best filter ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
getting ready to change fluid and filter in my "new to me " 2000 pontiac bonneville ssei. dex 6 is the fluid i'm going to use, but what and who carries the best filters ? i have a advanced auto parts store two blocks away and was looking over their filters and don't really know where to buy. auotzone and napa not to far away either. any suggestions ?

Not to throw a wet blanket on the whole deal but I wouldn't worry to much about the filter, get the one from NAPA and call it done, the 4th gear input shaft or forward band will probably fail long before anything else does if its the original unit.
The 4T65E was iffy especially the earlier ones like this one. The good news is once its rebuilt with a few goodies its a very good unit and not that expensive to do.

When it comes to tranny filters including 4T65Es, no filter can get rid of the wear metals that wind up
in the PCS solenoids or the shift solenoids which causes tons of shift issues.

Tranny filters at best may filter out clutch plate material - period. But you'll always need one since
they easily load up and restrict suction at the oil pump inlet and create shift issues too.

Wear metals are supper fine (.1 to 10 microns) and can only be caught with magnets, & GM uses the crummiest they can get.

Search "4T65E Magnets" there's a TSB where GM half-admits they did it wrong!

I loaded my 4T65E oil pan inside with lots of magnets to reduce the effect of metals in the ATF
and solenoid problems, works well. Be sure to test fit the pan to see that magnets don't hit anywhere since clearance
is near zero.

The filter has a metal plate intake that's recessed from the bottom of the pan, good place for 4 to 6 magnets!

i got the AC Delco filter and two new magnets coming my way today. i must thank everyone for all the info here. i would have never known about the magnet without coming here first. THANKS !

Originally Posted By: hardheaded
where are you buying these magnets at ?

Recently got the two GM magnets at Rock Auto for 6.90 ea. Also check out the diff. tube clamp made by Sonnax, part # 84532-01K. A cheap,worthwhile addition while the pan is off.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Lubener
Originally Posted By: hardheaded
where are you buying these magnets at ?

Recently got the two GM magnets at Rock Auto for 6.90 ea. Also check out the diff. tube clamp made by Sonnax, part # 84532-01K. A cheap,worthwhile addition while the pan is off.

Sorry too late but others might want to check out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back