Assembly Lube Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to be replacing the tappets in my MGB engine soon. This is not really out of necessity, but as a consequence of changing some other parts in the engine.

I've always been advised that the face of new flat tappets should have some assembly lube smeared on them to protect them(and the cam) until oil can reach them.

With that in mind, can anyone suggest a good assembly lube? I've searched for suggestions on one, but can't get anything specific. I was in Autozone yesterday and the only assembly lube they had was Lucas, although I'm certainly not adverse to shopping elsewhere or ordering online.

I use VR-1 20W-50 in this engine. It's also my understanding that I should coat the "cup" of the pushrods and the tops of the valves with some of this before start-up to make sure they're lubed since it will take a bit of time for oil to spread through the rocker shaft and get on these parts. Should I do this, or use an assembly lube in those locations also?

I use Redline assembly lube and it seems to do the job just fine.

https://www.amazon.com/Red-Line-80312-Assembly-Lube/dp/B002INU8CM

The little 4oz tub should last me a lifetime. I only use it when I have to remove camshafts on motorcycle engines to do valve adjustments.

Note that some manuals seem to suggest you mix assembly lube and motor oil into a blend before applying. I've done it that way or just put the assembly lube on plain and no issues.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
I use Redline assembly lube and it seems to do the job just fine.

https://www.amazon.com/Red-Line-80312-Assembly-Lube/dp/B002INU8CM

The little 4oz tub should last me a lifetime. I only use it when I have to remove camshafts on motorcycle engines to do valve adjustments.

Note that some manuals seem to suggest you mix assembly lube and motor oil into a blend before applying. I've done it that way or just put the assembly lube on plain and no issues.

Good stuff.

51Za1zNt2PL._SL1273_.jpg

I use this on flat tappets, and flat tappet cam lobes, rocker arms and valve to rocker arm contacts, it claims you can, but i don't use it on bearings. I have had a tube of this since about 1988 or so a little goes a long way.

https://www.amazon.com/Moroso-35000-Moly...roso+moly+paste

Originally Posted By: onemig
Permatex has one. It is very tacky and is sure to remain on the part.

Just used that, seems to work fine, and it's bright blood red so you know you applied it. Or a colleague bled all over your work. I am sure the Lucas stuff is just fine too.

Thanks guys for the suggestions. The Lubriplate sounds like the favorite, but I also like the sound of the Permatex being tacky.

One thing that would be enormously helpful to me is if the lube were tacky enough to hold the tappets to the pushrods while I put them down in their bore. I'm generally a big fan of doing it right, but at the same time would really like to avoid removing the exhaust manifold(again) so that I can get to the tappet inspection covers. That's normally how tappets are fitted on this engine.

Originally Posted By: bunnspecial
Thanks guys for the suggestions. The Lubriplate sounds like the favorite, but I also like the sound of the Permatex being tacky.

One thing that would be enormously helpful to me is if the lube were tacky enough to hold the tappets to the pushrods while I put them down in their bore..

The Permatex is tacky like a chainsaw bar oil, but it does run. The Lubriplate is a light grease, not going anywhere.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
STP oil treatment is fine for that application

That's what I've always used as an assembly lube too. Works well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back