sticky ignition switch or key cylinder ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
My ford expeditions key rotation is not smooth.
Any way to tell without taking it apart. Tried spare/new condition key and still noticed same stickiness not smooth key rotation.

I might add once in a while it is very smooth
smile.gif

Spray liquid silicone into lock tumbler, blow out with air and try it. The pins get dirty or key gets worn and won't completely engage all the pins.

I sell a bunch of key cylinders for those, 1L3Z-11582-A. You have to assemble them to your existing key so you do not have to program new keys. A lot of times we have to make a new key code since the customer's keys are too worn to get a good measurement on. A 1999 MY vehicle would be too old for a dealer to get a key code from Ford to make a fresh key.

I don't know if it could harm anything but I sprayed WD-40 in my tumbler once because the key would stick and it worked fine after that.

First, I would try some dry graphite powder from a squeeze tube. A couple/few gentle sprays in the cylinder may be all it needs. While I haven't had a need to use it in an automotive application recently, it works well in finicky home locks for me. A small tube of powered graphite is very inexpensive, and goes a long way IME.

I must be getting old.

I realized that i might not be pushing the key in while turning. So if i use enough force pushing it in it rotates smoothly.

I appreciate all the answers which still might come in handy. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back