Good idea to change oil filter every 5000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
When letting your oil changes go 10,000 and above? After all, the filter traps all the mess/dirt/sediment. Or does the high quality oils of today self cleaning enough to not worry about changing a filter every 5000 miles?

For the prices and deals most of us get on oils and filters, it makes no sense to ever go longer than 5,000 or 6 months.
Most warranties state 6 ,000 or 6 months. Since I have company vehicle alot of times I change my oil at less than 3,000 miles in 6 months.
But oil is cheap on closeouts and I think the planet has plenty.

There are many filters on the market that lasts 10k-15k miles and costs less in the long run then buying a few filters at a part store.

From Ultra
Purolator Pure One
Napa Platinum

They are all very good options and will provider better filtration.

Honda says to change filter every other oil change on many of its vehicles. Its a small filter too. OLM indicates changes around 5000-7000 miles.

A filter does actually filter better with some particles in it. When it gets too full and goes into bypass is the scary part.

Originally Posted By: Mustangmaster
When letting your oil changes go 10,000 and above? After all, the filter traps all the mess/dirt/sediment. Or does the high quality oils of today self cleaning enough to not worry about changing a filter every 5000 miles?

OK, here is the truth (and you will find this to be true after researching it)

The filter is a full flow - that means it has pretty big pores, and it ONLY traps the REALLY big stuff.
Leaving it on for 2X OCI's is fine, and I often do 3x OCI's.... I even ran one 30,000 on regualr oil changes, and it was just fine when disassembling it later.

Filters = meh. Changing the oil when it gets nasty is more important.

Originally Posted By: dareo
Honda says to change filter every other oil change on many of its vehicles. Its a small filter too.

Correct - this is because they KNOW it doesn't really help much.
A filter does actually filter better with some particles in it.

Yes, also true. Especially true with air filters (proven)
When it gets too full and goes into bypass is the scary part.

It just doesn't happen as much as some people like to think it might happen.

The manufacturer of my latest car recommends changing the filter every other oil change so... 30,000 miles max.

I'll change the oil every year and the filter every other.

Originally Posted By: Mustangmaster
Or does the high quality oils of today self cleaning enough to not worry about changing a filter every 5000 miles?

Research "detergents" and "dispersants"... that is what modern oil is full of,
and keeps all the "teeny tiny little bits" in suspension....
and they flow right through the filter with no issues at all.

Since they are less than 10 microns, even the very best oil filters barely catch any at all.
A good bypass filter (2 microns ABSOLUTE) should cath them.... but IN REALITY - it only adds marginal life to good engine designs.

Oddly, my 454 (7.4L) in my 1995 K3500 doesn't use any oil - with 272,000 miles on it. It's never seen synthetic oil and always had the cheapest filter money could buy. Strange, huh?

Originally Posted By: Linctex

Oddly, my 454 (7.4L) in my 1995 K3500 doesn't use any oil - with 272,000 miles on it. It's never seen synthetic oil and always had the cheapest filter money could buy. Strange, huh?

Lol yep, sometimes I think we're all overthinking this and even if we just used bulk dino oil and dirt cheap filters changed once in a while, our engines would last just as long as running a diet of say M1, RP, Amsoil and Fram Ultra's.

It'd be neat to see a controlled study of identical vehicles with the same driving routes, with one group using top notch synthetic and top notch filters, and the other running jiffy lube oils and bottom barrel filters.

You could end up with even more wear by changing the filter every time. Think about it, empty filter takes the oil pressure away for a few seconds to fill it back up. That literally could be more wear than running another 7500 miles on the same quality filter.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
2 OCI's and 15K miles for me.

Same here for the Civic. I'll change the oil and filter every 7500 miles in the Subie, until the warranty is up. I could lie and fudge the books, but that wouldn't sit right with me. I'll double the filter change interval once the warranty is up.

You could end up with even more wear by changing the filter every time. Think about it, empty filter takes the oil pressure away for a few seconds to fill it back up. That literally could be more wear than running another 7500 miles on the same quality filter.

Depends on the filter configuration. On both my Ram and Scat Pack, the filter is installed vertically. I always fill the filters up with fresh oil before installation.

Some of the data posted here show wear reduction in longer runs, theory on this points to a tribochemical barrier reducing wear.

Fresh oil add pack detergent and dispersants clear that barrier away and starts the process new.

In a dome end down filter orientation, with a bypass in the dome vs the bypass in the base those few seconds of morning startup could be sucking some of the gunk that falls to the bottom of the filter into the engine during that momentary opening event that occurs during startup rpm flair.

UD

Every other oil change is what I do. Up to a point the filter will work better the longer you leave it in. As for worrying that the bypass will open and send the engine unfiltered oil. The bypass opens at every cold start regardless of how old the filter is.

I can't get a premium filter (except purolator, not going there again) for my IS, so I have been gradually stepping up. Next stop, 20k miles. I'll start at 20k for the rx, jeep is clean finally, I'll start that at 10-15k. Shared sump bikes produce more debris, so no more than 15k. Harley will have that wiz on there for 20k at least.
I don't see any engine needing to have the filter changed sub 15k, unless it's a budget filter that can't, or a nasty engine undergoing cleanup.

Originally Posted By: barryh
As for worrying that the bypass will open and send the engine unfiltered oil. The bypass opens at every cold start regardless of how old the filter is.

Right.

So in a dome and bypass down orientation, the pool of gunk is right in front of the bypass.

UD

I remenber my dads 1965 ford galaxy, owners manual said every other oil change for the filter.
Looks like they have gone full circle.

Last edited:
5K is my routine with a NEW filter, hate the idea of putting fresh oil in with a dirty filter.
31.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back