Windshield Tint

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd recommend a low-e or high quality thermal film. Many states don't allow you to tint the windshield but the low-e films are just as effective at reducing heat gain.

I have CXP 80(~$125), which is slightly better than the Air 80($150) in both price and performance. I did consider the 3M Crystalline, but $355 was a little steep for my cars.

It is technically illegal in Texas, as they are tinted. However, as most windshields have built in tint and the tint is so minimal, you can't tell it is tinted. I suppose it would be noticeable if the install did a poor job of it, but luckily he didn't. In order to get ticketed or fined, it would first have to be detected.

Blupupher, I can show you my cars if you'd like. I find the I-10 commute to be much more pleasant now. Most of the radiant energy is through the windshield when driving East in the morning and West in the evening.

I re-checked with my tint shop and they said exactly what Coprolite said above. It isn't technically legal to use the 80% film. There are clearer films, but they don't block enough heat to warrant spending the money. Given how clearly one can see through the windshield with the 80% tint I seriously doubt it will become an issue, but the legality was worth finding out, just in case.

Thanks for the pics Coprolite.

I still think there is too much tint for me (and definitely too much for my wife).
If I only drove in the daytime, then sure, but I do a lot of night driving on dark roads, and I want all the light I can get.

DBMaster, I was looking at their site and saw they have a 90%, but as you said, it greatly reduces how effective it is.

If the windshield is tinted, is a space left for the inspection stickers? Does that area need to be taped to the windshield so it doesnt get loose?

I would think so long as you are careful taking the sticker off, it would not be an issues (at least the one's in Texas are not too bad). At least they no longer have inspection stickers here that a guy in a garage would use a scraper to remove, that would ruin the tint for sure.

Just realized I have the 55% CXP on the front side windows of the Scion (rear windows have OEM tint), and it does an excellent job of reducing heat in the car. I had to convince my wife to let me do even the 55% on the sides (she thinks the 35% on mine is too dark).

I was concerned about the stickers, too. As blupupher states, the Texas registration sticker peels off intact pretty easily. The tint guy said he likes to push the sticky side against his shirt a couple of times to deaden the adhesive for easier removal. He told me that I should have no fear of using solvent (naptha) to clean up adhesive residue - the tint can handle it. Obviously, you don't want to use a razor scraper. An idea occurred to me and I'm about to test it. I ordered some clear static cling film on eBay. I'm going to stick the sticker to the cling film and then stick that to the inside of the windshield. If it works well I'm going to do that for everything, even the ones I install for people who don't have tinted windshields.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
... An idea occurred to me and I'm about to test it. I ordered some clear static cling film on eBay. I'm going to stick the sticker to the cling film and then stick that to the inside of the windshield. If it works well I'm going to do that for everything, even the ones I install for people who don't have tinted windshields.

I had thought of that too, but have found the new ones (with the blue border) come off easily enough. I actually just took one off today on my truck. I do dog ear the new tag to give me something to grab on to when removing, as well as not pushing all the way around the sticker, just a touch here and there and it stays on all year.
If I had a tinted windshield, I probably would try the static cling, or as said, maybe make it less sticky somehow (against your shirt, seat, oily fingers, etc).

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: Kira
Was there any brand name of that 80% ceramic tint film?

Llumar Air Blue 80 is a great choice for this application.

Exactly. Have it on both my cars. Can't even visually tell it's there.

It is illegal here technically, but you seriously can not tell. For those worried, they make two lighter versions now, Air 90 and Au 85.

http://cdn.llumar.com/drupal/llautospecifications_20140715_0.pdf
Where did you buy that from?

I used the clear plastic protective film that comes on phones/tablets. They have the static side and the smooth side and stuck the stickers to them and then to the film. No problems at all and can easily rearrange.

I still need to find windshield shades for the cars as the new job doesn't have a parking garage.

Originally Posted By: Coprolite
I used the clear plastic protective film that comes on phones/tablets. They have the static side and the smooth side and stuck the stickers to them and then to the film. No problems at all and can easily rearrange.

Great idea! I'll bet plastic film screen protectors would work, too. The stuff I ordered come in small rectangles, each plenty large for one sticker. It is three pieces for 99 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back