How often to replace trans cooler lines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The line that takes trans fluid to the radiator on my XJ blew today...getting it replaced. Would it be prudent to replace the return line as well? It's a 96 with 133k miles.

Thanks!

I have never seen more rusty vehicles than in WI.

I stopped at a NAPA this weekend and the owner said that 80% of his business is Brakes...including brake lines. He couldn't believe that my 15 year old truck still had the original calipers...he honestly did not believe me until I told him the truck and I live in the West.

If one of your transmission lines has rusted through then the other is probably not far behind.

But some other guys might chime in different...it really depends more on your personality than anything else.

It didn't rust through, but the rubber either chaffed or split on its own.

But yeah we have tons of rust here!

You might want to inspect the brake lines and fuel lines while you're at it. Replace them when the rust starts scaling. I've done many such jobs. I keep my cars a long time.

It has new brake lines, but right now I'm mainly concerned about the trans lines...should those be replaced regularly like radiator hoses?

Might as well replace it.

Don't worry, I won't post pics of the trans cooler lines on my Jeep that look brand new
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper

The lower runs really close to the harmonic balancer...did it make contact?

Originally Posted By: dishdude

The lower runs really close to the harmonic balancer...did it make contact?

Good point....I don't think so since the split is on the top and more to the driver's side of the balancer.

I know to replace this line...but my question is should the other trans line be replaced as well?

The line that takes trans fluid to the radiator on my XJ blew today...getting it replaced. Would it be prudent to replace the return line as well? It's a 96 with 133k miles.

Thanks!

Yep, I'd replace the return also.

To answer the thread's question:

Looks like every 20 years.
27.gif

Last edited:
I would the return is under the same pressure which is low but nevertheless the rubber is just as degraded. I would guess 15-20 yrs for OE parts 10 yrs for aftermarket in those conditions.

It has new brake lines, but right now I'm mainly concerned about the trans lines...should those be replaced regularly like radiator hoses?

I've never heard of this happening before.... but you can safely assume if one went, the other is near the end of it's life, too.... (or might last another 5-10 years, who knows...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back