue, which was masked by the axle shaft issue.

So, where do we stand on this part:

I was going 65mph when I turned to switch lanes the traction control abs freaked out the car went violently left and I was turning right and on the brakes and it kept going left. It went through both lanes and stoped on the shoulder of the side of the highway. After it did this it's acting normal again just moderate vibration. I'm not driving it anymore.

21.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
So, based on the tire thread, since you didn't update this one:

1. You had an axle shaft with an issue, which was replaced, which solved most of it.
2. You also had a tire issue, which was masked by the axle shaft issue.

So, where do we stand on this part:

I was going 65mph when I turned to switch lanes the traction control abs freaked out the car went violently left and I was turning right and on the brakes and it kept going left. It went through both lanes and stoped on the shoulder of the side of the highway. After it did this it's acting normal again just moderate vibration. I'm not driving it anymore.

21.gif

Yes, in the future please go back and post updates and/or how it was resolved in your threads. Often you just leave them open with no resolution at the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back